Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders in your House

Wikiposts

Spiders in your House

Old Sep 24th 2003, 10:11 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MartinD
Here the pic...

EEEWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 24th 2003, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok....that's it.

Have just read this thread, seen the picture:scared: , and I'm off to cancel my flights

Survived living in Zambia and Zinbabwe for a couple of years, but these buggers really frighten me:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:05 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
can you buy any sort of repellant, or is that just wishful thinking?

sue:scared: :scared: :scared:
You can get a surface spray, which you spray around all possible entrance points to your house....under the eaves, around window frames etc. It lasts quite a while depending on what one you buy, and they work very well.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:15 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The Bombs are more fun but a bit dangerous. They are good before you move in. Basically they are a can of poisonous spray that releases in one go.

Remember to turn off the electronics (the stuff is inflamable) and to put away all plates, cutlery and other crockery. Then the fun begins. Set at least one off in each room and stand and sniff the fresh air. Actually if you value your health get the hell out of the house.

A few hours later and your house is an insect graveyard. The little buggers that are not dead are limping around and quickly eliminated.

You must then wipe free all surfaces of the poison unless you think the kids might like the taste.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:25 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

s'ok suffolkdiva, I think we will be ok.
first we bomb the place (several times just to be on the safe side!) - then spray copious amounts of repellant over every nook and cranny - put the insect screens up, ensuring a spider trap thingy is near by - then wait to be carted off to the local funny farm!!!!!:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:28 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

put the insect screens up, ensuring a spider trap thingy is near by
The best spider trap? Your boot
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:30 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

first we bomb the place (several times just to be on the safe side!) - then spray copious amounts of repellant over every nook and cranny - put the insect screens up, ensuring a spider trap thingy is near by - then wait to be carted off to the local funny farm!!!!!:scared: :scared: :scared:
Surface spray before bombing then anything that crawls out loses it in the surface spray. Bomb the whole place at once so there is no escape.

Die roaches die.

Signing off

Captain Kurtz

Anyway the chemicals are probably far more dangerous than any insect.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you should cover yourself in netting (like a bee-keeper) and go to bed in a box like Michael Jackson! I wonder if there are many true arachnaphobes in Aus? Bet they wouldn't last 5 minutes!
Old Sep 25th 2003, 1:58 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect picture I was wetting myself reading this.....it was me to a tee.

I can not tell the awful things I did making a dick of myself over here because of the bugs etc. I am getting better ...with the help of mortein bombs and large rolled up newspapers.

My next phobia...pigeons....I hate summer cause all the places outside to have lunch near where I work are havens for the scrawny buggers...picture today...book, sandwich, milk...me feet up in the air and nearly in tears when one came under my chair...actually I am terrifed of all birds. Moths come a close second...this country does not need moths the size of your hand does it?.....or do the spiders feed on them?

Cheers
Old Sep 25th 2003, 2:53 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I got bitten by a whitetail...it wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't that bad. Walking around with a vinegar-soaked bandage for days was the worst bit.

Personally, I'm more worried about the snakes...especially when they turn up under your bed. Best tip I heard was that you should stand stock still and the snake will slither on by. Never tried it. As one with a total snake phobia, I'd be the one legging it in the opposite direction ...
Old Sep 25th 2003, 7:01 am
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point

Before I read this thread, I didnt class myself as an arachnophobic, I dont like spiders ON me, but I don't freak out when I see one. I was also really looking forward to going to Perth.
Im now changing my views on both subjects!!:scared:
Old Sep 25th 2003, 8:25 am

Originally posted by bondipom
Surface spray before bombing then anything that crawls out loses it in the surface spray. Bomb the whole place at once so there is no escape.

Die roaches die.

Signing off

Captain Kurtz

Anyway the chemicals are probably far more dangerous than any insect.
Cant stop laughing...........
its all too pythonesque for me........d'ya think terry jones will buy the film rights from us?

sue :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 25th 2003, 10:58 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MartinD

Apparently this is one of the many natural mysteries of Australia - why do so many species possess enough venom to bring down an elephant when all they need to do is zap a grasshopper or two???

The theory is that they have huge amounts of venom to immediately disable their prey before they get attacked and killed themselves
Old Sep 25th 2003, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I just use a large aerosol can of fly / bug spray and if you give even the big spiders a good blast they dont survive more than about 10 minutes. The same type of sprays in the UK you could virtually empty a can on them and they still took hours to die.
The sprays are def more potent out here thank goodness.
You can also get a container of insectiside for about $6 a litre that you put in a sprayer and give all your entrances a good going over that acts as a barrier and even the big ones that cross the barrier are killed because they pick up the poison when they crossed the barrier.
I occasionally find large dead spiders when I move furniture about which is far preferable to live one wandering around. Kills ants and cochroaches out as well.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 1:10 pm
IT nerd

MartinD is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing to beware of with the sprays is that the effect is not immediate, and if you generally spray an area, any spiders lurking out of sight are driven into the open trying to escape the poison. The net effect of this is that a general spray in a 'good' area can result in 2/3 of the nasty buggers emerging and writhing around across the floor for a few minutes before actually succumbing.

This is particularly scary when you spray around the eaves of the house, or in the upper corners of the patio - they will slowly start dropping from up there in a semi-dead but very pissed-off mood(what happened to the woman in the pic).

When we have seen the black window type spiders effected like this, we are sure that their last instinct is to lash out at the big grinning idiots peering down at them, and they will make a dash for you to try and get a last nip in. I tell you, Aussie spider are that hard all they are lacking is the leather jackets and flick knives...:scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.