British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   St Georges Day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/st-georges-day-298479/)

purple rain Apr 23rd 2005 2:23 pm

St Georges Day

Anyone doing anything by way of celebration. I got home this morning form a night shift to find hubby had put St Georges cross at the front of the house...how patriotic :)

JackTheLad Apr 23rd 2005 2:57 pm

Re: St Georges Day

Originally Posted by s/nurse
Anyone doing anything by way of celebration. I got home this morning form a night shift to find hubby had put St Georges cross at the front of the house...how patriotic :)

When is it?

JTL

JohnoBronco Apr 24th 2005 4:05 am

i did the same and wore england top all day - the missus just giggled and thought it was hillarious :mad:

purple rain Apr 24th 2005 7:10 am

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco
i did the same and wore england top all day - the missus just giggled and thought it was hillarious :mad:

mmmmmmmmm must be a man thing then :)

purple rain Apr 24th 2005 7:10 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
When is it?

JTL

23/04 you can't be English then?

ABCDiamond Apr 24th 2005 7:32 am

Just wating to see the reply to this :D :D

JackTheLad Apr 24th 2005 9:09 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Just wating to see the reply to this :D :D

Don't know if this reply will disappoint you, ABCDiamond?!

With his parents both being Scottish, and himself having been born in Scotland, raised in County Down, and his wife being Chinese... Nah, he CAN'T be English... :D

Mrs JTL

P.S. Sorry S/Nurse, JTL was only pulling your leg, being a naughty boy. I'll give him a good spanking for ya! ;)

Deadmeat Apr 24th 2005 9:15 am

I drank strong lager until 3am then fell into a kebab shop and abused the Turkish staff whilst urinating in the corner.

Can't wait for 24 hour opening hours. :D

Hutch Apr 24th 2005 9:48 am

Who gives a shit if he's English or not. St George was an Italian who made a name for himself as a soldier working for the Roman Emperor Diocletian (who later beheaded him, but hey-ho). Another foreign import, like most things in this country.

Deadmeat Apr 24th 2005 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Hutch
Who gives a shit if he's English or not. St George was an Italian who made a name for himself as a soldier working for the Roman Emperor Diocletian (who later beheaded him, but hey-ho). Another foreign import, like most things in this country.

So, the majority of Australia descends from the native population ... I hadn't realised ...

purple rain Apr 24th 2005 1:48 pm

do you know sometimes I wish I had'nt started this, hubby is now sobbing in the corner he truly believed St George was English ;)

JackTheLad Apr 24th 2005 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch

Informative and abusive :D

Cheers,
JTL

kirsty&al Apr 24th 2005 2:42 pm

do you know sometimes I wish I had'nt started this, hubby is now sobbing in the corner he truly believed St George was English ;)

Of the four national saints of the British Isles only St David was born in the country that he represents.

A :)

sj oldfield Apr 24th 2005 2:58 pm

I dont recall St Georges Day being a big thing back in the UK, apart from having a small mention in a diary.
Here they advertise St Georges Day all over the place!!

purple rain Apr 24th 2005 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
I dont recall St Georges Day being a big thing back in the UK, apart from having a small mention in a diary.
Here they advertise St Georges Day all over the place!!

I think thats probably cos English people tend to be a bit more patriotic away fro the home country?????