Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

a sportsman's comments on the gang rape

a sportsman's comments on the gang rape

Old Mar 5th 2004, 6:45 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I would guess Darren knew he did wrong about 5 seconds after the words left his mouth. It sure is gonna hit him in the pocket now.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 6:49 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a sportsman's comments on the gang rape

Originally posted by HUP
I heard a discussion on the radio that raised a very interesting point in that how many people laughed at jokes about things like Michael Jackson and the Shuttle disasters, paedophilia (spelling?)and death. Where is the boundry?

Rape is a dispicable crime but are not sex crimes against children equally bad if not worse?
HUP, yes, I think the difference is where he did it (at a large public function) & his position within the sport. Like I said, now that I see the context it was said in, he has just shown poor judgement - as Bordy has pointed out, I bet he realised he shouldnt have said it 5 secs after it came out of his mouth.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Is group sex, rapes and sexual assault some new kind of macho pastime for team playing sportsmen??????... all i have heard in the news today is various teams and players from different countries involved in the same kind of sordid nasty acts!!!

I am just waiting for the cries of disgruntled sports fans turning the tables on hte women involved and calling them liars or sluts.... just as they did with the Shane Warne fiasco.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:14 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Young men away from home in hotels with too much money. Add in groupies and more alcohol and the scene is set. Nout wrong with it if everyone is consenting.

Next add in tabloids offering money for stories and it becomes very muddy.

The players should know better but maybe they enjoy some of the risk.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:35 am
Badge

Originally posted by podgypossum
Is group sex, rapes and sexual assault some new kind of macho pastime for team playing sportsmen??????... all i have heard in the news today is various teams and players from different countries involved in the same kind of sordid nasty acts!!!
The Doggies are always in trouble : first of all it was the salary cap in 2002, now this.

hmmmm...rape accusations aside, I was amazed to read an article in the SMH on the subject of 'groupies' WANTING to sleep with the one or more of the football team. Written by a man and a women I think. The article made it sound like this was the 'norm'!!! If this is true, and I doubt it, makes you raise your eyebrows about the kind of men and women who would expose themselves like this and then either get slagged off for it or get more on their plate than they realised.

A professional footballer has to watch his postion in society.

There has been another story circulating where a UNION player was asked - 'now come on, surely you guys got up to all this' [not rape, but group sex] and he admitted to it, but also said 'we used to at least kiss them'. Still doesn't sound great, does it?

Leaguies seem to get in to trouble a bit more than the rah-rah boys but that is probably because League has a tougher cultural background. I have just started League incidentally, and love it so was dismayed to see this story.

Badge

Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:39 am

Put it this way. Be worried if your husband regularly pops down to canterbury road.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:41 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Put it this way. Be worried if your husband regularly pops down to canterbury road.
LOL! There used to be some shockers down there. :scared:
Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:42 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

True.
If it makes you laugh then its not offensive.
Like racist jokes, if they are funny they cant be racist.
Its always White do-gooders that get all offended by racist jokes.
Black people just get on with it.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:52 am

Originally posted by pompeywill
True.
If it makes you laugh then its not offensive.
Like racist jokes, if they are funny they cant be racist.
Its always White do-gooders that get all offended by racist jokes.
Black people just get on with it.
Are you talking about "love thy Neighbour"
Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:53 am
Badge

No groupies where we train. Just the administrator, and her daughter. We can train without distraction - ho ho.

That reminds me - someone the other day was asking about race relations in Australia - and my team is largely black - in fact there are 5 white boys out of 30 odd, although at first I didn't notice really as we were too busy busting our guts. The coach is a ex premiership bloke and he said to me last night, "watch out when you take the ball into contact - they'll be thinking 'here comes a nice white boy and they'll target you'". I'm a bit unused to all the League skills, and it shows. One minute we were practising contact, and 'playing the ball', then we had to unload. Bloody confusing.

The secretary was talking to us after training, and she reminded us all that we had to pay our insurance. We all had to pay our bills. Her words - 'you white boys get annoyed when us blacks don't pay our bills!!!'.

I was the only one who laughed - I was surprised more than anything.

Badge

Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Add Melbourne Storm to the growing list!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...378914906.html

OzTennis
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:39 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

AFL chiefs must be rubbing there hands at all the carry on with Rugby League.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 4:53 am

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...55E601,00.html

Gang-bang culture all in the game
By Wayne Smith
March 06, 2004
IT'S rugby league's sick in-house joke, the gang bang, and it is one to which coaches, officials and even the players' wives and girlfriends turn a blind eye and a deaf ear.

Footballers of all descriptions are more than capable of turning on displays of "men behaving beyond badly". But according to Mike (not his real name), a retired first grade player from the Super League era and a player with senior level experience in other codes, only rugby league has a gang-bang culture, where women are systematically sexually degraded as part of team-bonding and team-building exercises.

"When you picked up a girl in a bar after a game, it wasn't with the intention of just having sex with her yourself ... it was to share her with your teammates," said Mike. "You didn't just bonk them and then leave them. You passed them on. It was a team event."
Old Mar 7th 2004, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sick or Sad

We seem to live in a world that never ceases to shock us, not sure if I agree with the, if its funny then its not offensive stance, often people laugh because they are shocked or uncomfortable.

If anyone can't understand the vile and cruel power rapists have over their victims I suggest they read Lucky by Alice Sebold. This is a powerful and emotional account of one Rape victim and the complete impact this has had on her life.

Regards

Tracey.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 5:59 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by bondipom
Are you talking about "love thy Neighbour"
Yes I suppose I am.
'Love thy neighbour' was banned because it was considered racist.
'On the Buses' can no longer be shown because it is deemed 'not politically correct'.
'The Likely Lads' is branded sexist.
Is there anyone out there who is offended by these comedy's?
We are gradually losing our identity because of limp wristed , back slapping liberals who gain positions of power and then force their small minded opinions onto the rest of us.
And relax.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.