Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship Attitude

Sponsorship Attitude

Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

brutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant future
Default Sponsorship Attitude

Hi,

Has anybody out there managed to get sorted with PR status by being sponsored by a company on a 457?

Has anyone not managed to get status this way?

Have you been offered sponsorship and then were left cold when asking for PR or simply abandoned?

Just curious, thanks,
B
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:50 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship Attitude

Hello B,

I am on a sub class 457 temp visa and the company is now supporting an application for RSMS sponsorship.

They paid all cost for the temp visa - I will pay all costs for the RSMS.
This was all agreed before I came here.

I personally know 4 people here in Cairns who have successfully converted from temp to PR.

Hope I will be joining them.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

brutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant future

Thats good news, I hope you get PR soon.

I presume thats what RSMS leads to?

Can I ask what kind of work you do? How'd you end up there?

B

Originally Posted by Bix
Hello B,

I am on a sub class 457 temp visa and the company is now supporting an application for RSMS sponsorship.

They paid all cost for the temp visa - I will pay all costs for the RSMS.
This was all agreed before I came here.

I personally know 4 people here in Cairns who have successfully converted from temp to PR.

Hope I will be joining them.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brutus
Hi,

Has anybody out there managed to get sorted with PR status by being sponsored by a company on a 457?

Have you been offered sponsorship and then were left cold when asking for PR or simply abandoned?

Just curious, thanks,
B
More than a few people discover there's some kind of 'company policy' not to sponsor for PR after they arrive. The safest way is to get them to sponsor you for an offshore employer nominated PR visa before you leave. This is quite possible.

Jeremy
Old Jan 20th 2005, 1:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just curious, thanks,
B
It happens but it depends on the profession, company and being in the right place at the right time. Some companies simply have a no sponsorship policy whilst others only sponsor certain professions.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

RSMS doesn't 'lead to' PR - it *is* a PR visa. Although it has a special condition that you are expected to stay with your employer for 2 years normally and it can be cancelled if you don't. Although if you are laid off with an RSMS visa, it's no problem and you keep your PR.

Jeremy
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:36 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Just curious, thanks,
B
Brutus
Going through that process right now.
Arrived in a 457 October and now getting paperwork together for PR (ENS). All at employers cost and agrred in full before I arrived.

Andrew
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

mamichelle is on a distinguished road

I am on a 457 at the moment between WH visa and applying for defacto spouse visa. The others in the same company as me aren't guaranteed PR. They have to organise PR themselves before the 457 expires.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Did the company give any reason as to why they didn't want to offer you PR? Its good to hear some positive stories anyway.

All the best to you guys, hope it all works out for you

Originally Posted by mamichelle
I am on a 457 at the moment between WH visa and applying for defacto spouse visa. The others in the same company as me aren't guaranteed PR. They have to organise PR themselves before the 457 expires.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

What line of work are you in?

Originally Posted by andrew63
Brutus
Going through that process right now.
Arrived in a 457 October and now getting paperwork together for PR (ENS). All at employers cost and agrred in full before I arrived.

Andrew
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask what kind of work you do? How'd you end up there?

B
Sorry mate. Tried to reply last night but my internet connection crashed.

As JAJ says RSMS is PR with the condition you stay with the company for 2 years. You are then a free agent if you wish to be.
If during the 2 years you have to leave due to reasons beyond your control then you can stay in Aus with full PR status intact.
So if you take yourself out of work you lose the PR.
The only way around the 2 year criteria is to obtain a different visa. That can be an RSMS with another company.
Here's the DIMIA site info on sponsorships if you don't have it....
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/emp...ex.htm#summary

I work in mining and was headhunted as there is very little knowledge of the mineral I deal with in Aus and in fact very limited knowledge in the world. The company I work for are basically a new start-up so need to get experience into the company. There are a handful of us POMS scattered around different parts of the company. The idea is we impart the knowledge to the local workforce and that is indeed what we are doing. Of course that is a basic principal of the sponsorship scheme.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Its not GIPPSLAND you work for is it?, cos I just bought shares in them.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback, all the best again for the future.

B

Originally Posted by Bix

As JAJ says RSMS is PR with the condition you stay with the company for 2 years. You are then a free agent if you wish to be.
If during the 2 years you have to leave due to reasons beyond your control then you can stay in Aus with full PR status intact.
The only way around the 2 year criteria is to obtain a different visa. That can be an RSMS with another company.

I work in mining and was headhunted as there is very little knowledge of the mineral I deal with in Aus and in fact very limited knowledge in the world. The company I work for are basically a new start-up so need to get experience into the company. There are a handful of us POMS scattered around different parts of the company. The idea is we impart the knowledge to the local workforce and that is indeed what we are doing. Of course that is a basic principal of the sponsorship scheme.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 9:21 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Its not GIPPSLAND you work for is it?, cos I just bought shares in them.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback, all the best again for the future.

B
Thanks.
No, this is us...
http://www.skardon.com.au
Not got my piccie on there yet as we are reconstructing the site.
(Shares are bloody cheap)
Old Jan 20th 2005, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

GIP are up 9% already, they mine for Tantalum, and have just got a contract to mine some big seam in Egpyt.

I'll have a look at skardon too, see if they're up to much

Originally Posted by Bix
Thanks.
No, this is us...
http://www.skardon.com.au
Not got my piccie on there yet as we are reconstructing the site.
(Shares are bloody cheap)
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:00 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Bix

If you left your employer within the 2 year period on an RSMS visa and joined another *regional* employer then DIMIA might not cancel your RSMS - the policy is really there to stop people using the visa to go straight to Sydney or Melbourne and leaving the regional employer in the lurch. But you don't want to take the risk in most cases.

Anyone on an RSMS visa who feels their job really is not working out within the 2 years should get some first-class professional advice about their options before taking any decisions.

Another way is to get sponsored for ENS at the outset, instead of RSMS. This is available throughout Australia but the rules are tougher than for RSMS and your prospective employer may wonder about your commitment.

A further way, if you have 120 points, is to lodge a 136 at the same time as, or before, the RSMS, and then after going to Australia, when the 136 is granted this will override the RSMS visa (and the cancellation provisions). Again use an agent if doing this as there are some tricky timing issues to be considered and you'd need to go offshore to get your RSMS stamped.

Jeremy