Reload this Page >

Is this sporting?

Is this sporting?

Old May 2nd 2004, 11:34 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
Aussie twits...what would they know???

How do airplanes navigate and land???...T-Vasis???...DME???...MLS???

...and a few others...
Now for the hard part...

Today Australia could NEVER invent these systems. It is now a retirement village...
Old May 2nd 2004, 11:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Florida_03
Now for the hard part...

Today Australia could NEVER invent these systems. It is now a retirement village...
OZ average age
In 2002 the median age of the population has increased to 35.1 years for males and 36.6 years for females.

Does this mean that most Aussies retire in mid 30's ?

And I had to wait till I was 50, its not fair !!

Old May 2nd 2004, 11:59 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
OZ average age
In 2002 the median age of the population has increased to 35.1 years for males and 36.6 years for females.

Does this mean that most Aussies retire in mid 30's ?

And I had to wait till I was 50, its not fair !!
They retire at 32 now I hear...nothing left to deliver...made all the money in the UK from real estate (buy house do nothing...sell when price artifically raised by fiscally irresponsibe governance)...

Last edited by Florida_03; May 3rd 2004 at 12:10 am.
Old May 3rd 2004, 12:26 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this sporting?

Originally posted by MikeStanton

For the UK, here's a few to begin with:

- discovery of penicillin,

Your turn...
The Aussies claim this one
Old May 3rd 2004, 2:07 am
Mel Gibson

Australian inventions.
1850: James Harrison invented the refrigerator

1889: The electric drill.

1906: World's first feature film.

1912: The Tank, which would allow the allies the break the trench
deadlock and win WW1

1915: The Asprin or Aspro as it was called then.

1924: The car radio

1934: the ute

1958: The Black Box flight recorder

1979: The Bionic Ear allowin hundreds of thousands of deaf people around the world to hear.

Old May 3rd 2004, 3:33 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/sci_achv.html

Interesting page - seems there are quite a few Australian achievements.

Obviously this thread is a recurring theme on this site - my dad bigger than your dad!

Without entering into a battle - I am quite enjoying learning about Australia, my children obviously have school assignments some of which are obviously Australian based and I often get asked for support, trouble is I do not know half the answers because my education was UK based! So I have to do a lot of research to up my knowledge. So far I have learnt all about the Australian Prime Ministers - 25 turns in office so far, Youngest was John Christian Watson at 37, etc etc, First Labour Government in the world!

I am therefore indebted to this site for stirring me to find out more - now I know the nobel prize for the discovery of penicillin was shared between a British Person and an Australian! Excellent, I was obviously in the dark before.

I knew all about the wonderful advances with the cochlear implant (bionic ear) -small point - only around 20,000 have had the implant so far not hundreds of thousands.

I am looking forward to finding out more and expanding my education - keep it up.

Cheers Sandra
Old May 3rd 2004, 6:06 am
Mel Gibson

Australia recently held the most successful Olympic games in history. Britain can't get the games even though it keeps trying.

Old May 3rd 2004, 6:22 am
Mel Gibson

Australia invented the Aeroplane. An Australian called Lawrence Hargraves invented the world's first powered flying machine when he attached an engine to a cellular box-kite he invented.
However he could'nt overcome the weight problems of his aeroplane. The wright brothers then ripped off most of his ideas and
went down in history as having invented the aeroplane.

Old May 3rd 2004, 6:25 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mel Gibson
Australia invented the Aeroplane. An Australian called Lawrence Hargraves invented the world's first powered flying machine when he attached an engine to a cellular box-kite he invented.
However he could'nt overcome the weight problems of his aeroplane. The wright brothers then ripped off most of his ideas and
He was an English! Born in England and moved to Aus at 15!

Which starts a whole new/old row about nationality, but lets forget that please
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

The trouble with this game is it can so easily backfire on you. Imagine my glee when England beat Australia at Rugby Union in the warm up friendly before last years world cup. I was finally able to rag the aussies I worked with right up until Australia beat England at soccer a week or so later

DOH!

