Reload this Page >

State vs. Private Schools - Brisbane

Wikiposts

State vs. Private Schools - Brisbane

Old Oct 30th 2003, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

The GoodbyeGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default State vs. Private Schools - Brisbane

My sister-in-law has just given me her input about the schooling system in Brisbane. She lives in the Mount Cotton area (this is probably where we will be settling as least at first) and has both of her children enrolled in a private school. The school fees are about $1,400 per term (not sure of the exact name of the school, and I couldn't find anything resembling it on the internet). She advises against state schools and this has put me into a bit of a panic attack. Does anyone know anything about any of the other schools (private/state) in the area. Three that I can think of are Mount Cotton State, Redlands College and Sheldon College. Also for anyone with experience in these matters, how easy do you think it would be to get my daughter into one of these (the latter two) private schools?
One of the main reasons she gives for avoiding the state schools is the lack of discipline. She said that the private schools have less tolerance of any wayward behaviour.

Thx,
The Goodbye Girl
Old Oct 30th 2003, 5:33 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State vs. Private Schools - Brisbane

Originally posted by The GoodbyeGirl
My sister-in-law has just given me her input about the schooling system in Brisbane. She lives in the Mount Cotton area (this is probably where we will be settling as least at first) and has both of her children enrolled in a private school. The school fees are about $1,400 per term (not sure of the exact name of the school, and I couldn't find anything resembling it on the internet). She advises against state schools and this has put me into a bit of a panic attack. Does anyone know anything about any of the other schools (private/state) in the area. Three that I can think of are Mount Cotton State, Redlands College and Sheldon College. Also for anyone with experience in these matters, how easy do you think it would be to get my daughter into one of these (the latter two) private schools?
One of the main reasons she gives for avoiding the state schools is the lack of discipline. She said that the private schools have less tolerance of any wayward behaviour.

Thx,
The Goodbye Girl
GG it depends totally on the school. While I cant give advice on those individual schools I can talk in general. The state primary school we send our kids to is very good & has an excellent reputation. Some schools are good, some are bad. Same as everywhere. You have to assess them individually.

As for getting your daughter into a private school, theres a very good chance that (if the school is any good) there will be a waiting list for it. Best to check with the individual school.

Try this website that has a list of private schools in Brisbane,
The Courier Mail article , was in the paper a few months back. It has both the schools you mentioned listed.

Do a search at the top of the page, Im sure it will bring up many threads on the subject in general. Dotty & I & others have made comments about public vs private quite a few times before.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:31 am
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light

Mrs Dagboy. You say your children go to good state school.
How do you know if a state school has a good reputation or not?

Can you find this information on the internet?

BR Per Erik
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools

Can anyone help ..

I somehow managed to print off a list of senior schools that had come out top in various subjects .. I don't know where I got the list .. and I have misplaced it (I know I should have copied and saved rather than printed !)

Anyway I now need to find out about the exam performance of secondary schools in Perth area .. anybody got any clues
Old Oct 30th 2003, 11:01 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Erik, I honestly dont know if you can in Qld. As FiFis post has suggested, those sort of figures/facts are quite possibly available for other states, but Ive not seen any for Qld schools online.

FiFi, I dont know exactly what you are looking for, but I do remember someone posting an education WA website a shortwhile back that had something to do with school gradings. Perhaps a search in the last couple of weeks might turn it up?