Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

State needed for STNI Visa

State needed for STNI Visa

Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:39 pm
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all
Default State needed for STNI Visa

It looks like I'm having to go down the STNI route as I miss the 136 visa by 5 points. I've looked on the State Governement websites to have a look at their Skills in demand list. I'm close to a couple of demanded skills but the ASCO code doesn't match my occupational category code.

I'm looking at Engineering. I've scanned the job market for what I do, and their are loads of jobs I could apply for.

What happens when you send your visa application off for a STNI visa? Does the DIMIA put you on their Skills database, where you have to wait until a state comes knocking?

Can anyone give anymore details.

DickChap
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:43 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: State needed for STNI Visa

Originally Posted by dickchap
It looks like I'm having to go down the STNI route as I miss the 136 visa by 5 points. I've looked on the State Governement websites to have a look at their Skills in demand list. I'm close to a couple of demanded skills but the ASCO code doesn't match my occupational category code.

I'm looking at Engineering. I've scanned the job market for what I do, and their are loads of jobs I could apply for.

What happens when you send your visa application off for a STNI visa? Does the DIMIA put you on their Skills database, where you have to wait until a state comes knocking?

DickChap
Hi to apply for STNI your job has to be on their skills shortage list check out their lists at their government websites.

need to get a positive skills assessment before applying to Tasmania but i think the others may be the other way around?

Kay
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dickchap

DickChap
Normally you forget the 'skills database' and approach the state that interests you if your skill profile matches their skill shortage list. Only South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria participate in STNI, so forget the others, and it's usually a good idea to have skill assessment done first. Sometimes that's essential before the state will look at you.

Rules for SIR sponsorship are different but treat that as a last-resort visa.

Jeremy
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:04 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Hubby a carpenter, we applied for TRA skills assessment first in September 04 and heard back end December that it had been approved, then applied to SMU for sponsorship. Received confirmation today that it has also been approved! Yippeee!!!! (Sorry)!!!! The SMU sit once every two months (so I was told) and its upto them if you get approval or not.

Our agent gave us a list of skills on demand list and said to pick the one that closely matched hubby's skills and that was the heading under which we applied.

You do need to make sure, your work references will back up your experience. Sadly its not enough just to be able to say you can do the job, you have to prove, that you HAVE been doing the job in question for a period of time.

Good luck, hope this has been some help.

Jo
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Joanne
Hubby a carpenter, we applied for TRA skills assessment first in September 04 and heard back end December that it had been approved, then applied to SMU for sponsorship. Received confirmation today that it has also been approved! Yippeee!!!! (Sorry)!!!! The SMU sit once every two months (so I was told) and its upto them if you get approval or not.

Our agent gave us a list of skills on demand list and said to pick the one that closely matched hubby's skills and that was the heading under which we applied.

You do need to make sure, your work references will back up your experience. Sadly its not enough just to be able to say you can do the job, you have to prove, that you HAVE been doing the job in question for a period of time.

Good luck, hope this has been some help.

Jo
HI what is SMU?

My other half is a carpenter we are going STNI as Carpentry is on the shortage list why would you have to pick a skill that closely matched

Kay
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:26 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by possoms
HI what is SMU?

My other half is a carpenter we are going STNI as Carpentry is on the shortage list why would you have to pick a skill that closely matched

Kay
Sorry, didnt make that very clear, it was for the TRA that we had to choose a category. We could either have had
1. Carpenter and Joiner, Shopfitter
2. Carpenter, Fixing Carpenter, Formwork Carpenter, Scenery Maker.
We picked the first, as this ,matched hubbys skills the best.

SMU is Skilled Migration Unit, thats who say yes or no to your STNI sponsorship.

Sorry for confusion, I knew what I ment!!!!!!

Jo
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:40 pm

Sorry, didnt make that very clear, it was for the TRA that we had to choose a category. We could either have had
1. Carpenter and Joiner, Shopfitter
2. Carpenter, Fixing Carpenter, Formwork Carpenter, Scenery Maker.
We picked the first, as this ,matched hubbys skills the best.

SMU is Skilled Migration Unit, thats who say yes or no to your STNI sponsorship.

Sorry for confusion, I knew what I ment!!!!!!

Jo
Oh right DOH i did'nt figure it out

are you going STNI?

Kay
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Only for Victoria, the other state authorites (for SA and Tas) don't go by the same name.

Jeremy