By the way, for the lists people seem to be compiling, Focus Night and Day, Cibavisions "wear all the time for 30 days" contact lens was invented by CSIRO in Australia
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:42 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

However he could'nt overcome the weight problems of his aeroplane. The wright brothers then ripped off most of his ideas and went down in history as having invented the aeroplane.
Surely the invention has to work to count???
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:49 am
Mel Gibson

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Picture it.

You're sitting in an Aussie pub (having just finished your lunch at the (sic) Chinese Smorgasbord) and your Aussie mates bend your ear for the 286th time to tell you that the Brits are crap at sport and 'dinki dis' are so much better. So, why not try a different sort of game?
Ask them to name 10 things Aussies have invented, created or done, since Federation in 1901, that have had a positive impact on many lives. And you'll name 10 that the Brits have done in the same period.

1 point for a positive impact in your own country, 2 if the impact extends to other countries. Oh, and derivatives -such as the ABC- don't count.

No worries, they say. And then tell them that sports, film and music are excluded.

Silence.

At that point most of the Aussies will mumble under their breath, some will shuffle-off to the bar, some will make an extended visit to the toilet, another might say he needs to visit his ute to talk to his Blue Heeler dog named 'Go Away'. And the one Aussie that's game for a battle will remain (badge ?).

Why after 1901? Well, for UK, using examples like the English language; works of Shakespeare and Dickens; vaccination and trial by jury, would hardly be fair, would it?

For the UK, here's a few to begin with:

- first TV transmission
- BBC
- discovery of penicillin,
- invention of CAT scanner, ultrasound machine
- radar
- during the second world war - Winston Churchill's leadership, Battle of Britain, cracking of Enigma code etc
- National Health Service
- Open University
- Internet - invented the world wide web
- first commercial jet-powered plane
- Keynesian economics
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Amnesty International

...sorry, I said 10....

And for Oz?

Your turn...
Mike Stanton, it appears your post claiming Australians have invented or contributed nothing to the world in the last 100
years has backfired on you. If you read the responces to your post it appears Australia has invented and contributed more to the world in the last 100 years then Britain has in the last 1,000.
Also Australia was the first country to introduce the secret ballot
in elections and the first to give women the right to vote. Howard
Florey an AUSTRALIAN invented Penicillin which saved the lives of millions of people.

Old May 3rd 2004, 8:00 am
Mel Gibson

As Australia was the first country to give women the vote it can also be claimed that Australia was the world's first country to
become a democracy as no country that denies half its population the right to vote can be called a democrcy.

Old May 3rd 2004, 9:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The wright brothers then ripped off most of his ideas and
Which means they invented the aeroplane. History is full of ripped off ideas.
Old May 3rd 2004, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Mike Stanton, it appears your post claiming Australians have invented or contributed nothing to the world in the last 100
years has backfired on you. If you read the responces to your post it appears Australia has invented and contributed more to the world in the last 100 years then Britain has in the last 1,000.
Also Australia was the first country to introduce the secret ballot
in elections and the first to give women the right to vote. Howard
Florey an AUSTRALIAN invented Penicillin which saved the lives of millions of people.
Where did I claim that Aussies have invented or contributed nothing in the last 100 years? I wanted to generate some debate and emphasise the fact that Aussies love to talk about sport - but can talk about precious little else. Yes, it's a generalisation, but sadly, a fair one. I wonder how many Aussies could quote 10 important inventions without the help of the Internet

Now, in a typically modest British way, I would like to point out that your claim that "...it appears Australia has invented and contributed more to the world in the last 100 years then Britain has in the last 1,000" is just...what's the word?...drivel/laughable.

Finally, Florey did not invent penicillin. Nobody did - it occurs naturally. Fleming discovered penicillin's properties. Fleming, Florey et al turned this discovery into a life-saving medicine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.