Stay or Go,

Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:13 am
UK to NZ to OZ

sarahinnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stay or Go,

Originally Posted by SUPERCAD
just out of intrest what is you husbands thoughts on the move? We spent some time in NZ then came to OZ. Im not a great fan of NZ but my wife prefers it to here for similar reasons to what you have.
My husband really wanted to make a go of it here, and he has a well paid job, much better than NZ but is working longer hours. We both gave up good jobs to have a go here but we have both realised we are not enjoying the climate, where we live, lifestyle and of course when you throw 2 homesick teenage boys into the mix we just think its not worth it. We didn't come to live and feel like this. We moved from Christchurch initially because of the earthquakes but we are moving back because we now realise we were happy there, despite its problems and we want to stay together as a family even though we know we will be working harder. It's a trade off between staying together as a family and being happy in NZ or us staying in OZ because were financially better off but were not really enjoying our experience and knowing our children are unhappy...and we have decided that the money is not worth it!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:21 am
UK to NZ to OZ

sarahinnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Molly dog
Thanks for sharing your experience Sarahinnz. We're in the same position having been ping pong pommes between UK and NZ since 2000. This time have been in NZ for 2 yrs and thought it was for good. I love the country and not home sick - but the cost of living is soo expensive in relation to salary, even as a professional couple. Just over the last few years people of are really struggling. I get frustrated with lack of infrastructure, expensive health/dental. Substandard housing is accepted despite threats to turf NZ out of the OECD. No government intervention in real issues. That's the trade off. So recently have started to look into Oz on a 189/190. The scenery and beaches here are all well n good, but, that doesn’t pay the bills!!!
I hear you, we're from Christchurch and along with the earthquakes we also thought that we would be better off financially in the long run in OZ. My husbands in a well paid job but we had to come further north than we wanted to get good money though, there's no point moving to Brisbane where we wanted to go if the only job offers were well below what we wanted to make any difference in our lives. So we decided further North Queensland but now were here we realised what a great lifestyle we had in NZ. Sometimes you think the grass is greener on the other side and I'm afraid it's not, so along with the reasons in my originally quote we have decided as a family OZ is not for us.
I'm still glad we came and tried though as we would always be wondering what if?
Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Molly dog is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for that info dave99 and Evelin, the grass isn't always greener
Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Wow Sarahinnz, what a huge adjustment you have all had to make, putting things in context with the earthquakes. You may need some time to fully adjust to what you've been through, that's the stuff trauma is made from.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 2:56 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahinnz
We moved from Christchurch initially because of the earthquakes but we are moving back because we now realise we were happy there
I take it you've seen quite a lot of NZ and Christchurch is the place to be over there?

I would have thought that kids would always opt for the bigger place that can offer them more attractions and ways of spending their time, from big malls to multiplex cinemas , etc.

Is Auckland not even worth considering when compared with Christchurch?
Old Mar 24th 2013, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

There are a lot of housing problems in Christchurch at the moment, demand vs supply= price. People still living in quake damaged housing.