Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SPONSORSHIP now or PR while in Australia

SPONSORSHIP now or PR while in Australia

Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:01 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SPONSORSHIP now or PR while in Australia

There are three types of employer sponsorship. The first is the temporary 457-employer sponsored visa that ties you to the employer for the period of the visa => if you leave the employer you can expect visa cancellation to follow quite quickly, leaving you to find another employer who will sponsor you, or to leave Australia.

The second type is a permanent visa granted under the Employer Nomination Scheme. This can be applied for inside or outside Australia, and if things are going well with an employment under a 457-visa it can be the case that the employer is happy to sponsor an ENS application. However, the employer does have to enter into a 3-year contract, and must demonstrate that there are no Australians able to fill the job that is being offered (unless the occupation is on the MODL).

Because the ENS brings with it a 3 year commitment and up front costs for the employer many employers will include a penalty/clawback of costs clause within the contract of employment if the employee leaves within 3 years.

The third option is a permanent visa granted under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme, which is available where the employer is in a regional area. This involves the employer in a 2-year commitment, but unlike a visa granted under the ENS a visa under the RSMS can be cancelled if the employee ceases to be employed by the employer - if the employee leaves for "reasons within their control."

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by auto
Ceri
You seem to have a big thing against agents. What I am trying across to you is as the company sponsoring you is paying for PR they want a commitment from you that you will not leave after it comes through, that is why we went it alone and therefore have to go offshore to collect our visas.
Hope this is clearer. ( you are turning into an Aussie you sound like you think you are right all the time )
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:08 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working in the Health Sector in Australia

Incidentally, for those looking for employment in the health sector in Australia this site is probably worth reviewing:
http://www.workingin-australia.com/occupations/48

Best regards.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:42 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: SPONSORSHIP now or PR while in Australia

Originally posted by Alan Collett
There are three types of employer sponsorship. The first is the temporary 457-employer sponsored visa that ties you to the employer for the period of the visa => if you leave the employer you can expect visa cancellation to follow quite quickly, leaving you to find another employer who will sponsor you, or to leave Australia.

The second type is a permanent visa granted under the Employer Nomination Scheme. This can be applied for inside or outside Australia, and if things are going well with an employment under a 457-visa it can be the case that the employer is happy to sponsor an ENS application. However, the employer does have to enter into a 3-year contract, and must demonstrate that there are no Australians able to fill the job that is being offered (unless the occupation is on the MODL).

Because the ENS brings with it a 3 year commitment and up front costs for the employer many employers will include a penalty/clawback of costs clause within the contract of employment if the employee leaves within 3 years.

The third option is a permanent visa granted under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme, which is available where the employer is in a regional area. This involves the employer in a 2-year commitment, but unlike a visa granted under the ENS a visa under the RSMS can be cancelled if the employee ceases to be employed by the employer - if the employee leaves for "reasons within their control."

Hope this helps.

:Because the ENS brings with it a 3 year commitment and up front costs for the employer many employers will include a penalty/clawback of costs clause within the contract of employment if the employee leaves within 3 years."

thank you.

We were on this, we left after a year. after getting PR.. what I was saying before.. the personal contract. We did not have to pay back our sponsors. There were no clauses in our company contract... but as far as immigration goes... you can leave to go to another company, you are not tied to them.

cheers
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

tosh cambridge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by RichS
My Wife and I arrived in Aus on a travel visa.

My wife is a nurse, and as such set about obtaining sponsorship for a 457. Very quickly it became apparent that the shortage of nurses is so acute here that she could choose her sponsor pretty much at will.

We obtained the visa which was for 3 years. My wife is very happy with her employers and they and they have now agreed to sponsor her PR application. Hopefully that will be approved and she will continue to work for them.

Some points to note from the reponses so far:

1. You are not tied to 3 years if you are sponsored by an employer. There is an implication in the application that you should stay with an employer for that long, but you will note that actually the liability is on the employer to prove there is a job available for not less than 36 months duration.

2. The original poster - don't be put off by the stories of people being flogged to death on 457 visas - in your line of work it would be simple, and by no means unusual to transfer employment and obtain another 457. You can also renew your 457 and should manage to get an extension.

3. If you do get sponsored by a health provider you will not need to satisfy the points test.

4. No way do you need an agent - I suspect whoever said that has been fleeced (no pun intended if its the Welsh lady).
Hi

I am in a position where my sponsors were originally going to sponsor me on a 457 until I discovered they were willing to sponsor for permenant residency, which I have now started.

I now discover that I should register with the ANC, which was not required for the 457, am registered with NSW nurse reg. board.

Does anyone know whether you need to register with the ANC aswell?

Thanks
Kath
Old Sep 13th 2003, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa for Nurses - PR

Yes you need to apply to both ANCI and the NSW. Doing it one way makes it cheaper than the other (by quite a large margin) - check the forms to see which is best way around (I cant remember as it was last year when I did this).

I would reccommend applying for PR in the UK, mainly because you need to access lots of information and I found that easier to do here. Also you definetley do not need an agent - the process for nurses is quite straight forward.