Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Staying in a hostel - recommended?

Staying in a hostel - recommended?

Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all
Default Staying in a hostel - recommended?

Hi Guys,

We are planning on getting a short term let for about 2 weeks when we get to Sydney in January and then looking for a house to rent once we are there.

I was thinking that maybe a stay in a hostel - not in a dorm but in ower own room might be a cheaper way of doing this.......has anyone else done this?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: Staying in a hostel - recommended?

Originally Posted by chelly77
Hi Guys,

We are planning on getting a short term let for about 2 weeks when we get to Sydney in January and then looking for a house to rent once we are there.

I was thinking that maybe a stay in a hostel - not in a dorm but in ower own room might be a cheaper way of doing this.......has anyone else done this?
have you thought about bed & breakfast, and they could give you info on the area as well,

when we stayed in abb in newzealand thats all they done was talk bless em
Old Nov 15th 2009, 10:45 am
Degenerate

lolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Re: Staying in a hostel - recommended?

I can recommend the YHA in Sydney, have stayed there twice in a double ensuite and would definately stay there again.
Not the cheapest double room you'll find though.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

YHA is good and also Wake up just round the corner from YHA in Haymarket. Theres a YHA just opened in the rocks, not been there but you get a view of the opera house from the roof terrace. See the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Staying in a hostel - recommended?-yharocks.bmp  
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

cbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nice

i stayed in victoria hall in a room with my husband and kids really good, you shere bathroom facilities but rooms have all been modernised and less then a 10 min walk from central station
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice

Hi Guys,

Hi chelly77,

My husband and I were thinking of doing the same thing in a month or so. How did you find it staying at a hostel at first in Sydney? Which one did you go for? How did you find the transition into a flat? Did you wait to get perm accomodation until you got a job?

We don't know where to look yet as we have no idea where I'll be working (IT development). It's so tempting to get one of these short-term furnished places but it sounds too expensive for just us and our suitcases.

Many thoughts and experiences appreciated from everyone!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Hi Guys,

Try this place, we stayed here for our first week after arriving in Sydney and had also stayed here when we came travelling a few years back.

http://www.glenferrielodge.com/

It is very clean, private rooms with shared bathrooms, and the breakfast is amazing. They also have wireless broadband so I was able to apply for jobs etc while sat on our balcony.

Last edited by s1mon321; Jan 6th 2010 at 10:38 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s1mon321
Try this place, we stayed here for our first week after arriving in Sydney and had also stayed here when we came travelling a few years back.

http://www.glenferrielodge.com/

It is very clean, private rooms with shared bathrooms, and the breakfast is amazing. They also have wireless broadband so I was able to apply for jobs etc while sat on our balcony.
Thanks for the 'heads up' on this place. It looks great, both the location and the room rates are great. Though the only thing that puts me off hostel and 'backpacker' accommodation is the noise from my fellow guests, more than once I've had to pack my kit at 03:00 and sleep in the car in order to get any sleep at all, when I've stayed at these places.

Is this place tightly run and did you have any noise problems when you were there ?

Many thanks for your input
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hino
Thanks for the 'heads up' on this place. It looks great, both the location and the room rates are great. Though the only thing that puts me off hostel and 'backpacker' accommodation is the noise from my fellow guests, more than once I've had to pack my kit at 03:00 and sleep in the car in order to get any sleep at all, when I've stayed at these places.

Is this place tightly run and did you have any noise problems when you were there ?

Many thanks for your input
To be honest, I wouldn't really class it as a backpacker/hostel kind of place - I have always been pleasantly surprised at the variety of age groups staying there. Students, families, people on business etc. We never encountered any issues with noise, neither did the friends who recommended it to us.

Location is great - a really quiet street, 1 minute walk to the ferry and a 10 minute walk to the Harbour Bridge.

I might send them a link to this thread and ask for some ad money! ;-)
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s1mon321
To be honest, I wouldn't really class it as a backpacker/hostel kind of place - I have always been pleasantly surprised at the variety of age groups staying there. Students, families, people on business etc. We never encountered any issues with noise, neither did the friends who recommended it to us.

Location is great - a really quiet street, 1 minute walk to the ferry and a 10 minute walk to the Harbour Bridge.

I might send them a link to this thread and ask for some ad money! ;-)
Thanks for that Simon. I need to spend some time and Sydney and this place sounds like it's just what I'm looking for, the requirment for a one week stay in order to get the best rate for the accommodation I need is longer than I wanted to stay, but it will be a good excuse to have a few days off