Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

staying for the kids

staying for the kids

Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

scratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to all
Default staying for the kids

hi

has anyone with children felt that australia is not for them and wanted to return to the uk but has ended up staying in oz because the kids would prefer there life in australia?

scratchey
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:11 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: staying for the kids

I think if you head to the 'Moving back to the UK' part of the forum you may find some people in this situation.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

carolinelaurie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: staying for the kids

Originally Posted by scratchey
hi

has anyone with children felt that australia is not for them and wanted to return to the uk but has ended up staying in oz because the kids would prefer there life in australia?

scratchey
This is a question i have asked myself. I do love it here. I came out knowing it would be hard, but boy never realised just how much. I found the first 6 weeks hard, could easily have gone home, but did not put my kids, family friends and our two dogs (who we bought with us) through all that for not trying.
Glad we stayed. Kids love their school ( i have replied to your question on that seperately), i have made loads of friends, we are out everyweekend doing something, have a nice home and stay in touch with all the uk. BUT its still not home, (sometimes i think im on a holiday, its wierd) i dont think i want to go back and your right if it werent for the kids i may be tempted but having been reading all the doom in gloom thats happening in the uk and im here typing away to glorious sunshine it hits me. NO i dont think i would go home.
For me its been the un-familiarity of things, not knowing where the doctors, dentist are, whats a good area whats a bad, theres alot of paper pushing here, you feel alittle out of your comfort zone for awhile. But one year on and things are easier, my parents (after flattly refusing to fly all this way) are arriving in January for a holiday and this is great. The sun shines most mornings, no one really has a care in the world. We were at the beach on Sunday at 8 in the morning (you would not get me out of my bed on a sunday in the uk before 10!!!) its all worth while here you want to.

I wish you luck. You are asking all the right questions but really you just need to live it, try it, get through those hard bits, stay even if you definately want to go home, and you will get through it and i reckon you will love it.