Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

startup + monthly costs

startup + monthly costs

Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Jason123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default startup + monthly costs

Hey, I am planning my move to Aus on a working holiday visa (417) and just have a few questions. I’ve been reading these forums a lot and got some great advice from various threads and members.
I hope to get a graduate level geology job when I get there. Potential salary is $65-80k from my research. After tax, the average salary will leave me with about $50k? So now I need to get an idea of monthly expenses, so my question is roughly how much money will I be spending a month for rent, bills (elec/water/internet etc), food, general fuel costs/ public transport etc. I know it’s hard to quantify but I just need to get an idea. I have no family so these costs will just be for me. The research I have done is based on Perth as this seems like the most likely place for me to find employment in the mining/exploration industry.

Rent: ~$500
Food: ~$300-400 (if its similar to UK or maybe a bit more expensive as recent thread suggests)
Bills: I have no idea
Transport: again no idea.
Others: please suggest

Any help with a rough estimate would be greatly appreciated.

The other side of what I need to know is start up costs. What are the general thoughts on renting on a working holiday visa? Will I need to pay the full sum up front or just put a month’s deposit or something? From another thread a car will set me back at least $3k so I defiantly won’t be able to get one to start with – what is public transport like? Any other major costs I need to take into consideration?

I will take any advice people may have so please shoot away.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: startup + monthly costs

Sure on the salary you are aiming at you'll be just fine.

Take a look at www.realestate.com.au it has a section for places to rent, just look at areas you want and go from there to get a feel for prices.

Lots of mobile and internet deals around, look at Telstra/Optus websites for starters, quite often if you have both from same place it's cheaper. If you go 'pay as you go' you can get more credit than money you spend but you need to use it in for example a month - we had one when we arrived and for about $30 we got about $70 worth of calls/texts but it had to be used each month. We have a landline/mobile/internet with Telstra now for about a $100 or so per month.

Food - similar prices to UK somethings cheaper ie meat, so swings and roundabouts, your estimate is probably about right.

Our water rates are only $45 per quarter - much cheaper than they were in UK.

When we did our reccie in Perth, I think the city bus was free you just jumped on/off found these

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/

http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/

looks like you can plan journeys on first one to get an idea of price.

We aren't in Perth/WA but hope helps a bit, sure more will be along soon with help
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jason123
Hey, I am planning my move to Aus on a working holiday visa (417) and just have a few questions. I’ve been reading these forums a lot and got some great advice from various threads and members.
I hope to get a graduate level geology job when I get there. Potential salary is $65-80k from my research. After tax, the average salary will leave me with about $50k? So now I need to get an idea of monthly expenses, so my question is roughly how much money will I be spending a month for rent, bills (elec/water/internet etc), food, general fuel costs/ public transport etc. I know it’s hard to quantify but I just need to get an idea. I have no family so these costs will just be for me. The research I have done is based on Perth as this seems like the most likely place for me to find employment in the mining/exploration industry.

Rent: ~$500
Food: ~$300-400
(if its similar to UK or maybe a bit more expensive as recent thread suggests)
Bills: I have no idea
Transport: again no idea.
Others: please suggest

As you appear to be budgeting on a monthly basis, you can double those estimates for starters.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:50 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

we live in Adelaide so not sure how helpful...

Electricity $250 / qtr
Gas $250 / qtr
Water ?
Foxtel $70 / month
house insurance $300 / year
Health Insurance ?? varies
Car Insurance $400 / year
Road Tax (rego) $800 / year
Car Fuel, full tank about $60
broadband/phone $100 / month
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:06 am
Just Joined

Jimni is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Perth and last year rented a 2 bed unit in Como. We have since bought a house.

We were $360 a week rent (fully furnished) in Como.

I work in CBD and bus journey into CBD was about a $1.20 each way, but if you buy a SmartRider and then Autoload (direct debt) you can reduce that by 25%.

The bus was on time and plenty of them. In fact I now catch the train into CBD and really can't complain about the public transport system, it's reliable and affordable.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Jason123 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks alot for the replies everyone - I'm getting a much better idea of things now.

Jimni - When you started renting the fully furnished place - how much deposit did you have to pay?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:21 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Just so you know (Im sure you do already) you can only work for an employer for a maximum of 6 months on the WHV. This may or may not influence their decision to hire you versus a similarly qualified resident/citizen.

I'd certainly suggest bringing enough cash to live on for at least 2 months just in case the job situation isn't immediately sorted.

Good luck.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Jimni is an unknown quantity at this point

The bond was one month's rent - which we got back in full at the end of the lease.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

Hi ya,

This is what we spend per month:

3 bed house in Ryde : $2600.00
Gas : $60
lecky : $60
Telstra TV : $90
Phone : $40
Food ( 2 + dog) : $500 - $600
Public Transport : $41 a week under the new scheme in NSW
Petrol : $200 ish
Medical Insurance : $189
Dog insurance : $40
Broadband : $60

I thinks thats it. We do pay more for our rent than most people, but having a dog and wanting a garden bumps up the prices. If you are happy with a flat rent around here is about $275 a week.

Food is more espensive here so you have to shop around and defo by more "no frills" products.