Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

start of school year

start of school year

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 3:34 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default start of school year

can anyone tell me when the school year starts in australia please,our house is going up for sale in the new year and if all goes well we hope to move over by around june but chris does'nt want our girls starting school three quarters of the way through the school year.
cheers jonni
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 3:36 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: start of school year

Originally Posted by jonni boy
can anyone tell me when the school year starts in australia please,our house is going up for sale in the new year and if all goes well we hope to move over by around june but chris does'nt want our girls starting school three quarters of the way through the school year.
cheers jonni
It starts in January mate.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 3:37 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
It starts in January mate.
cheers matey
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 3:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

cheers jonni
Chris might have great reasons for the girls not to start mid year but if it is just worries about fitting in and making friends etc please don't worry. Children just adapt and will only get worried about such things if they pick up on adult worries. We stress about things that obviously don't go through children's minds. They just deal with it
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 4:07 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Chris might have great reasons for the girls not to start mid year but if it is just worries about fitting in and making friends etc please don't worry. Children just adapt and will only get worried about such things if they pick up on adult worries. We stress about things that obviously don't go through children's minds. They just deal with it
As kids don't start school in Oz a year later than in the UK they'l probably be half a year in front instead of behind
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 4:10 pm
Scottish and a Mum

Scottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant future

As kids don't start school in Oz a year later than in the UK they'l probably be half a year in front instead of behind
I didn't realise that. I was worried that my little boy would be missing out on six months of schooling. He would be starting here age 5 in August, but in Oz he won't start until age 5 1/2 in the January. Is that correct?

So that would be normal for Australian children then? Its not as if he'll be the oldest in his class.

Thanks

Catherine x
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Scottishmum
I didn't realise that. I was worried that my little boy would be missing out on six months of schooling. He would be starting here age 5 in August, but in Oz he won't start until age 5 1/2 in the January. Is that correct?

So that would be normal for Australian children then? Its not as if he'll be the oldest in his class.

Thanks

Catherine x
Yep that's normal,

We've go two pre-school kids
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 4:18 pm
Scottish and a Mum

Scottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant future

Yep that's normal,

We've go two pre-school kids
Cool, that's working out really well then. As we're planning on coming over August 07 just after his 5th birthday.

Thanks

Catherine x
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 4:18 pm
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

cheers jonni

Hi
I have been looking into the schooling system and from what I know the school year goes from January to December their summer holidays are in dec.
Jane x
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 4:33 pm
sunny coast

oh i'm sure our girls will be fine, i think chris just likes to plan things out,well as best as you can with something like moving to the other side of the world our girls can't wait and think it's a great big adventure must be great being a kid, your only worry is were your next bag of sweets is coming from
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Term dates are here: http://www.det.vic.gov.au/det/schooled/schooldates.htm

Cheers,
Brian

cheers jonni
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 5:18 pm
sunny coast

Originally Posted by brian0
just printed it off for chris to look at when she gets in from work.
cheers brian and thank you to everyone else aswell.

jonni
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Scottishmum

Thanks

Catherine x
The dates at which a child starts school vary in the different States. Which State are you going to ? And when is the birthday ?

My daughter was 4 years 8 months old when she started, and she is currently about the middle age range in her class in QLD. She was however, the youngest in her class in NSW.

Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Depends where you are and which month they are born. In W.A my kids haven't started any later than in UK. Son age 4 years 6 months started reception in UK last September and in Pre primary age 4 years 10 months in Jan. Daughter went into Year 2 last Sep in Uk and Year 2 here in Oz. It can be misleading for people to think kids start here a year later than in UK.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by YFitz
Depends where you are and which month they are born. In W.A my kids haven't started any later than in UK. Son age 4 years 6 months started reception in UK last September and in Pre primary age 4 years 10 months in Jan. Daughter went into Year 2 last Sep in Uk and Year 2 here in Oz. It can be misleading for people to think kids start here a year later than in UK.
I agree.
Between your son, starting in UK, and my daughter, starting in Australia, there was only a 2 month age difference

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.