Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting a small business

Starting a small business

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 11:12 pm
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future
Default Starting a small business

As someone who has never run a business of any kind before I feel a bit out of my depth with all the red tape and negative attitudes of people who say "it will never work". I just want to improve my lifestyle (I thought that was why we all emigrated!!!)

Can anyone here point me in the direction of some good (FREE) information on the internet? Everytime I search through google I get links where someone wants money in order to tell me how to get rich running my own business

Thanks all.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Starting a small business

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 11:34 pm
owieb

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Duck
As someone who has never run a business of any kind before I feel a bit out of my depth with all the red tape and negative attitudes of people who say "it will never work". I just want to improve my lifestyle (I thought that was why we all emigrated!!!)

Can anyone here point me in the direction of some good (FREE) information on the internet? Everytime I search through google I get links where someone wants money in order to tell me how to get rich running my own business

Thanks all.
Try this link for everything you need to know about setting up a business. It covers much more than the ATO one.

http://www.business.gov.au

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 12:10 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

We started our own business in the UK - gambled absolutely everything on it and it worked luckily - but I dont think one person said it would.... If everyone thought it would work everyone would do it and we'd all be millionaires ;-)

One bit of advice I'd give you is cash is important - you will find that a business can survive if you can smooth out the cash-calls and cash-demands that come upon it from time to time, often unexpected, like reparis for key equipment ( a new coffee machine or a new piece of plant that you cant live without and yours just went kaput) or insurance hikes, or Tax demands.... If youve got some cushion or ability to get access to a cushion then you should be fine - do not run lean on cash reserves or you'll go bust!.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 12:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Duck

Thanks all.
I've run businesses almost all of my life, and they can work, but you do need the right attitude, some luck, but most of all, the willingness to work damned hard. I'll be happy to answer general questions that you may have.