Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Starting to feel homesick

Starting to feel homesick

Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Starting to feel homesick

Been here nearly 5 weeks and just starting to feel homesick, missing my friends, and I guess missing familiarity.
Its lovely people being interested in me and asking loads of questions and why we have come but just want to be with my friends who know me and I don't have to explain anything, I can just be me.
I guess this to be expected, I don't want to go home, it's lovely here but I so miss my friends!
Just having a bad day, feel pretty low and sad and I don't know how to feel any better.

Nicola
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting to feel homesick

Originally Posted by Mrs Rangersman
Been here nearly 5 weeks and just starting to feel homesick, missing my friends, and I guess missing familiarity.
Its lovely people being interested in me and asking loads of questions and why we have come but just want to be with my friends who know me and I don't have to explain anything, I can just be me.
I guess this to be expected, I don't want to go home, it's lovely here but I so miss my friends!
Just having a bad day, feel pretty low and sad and I don't know how to feel any better.

Nicola

Sorry your feeling a bit down early days for us and I've had a few days like that myself....a couple of days I just was on & off crying

Hope it passes soon and you start feeling better soon

Sue
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:33 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nicola
Hi Nicola

Ditto, been here 4 weeks and 3 days and have had a huge row with my husband, my MIL has been staying with us for 3 weeks and she was telling me to be quite when I argued back and I just want to have a coffee and a chat with someone that knows me.
I love it here and so does the rest of the family but this pang has caught me unaware.
Hope your week gets better, perhaps we are destined to have these pangs now and again for the rest of our lives.

Sharon
x
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:40 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Starting to feel homesick

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Hi Nicola

Ditto, been here 4 weeks and 3 days and have had a huge row with my husband, my MIL has been staying with us for 3 weeks and she was telling me to be quite when I argued back and I just want to have a coffee and a chat with someone that knows me.
I love it here and so does the rest of the family but this pang has caught me unaware.
Hope your week gets better, perhaps we are destined to have these pangs now and again for the rest of our lives.

Sharon
x

Sorry your feeling this way but i guess its to be expected.

Not that far down the emigrating line myself yet but interested in seeing how people cope.
The big thing for us is leaving familiy and friends(as It is for most people).
Keep sight of all the reasons you did this - -you knew there were going to be tough times.

Get that list out with the pro's and con's for going and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!

Sending some karma.

Keep smiling through the tears.

xRachx
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Homesickness is horrible and completly out of your control.

I have been here over 2 years and it still hits me every now and again. Try making a list of the things you hated in the UK whilst it is fresh in your mind... it can help. If not we are all here. A lot of us have been through it and / or still going through it.

Suddenly family can seem so very far away. A phone call can do wonders.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:47 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya Nicola

Me and my family have been in Oz for almost 18 months now, It is very early days for you yet, and only to be expected that you miss your friends. It does piss you off after a while, having to expalin to everyone wht u came bla bla bla!!!! But believe me it does get heaps better, once you get a new circle of friends, you have to get to know them as well as them get to know you, you will build up those special bonds again, and week by week you will think of the guys back in the UK less and less, although not forget about them. You will find out who your tue friends are, cos they are the ones who will keep in touch no matter what.

I still have my bad days, and think shit what am I doing here, but when I think about it, I never want to go back to live in Scotland, theres things I love about here and things that I hate, but its 100% better living here, and now that I am making new friends it justs gets better every day.

I got a fone call last Sunday from someone I have met at a couple of parties, she said...."we are going to Melbourne Cup Charity Luncheon and I thought hmmmm who else could we invite thats up for a drink and a laff?? and I thought of you".............I was sooooooo delighted that she took the time to invite me...and we had a ball......all dressed up in the middle of the day what a giggle.

Cheer up mate it will get better, I promise....and tell MIL to butt out lol

take care

Heather
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Nicola
Hi Nicola, its so sad to hear when people are getting homesick, and I don't really know what to say, but just keep remembering all the reasons why you moved in the first place, and what you hated so much about living in the uk. Do you have a web cam you can talk to your freinds on??
Anyway. Wish you all the best.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I still miss friends and family after 5 years, but the feeling is occassional and not intense.

Strangely everything was brought home, when my company told me that they are going to send me to UK to work next year. I'm sort of looking forward to catching up with mates, but when I thought of my friends here, our house, the cat, our weekends away, the veggies growing in the garden etc, I realised that I do not want to go.....it just creeps up on you when you are not looking!
Old Nov 7th 2005, 2:10 am
Just Joined

StarJam will become famous soon enoughStarJam will become famous soon enough

Hi Nicola,

I could have written a similar post at the 5week milestone, and the 6th, and the 7th… It was 3months before I finally felt settled in and not pining everyday for my friends and family every, single, day!

We came over to Australia and we had no family and a few friends that live miles away! I’ve been here 14 months now and I have to say… I’M LOVING IT! We’ve found our own group of friends, we love the area we live in and we’re just having so much more fun than we did in the UK. It honestly does get easier and having a web cam and hooking up to MSN makes everyone feel so much closer. I talk to my friends quite often and when we go back this Christmas, guess what we’re buying the parents…?

It does get easier… Just hang on in there.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:06 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Nicola
Nicola, it is a big thing to leave everything familiar. God knows there have been days of homesickness, just to know what to do in a different country etc. Been here 8 months and allthough not homesick find things totally alien. Take yesterday for example. Went to get some bark chippings, hubby drove down the garden in the ute (not 4x4) dumped the load, could he get out....... no blooming chance.Torrential rain, wheels spinning etc etc. Air was blue. Had we been in UK there were numerous people who would have come out, to help..... plus have a giggle. After 5 hours neighbour eventually came out and all was well!!!
Then you look on the bright side, what a beautiful country, weather people, scenery....... need I go on. It is only natural to have these feelings. Just remember " Even your darkest hour is only 60 minutes!"
Chin up, go have a good cry and a stubby!!
ViVi
Old Nov 7th 2005, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I think most people go through the homesickness stage at some point. Mine too hit after about 5 weeks in and I found that if I set myself small goals then life did not seem so daunting. Been here 9 months now and I only have the odd day when I get upset, but nothing like the sickening feeling in my stomach that I did have.
Hope you cheer up soon,

Amanda
Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:12 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nicola

MIL has been staying with us for 3 weeks and she was telling me to be quite when I argued back and I just want to have a coffee and a chat with someone that knows me.

Sharon
x
Grinding my teeth reading the above since I know what Id be saying to the MIL. Grrrrrrrr, did she come over to make sure hubby settled in ok and tuck him in ?
Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Hi Nicola,
Homesickness horrible word isn't it?. I have to say i didn't give it much thought before i came. Always thought i was quite a strong person, but i've cried like a baby somedays. And also felt sick to the stomach.
Like you i've not been here that long (5 months).
Strange thing to say, but i sometimes miss friends more then family.
You will have your good days and your bad.
Don't know about you, but i am dreading the thought of christmas.
My hubby is working xmas day and boxing day!!!
Remember your not alone in your thoughts, there are plenty of us on this forum feeling the same way!
Old Nov 7th 2005, 6:55 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Grinding my teeth reading the above since I know what Id be saying to the MIL. Grrrrrrrr, did she come over to make sure hubby settled in ok and tuck him in ?
Yep, you got it in one and to make things worse she hates our 11yr old son and calls him that child and you stupid creature
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:03 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, you got it in one and to make things worse she hates our 11yr old son and calls him that child and you stupid creature
Very nice of yours sons grandmother, I do hope you will have the full support of your husband when kick her ass out of your home (even if your son is from a previous marriage btw) :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.