Reload this Page >

Sponsoring parents

Sponsoring parents

Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Skippy9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsoring parents

Hi there.

Was wondering if anyone could help me. My name is Hamish and im currently in the process of getting my 176 visa. My question is more for my wife, she would love it if her parents could come over to stay if we settled and decided to stay in oz for the long term. I have heard that you are able to sponsor people on a 176 visa, can't seem to find much information on the subject? Can you sponsor someone if you have citizenship ? What would the costs be?

Any help would be welcome thanks

Hamish.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:58 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring parents

Originally Posted by Skippy9
Hi there.

Was wondering if anyone could help me. My name is Hamish and im currently in the process of getting my 176 visa. My question is more for my wife, she would love it if her parents could come over to stay if we settled and decided to stay in oz for the long term. I have heard that you are able to sponsor people on a 176 visa, can't seem to find much information on the subject? Can you sponsor someone if you have citizenship ? What would the costs be?

Hamish.
How many children do they have in total...and where do they live?
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

They have two children, when we arrive in oz it will be 1 in oz, 1 in Scotland.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there.

Hamish.
You are probably thinking of the parent visa, you can sponsor as a PR or citizen subject to meeting certain criteria. The cost is about $40k for each parent I think.

The question asked by Grayling above is about the balance of family test, which they pass with one child in Australia and one outside.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:09 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

They have two children, when we arrive in oz it will be 1 in oz, 1 in Scotland.
Then you will be able to sponsor for a contributory parent visa when you have been there for 2 years as they will pass the balance of family test....provided neither of them has any children from another relationship.

It will cost around $80000 for the two of them but is fairly easy to get and the wait is around 2 years from application.

There is also a non contributory visa which is cheaper but the wait is over 15 years

Look up Parent visas here:

www.immi.gov.au
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much, don't think the in laws are worth 80k ha ha!!!
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Thanks very much, don't think the in laws are worth 80k ha ha!!!
The CP visa will allow them to work, have full medicare rights and to become citizens after 4 years....it is a permanent visa.

It is really about the only viable visa available
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

That's brilliant thanks, and something for the inlaws to aim for. Thanks again for all the help.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:31 pm
Bitter and twisted

There is also an aged parent visa but I do not know much about that....you really need to read the information in the DIAC website which I posted a link to earlier

Good luck
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I looked into this before my MIL died.

I reckon the cheapest/best thing to do in bring them over on tourist visas (you'll have to do some research on this because it's a type of tourist visa which doesn't have a clause forbidding you for applying for a different visa when in Australia).

Anyway, when in Australia apply for an onshore Parent Visa and they will get a bridging visa. By the time their Parent Visa application gets dealt with they will have died as it takes years and years.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

I reckon the cheapest/best thing to do in bring them over on tourist visas (you'll have to do some research on this because it's a type of tourist visa which doesn't have a clause forbidding you for applying for a different visa when in Australia).

Anyway, when in Australia apply for an onshore Parent Visa and they will get a bridging visa. By the time their Parent Visa application gets dealt with they will have died as it takes years and years.
Charming.

It is an option though. The parents (or one of them) would need to be over certain age (no minimum age for the contributory visa). And they also have to reconcile themselves with being on bridging visa status for a very long time, having to apply to leave the country etc.

Another possibility is spending six months in each country at a time, using tourist visa for the time in Australia.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by renth

They have to be classed as 'aged' to do that. ie over 65
Old Feb 12th 2012, 2:11 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
They have to be classed as 'aged' to do that. ie over 65
Do both parents have to be over 65?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 2:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Do both parents have to be over 65?
Just the primary applicant AFIK

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...1parents.htm#c
Old Feb 12th 2012, 2:25 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Another possibility is spending six months in each country at a time, using tourist visa for the time in Australia.
Yep, summer in Oz, summer in the UK.

Needs a visa stamp run to another country, and an immigration person that doesn't ask too many nasty questions, but it's been done by people I know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.