Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you know the national anthem?

Do you know the national anthem?

Old Oct 30th 2003, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough
Default Do you know the national anthem?

Just been to assembly at my son's school. They always begin with the National Anthem and it's so easy to spot the Poms, none of them know it and stand silent. Talked about it with one of the mums and her attitude was why would you want to learn it, it's not "our" National Anthem. Sorry lady, but I think it is now, so off to learn my words!!

Loopy
Old Oct 30th 2003, 1:41 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you know the national anthem?

Originally posted by Loopy
Just been to assembly at my son's school. They always begin with the National Anthem and it's so easy to spot the Poms, none of them know it and stand silent. Talked about it with one of the mums and her attitude was why would you want to learn it, it's not "our" National Anthem. Sorry lady, but I think it is now, so off to learn my words!!

Loopy
it isn't if she's PR or on a work visa (a non citizen) I don't consider Advance Australia fair to mine either, because it's not (there again I'd consider god save the queen to be mine either)
cheers
Old Oct 30th 2003, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Okay gonna look really thick now (so whats new) but I had an messagel from Lynnj and in it she reffered to Advance Australian Fair in the title and I thought she was giving me a heads up on a fete or something that was coming to the area.!!!!
She was talking about the national anthem in the message but it wasn't till I read another post here a few days later that I reaslied that what it was actually called.

And no I don't know the bloody words..... I like the one that they have for the sports things though, that one "We are one, we are many, blah blah We are Australia" makes me sniffle that ones does...

Okay, going before I make an even bigger fool of myself.

Di
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:08 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Okay gonna look really thick now (so whats new) but I had an messagel from Lynnj and in it she reffered to Advance Australian Fair in the title and I thought she was giving me a heads up on a fete or something that was coming to the area.!!!!
She was talking about the national anthem in the message but it wasn't till I read another post here a few days later that I reaslied that what it was actually called.

And no I don't know the bloody words..... I like the one that they have for the sports things though, that one "We are one, we are many, blah blah We are Australia" makes me sniffle that ones does...

Okay, going before I make an even bigger fool of myself.

Di
you don't do you..lol , that song makes me want to throw up. So "chocolate boxie"

I hate it! in Our household we change the words.. I won't tell you what to..lol

If anyone is in Singapore, it reminds me of their gov made ad songs .. they know'll what I'm taking about... change the words to "we are Singaporeans" (you know the song) .. I'm sure it's the same writers who do these songs in both countries (there are a lot of Aus writers in Sing) . ... puke making. (next they'll be making songs here in Aus telling you "to have a kid")

each to their own

cheers
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

It's a bit like that 70's Coke advert when they are all holding hands singing "I'd like to teach the world to sing"!!!

"Choccie Box" that's a good one

Look, I am the girl that cried when Elmo came on stage when I took William to see Sesame Street Live so anything is possible!!!

Di the weepy one
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:24 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by DianeOZ
It's a bit like that 70's Coke advert when they are all holding hands singing "I'd like to teach the world to sing"!!!

"Choccie Box" that's a good one

Look, I am the girl that cried when Elmo came on stage when I took William to see Sesame Street Live so anything is possible!!!

Di the weepy one
lol ... there's no hope for you then
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:28 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you know the national anthem?

Originally posted by Loopy

Loopy
I know the words, and stand up when everyone sings it, naturally, but am not sure if I'm supposed to sing along untill I'm a citizen.

What is the protocol on this, does anyone know?
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Trust me nobody would want me to sing anything, awful. Only anthem that makes me teary is the Canadian one, the way they all stand up at the hockey some even put their hand on their hearts, Oh Canada, at least you can remember it. 80,000 singing that is unforgettable.

Silent night makes me teary too, went to a Church primary in UKers, can always remember being so tiny and this dark old church lit only by candles and the choir singing silent night. Really spooky, took my kids back there 20 odd years later, same thing really lovely.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know the words, but even if I did I probably wouldn't sing them. I only mouth the words to Happy Birthday (I know, it's awful, I should sing it, but I hate the sound of my singing voice!).

One song I HATE is Waltzing Matilda, I hope that it's never made into the national anthem, I would never sing it.

My boss joked one day that if I sang the first two line to WM then he'd give me a bonus: dislike of own singing voice + dislike of song = no bonus!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We've only been in NZ for 3 and a bit months, but our daughters love to sing the National Anthem, they know it better in Maori than English and certainly much better that the English N A.

Gill
Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:02 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Ahem...

All together now......

http://www.imagesaustralia.com/austr...onalanthem.htm
Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

I'm biased, there's only one anthem for me.

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn anwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol rhyfelwyr, gwlad garwyr tra mad,
Tros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
Tra mor yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,
Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd;
Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si
Ei nentydd, afonydd, i mi.
Tra mor yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau,
Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,
Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed,
Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.
Tra mor yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau,

Brings a tear to my eye... oooh I'll bee singing at this of the top of my voice at the quarter finals at suncorp.... excuse me while I go now and cry.. stick your advance aus fair up ,,, ummm ... twll du (that's being nice ..lol)

Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:37 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Ceri
I'm biased, there's only one anthem for me.

Brings a tear to my eye... oooh I'll bee singing at this of the top of my voice at the quarter finals at suncorp.... excuse me while I go now and cry.. stick your advance aus fair up ,,, ummm ... twll du (that's being nice ..lol)

Cardiff Arms Park - Wales vs England, and 20000 Welsh supporters in full voice....
Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:52 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by downunderpom
Cardiff Arms Park - Wales vs England, and 20000 Welsh supporters in full voice....
Suncorp stadium the sunday after next.. Wales VEngland... if we can't beat them we can surely out sing them

I've never been to England V Wales match before (I can't wait for this quarter final) ... I'd love to have been there in 1999 ( 6 nations) ... where they beat them on their home ground (englands home ground)stopping them getting the grand slam (wales 32 .. england 31) my mum, taped it for me and sent it out, I've still got it on video... it's a cracker... we were down at half time... won in injury time ... ahh Neil jenkins (who Jonny wilkinson still haven't caught up with)

I don't expect us to win in the quarters...( but who knows.. if we do... I'll do a streak along with all the other welsh fans.lol)

If we can't beat them.. we can out sing them..
Old Oct 30th 2003, 4:14 am
WBB

Originally posted by downunderpom
Ahem...

All together now......

http://www.imagesaustralia.com/austr...onalanthem.htm

oh no not that cheesy electro pop again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.