Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Statutory Declaration what the earth is this?

Statutory Declaration what the earth is this?

Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:58 am
Just Joined

robertq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Statutory Declaration what the earth is this?

Hi there

I have just received request from ACS as self-employed person to deliver Statutory Declaration and it's nothing unusual but I have no idea what following means:
"Statutory Declaration is a statement made in writing and
sworn before a person who has authority to administer it eg a solicitor."

Sworn before person???
Do I have to sworn before eg. solicitor that all what I wrote is truth?
And he will write "yes all what he wrote is truth because he says so" or something???
It sounds ridiculous!
Or maybe I don't just get it
Please help! Anyone who went through SD.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Statutory Declaration what the earth is this?

Originally Posted by robertq
Hi there

I have just received request from ACS as self-employed person to deliver Statutory Declaration and it's nothing unusual but I have no idea what following means:
"Statutory Declaration is a statement made in writing and
sworn before a person who has authority to administer it eg a solicitor."

Sworn before person???
Do I have to sworn before eg. solicitor that all what I wrote is truth?
And he will write "yes all what he wrote is truth because he says so" or something???
It sounds ridiculous!
Or maybe I don't just get it
Please help! Anyone who went through SD.
Yes, basically that is right. However I believe that there can be implications if it is proved that you lied about something. It is a bit like swearing on the bible in court. You will have to say some statement before the solicitor swearing that you have written the truth. A word of advice though - a stat dec for a skilled person, for example an electrician needs to go into very comprehensive detail. Every tiny detail you have ever been taught and a very comprehensive work record with evidence to back up what you are saying.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:20 am
Just Joined

robertq is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Izzy
Yes, basically that is right. However I believe that there can be implications if it is proved that you lied about something. It is a bit like swearing on the bible in court. You will have to say some statement before the solicitor swearing that you have written the truth. A word of advice though - a stat dec for a skilled person, for example an electrician needs to go into very comprehensive detail. Every tiny detail you have ever been taught and a very comprehensive work record with evidence to back up what you are saying.
Hey, thanks
But here in Poland there's no such thing! Anyway it's obvious because how solicitor can tell about my declaration when he doesn't have anything to do with IT??? All what he can do and he does is confirmation my sign under document - and that's all. And he writes something as follows: - I hereby affirm that (somebody) signed this doc of his own accord and he did it in my presence -
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:25 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robertq
Hey, thanks
But here in Poland there's no such thing! Anyway it's obvious because how solicitor can tell about my declaration when he doesn't have anything to do with IT??? All what he can do and he does is confirmation my sign under document - and that's all. And he writes something as follows: - I hereby affirm that (somebody) signed this doc of his own accord and he did it in my presence -
that is correct - he doesnt have to know - they just are writing that you took an oath in their presence that what is in the document is true.

Im not sure how they can punish you for lying in this circumstance but DIMIA and ACS seem happy with Stat-Decs.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:15 am
Just Joined

helpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant future

Hi Robertq

A stat dec is a written declaration sworn on oath. Poland does not have the Westminster system of govt or law. A stat dec is sworn on oath - essentially, your stat dec is written, you put your right hand on the Bible (or you affirm if you do not beleive in God) that the to the best of your knowledge and belief the contents of your stat dec are true and accurate, so help you God. There are consequences for swearing a false declaration, but they are only really relevant if you are in Oz. Basically, the stat dec is a way of focusing your mind on what it is you are swearing to. Hope this is of some help

Good Luck
Andy Sinclair-Ford

www.sf-migration-australia.co.uk