Reload this Page >

Spouses beware - Sport is everywhere

Spouses beware - Sport is everywhere

Old Nov 13th 2003, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough
Default Spouses beware - Sport is everywhere

I put this up on a nother thread, but to give it a more general airing:

There were some downtrodden wives bemoaning their husbands addiction to football, which they will be glad to leave behind when they move.
A few salinet points here then:

1. Footie will henceforth be referred to as 'soccer' (yuk) upon arrival.

2. Said Soccer stalks the late night/early morning hours of the TV relentlessly, causing many a blurry eyed appearance at work the next day.

3. It is a proven contraceptive

4. AFL/Rugby League will be refered to as footie (dependent on the state you live in).

5. Spouses who used to call Soccer footie will adapt, and more alarmingly will start to take an unhealthy interest in the local game.

6. Those that supported useless sides in the UK will reject the glory route over here and will for reasons unknown support useless teams here.

7. Those who followed Man United in the UK will fall lemming like into the arms of Eddie and the Pies and/or the Roosters.

8. Australians coverage of sport whether you are cabled up or not seems to be everywhere.

9. Rugby Union is known as Rah Rah, and nobody has any interest in it whatsoever unless the wobblies are winning.

10. There are 2 'desert months' - most of Oct after the 1st weekend, and late feb - mid march when there is no discernable sport on. Authorities are striving manfully to bridge this gap by scheduling early cricket tests and rugby world cups, but its going to be a tough struggle.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 1:11 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

God I LOVE being married to a man who isnt in the slightest bit interested in sport on TV! Especially football ..... of any code!

My life is complete
Old Nov 13th 2003, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Well I was also part of the discussion on the other thread, where some ladies were hopeful that bringing their spouses 'down under' would sever their hubby's passion for football.

From (bitter!) experience, I would say that the chances of this happening are slim. Reason?

5 LIVE Premiership matches a week (Sat and Sun - yes, at midnight, 1am, 2am, etc)
6 hours of European soccer (including a full Premiership match) on a Sunday afternoon
LIVE Champions League games (have been at 5am but now a much more sensible 7am)
Premiership highlights show (Mon evening)
Premiership preview show (Sat evening)
....and many other bits in adddition.

There really is no escape from it. Unless you try moving to Siberia!!

Rich, your post has some alarming truths but I contest point 3 on the grounds that I am pregnant.

And Mrs D, where did you find such a rare species?
Old Nov 13th 2003, 1:46 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
And Mrs D, where did you find such a rare species?
In England! LOL
Old Nov 13th 2003, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

I am left to conclude that you are between 3 and 6 months pregnant
Old Nov 13th 2003, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RichS
I am left to conclude that you are between 3 and 6 months pregnant
damm! June 03. So that's how it happened!!
Old Nov 13th 2003, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

You see - it was the off season