stamp duty

Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:58 am
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road
Default stamp duty

as a first time buyer i can claim a first time buyers grant which i know is true

as for stamp duty i have to pay full duty because i previously owned a property in the uk as it states on the form ,you did not hold and never before held an interest in residential land in queensland or elsewhere, i have been told elswhere means other country like the uk please answer thank you
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:17 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: stamp duty

Originally Posted by pike
as a first time buyer i can claim a first time buyers grant which i know is true

as for stamp duty i have to pay full duty because i previously owned a property in the uk as it states on the form ,you did not hold and never before held an interest in residential land in queensland or elsewhere, i have been told elswhere means other country like the uk please answer thank you
Not paying stamp duty on my purchase. Have owned a property in the UK.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nice

Originally Posted by iPom
Not paying stamp duty on my purchase. Have owned a property in the UK.
Can it be got away with then?

cheers
Old Jan 30th 2007, 7:24 am
Account Closed

The bank (Westpac) told us we wouldn't have to pay as we were first home buyers here in Aus. They're well aware we owned a property in the UK.

Who knows?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

jayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nice

Originally Posted by iPom
The bank (Westpac) told us we wouldn't have to pay as we were first home buyers here in Aus. They're well aware we owned a property in the UK.

Who knows?
Thats my bank, I will have to ask. cheers
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pike

we owned a house in the UK, but when we applied for the FHOG nobody asked us about owning property in any country other than Oz-I don't think anyone would be able to check anyway?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:28 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

We will have to rent for a while as we rent in the uk, never been able to get onto the property ladder here. I dont think it will be a problem in Australia when we both have got our full time employment sorted out as we both should earn a reasonable amount. I am hoping we will get the first time buyers grant and not pay stamp duty. We will need to get a mortgage though so not sure how long we will need to wait after getting our PR visa? Some banks say yes straight away but I am guessing they will charge a higher interest rate?
I am guessing it is better to wait a couple of years? Anyone who has done something similar or people in the know? Please let me know the best route!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachie241
We will have to rent for a while as we rent in the uk, never been able to get onto the property ladder here. I dont think it will be a problem in Australia when we both have got our full time employment sorted out as we both should earn a reasonable amount. I am hoping we will get the first time buyers grant and not pay stamp duty. We will need to get a mortgage though so not sure how long we will need to wait after getting our PR visa? Some banks say yes straight away but I am guessing they will charge a higher interest rate?
I am guessing it is better to wait a couple of years? Anyone who has done something similar or people in the know? Please let me know the best route!
we have been here for a year, initially on a 457 and since mid-October on a PR visa. We applied for our mortgage about a month later with no problem but obviously we had the benefit of having worked here for a few months and establishing some kind of credit record. You will probably have to pay some stamp duty but you will get a rebate on the first $4000.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jayjd12
Can it be got away with then?

cheers

Its not a question of 'getting away with it'. If it is your first home purchase in Australia then you are eligible for the first time home buyers rate of stamp duty.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Its not a question of 'getting away with it'. If it is your first home purchase in Australia then you are eligible for the first time home buyers rate of stamp duty.
Thank you SJ. That's what we were told. Clean slate here. Nice it is, too!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=iPom;4341080]Thank you SJ.

My pleasure!!!!!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

I read recently in a thread (that I can't find) that somebody thought the 7000 Aus dollars for first time buyers was rising to 12000 haven't heard anything since so just wondered if anyone had heard anything?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:43 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, just read this post, can someone confirm that if we were to purchase a property for the first time here in Perth, that we would not have to pay the whole stamp duty ie: on a house that is around $500k purchase price its about $25 - $30k on top for the stamp duty. Our bank, also Westpac never mentioned reduced rates, they only told us about the $7k first time buyers grant. We have also seen a couple of mortage advisers and they didn't say anything either... any information would be very appreciated!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by soonbethere
Hi, just read this post, can someone confirm that if we were to purchase a property for the first time here in Perth, that we would not have to pay the whole stamp duty ie: on a house that is around $500k purchase price its about $25 - $30k on top for the stamp duty. Our bank, also Westpac never mentioned reduced rates, they only told us about the $7k first time buyers grant. We have also seen a couple of mortage advisers and they didn't say anything either... any information would be very appreciated!
If it's your first house in Aus, then you do not have to pay the Stamp Duty.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

tallbloke67 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are buying your 1s house ipom do you get the home grant of $7000 and the no stamp duty? Or is it one or the other?

Martin 'nearly there'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.