Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders and things that bite!!!!!!!!!

Spiders and things that bite!!!!!!!!!

Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Barba04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spiders and things that bite!!!!!!!!!

Hi I am currently trying to decide where it is in oz that i want to live. One thing that worries me the most is all the spiders, snakes, jellyfish and other such things that can bite/kill me and my family. Do i need to be as worried as i am? Am i more likely to come across some of these creatures in certain states or areas of oz?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spiders and things that bite!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm pretty sure you have to take certain precautions, but if it was that much of a problem - i suspect you'd be hearing of a lot of Australians (and visitors) dying daily from these things. As we don't i suspect you are fairly safe. Sure there are going to be the unlucky ones who get bitten but there the chances we take. You can get run over by a bus tomorrow going to work.

The east and inland areas by all accounts have 'more' of the nasty's. For instance the West doesn't really have the funnel web or white tail by all accounts. they do have the red back but these aren't generally an aggresive spider.

Snakes are generally more scared of you than you are of them so they do try to avoid you, but they can't help getting caught in back gardens and stuff from time to time.

Speaking to friends and family of mine over there you get people saying I've been here all my life and only ever seen 2 snakes etc.

Spiders are a little more prevelant by all accounts, but you can get your house sprayed which kills em, and despite what you may have heard, they aren't all out there thinking 'right! Where's my next human to bite and kill?'

Cockroaches and flies will probably be the most of your troubles.

Regards

James
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:16 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

We made the decision to stay away from NSW based on the funnel web spider

In actual fact, in Vic although there are a few nasties the chances of you meeting them are slim. Invest in one of those cheap spider catchers (the ones with the vaccume that sucks the spider into a tube so you can release them outside) and just line the inside of the tube with mortein so it will catch and kill the spider for you. That way you will be a lot happier if you see one in your house as you know you have the upper hand.

As for snakes, in our 4 years in Oz my hubby and I saw 1 between us. Admittidly it could have killed us but it preferred to escape what it saw as a predator. Since returning to Scotland my husband has seen 4 They really are not waiting around every corner in Australia.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Barba04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice, see i figured that somewhere like cairns would have more nasties than say adelaide because it is sub tropical but then i think but adelaide is the hottest state so maybe it has more snakes. I have to admit in the back of my mind is the worry that my sons may get bitten, bt then like you say I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. I'm not about to let my worries stop me from moving however it does affect the area of australia I choose to live in. I can't stand the culture of low, humdrumness in uk. Everyone inc me seems to have something to moan about. I don't feel as if children are inspired to be somebody and I am hoping that by moving to oz my children will have more family time and will grow up to be more interested in life and lifes opportunities. Yes I know lving in la la land a little bit but hey I am a fairly new mummy!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

G1ZmO will become famous soon enough

What kinds of beasties are we likely to encounter in Melbourne?

I'd guess that there wouldn't be that many in the inner suburbs but would be a little more prevalent on the outskirts?

Made the mistake of watching one of these "Australia's Deadliest...." programs the other night! Won't be doing that again lol

Paul

ps tbh I'm more concerned about my 3 yr olds prospects of getting stabbed by some ned here before he even gets to his teens!

Last edited by G1ZmO; Feb 25th 2009 at 9:19 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Your kids are going to be in more danger of injury from drunk drivers, antisocial teens, needlestick injury in public parks, mental health disorders than they ever will be from spiders and snakes. You might also want to avoid areas where the mozzies carry Ross River fever - that can be very debilitating.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

A large group of Huntsman spiders broke into our house last week wielding baseball bats. They announced that THEY lived here now and we are currently living in a tent in the garden. We do nip in to brew a cuppa when they are out though.
I was told these spiders were harmless - be careful!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:03 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Barba04
Hi I am currently trying to decide where it is in oz that i want to live. One thing that worries me the most is all the spiders, snakes, jellyfish and other such things that can bite/kill me and my family. Do i need to be as worried as i am? Am i more likely to come across some of these creatures in certain states or areas of oz?
More people in OZ are killed by falling trees each year then the wildlife. So its just like saying l'm affraid to live in OZ because a tree might fall on my head.
The snakes, spiders, sharks , crocs , jellyfish and everything else kill around 10 people a year compared to 1,600 in car accidents, so you better not travel by car in OZ because your 1,600 times more likely to be killed in a car accident then the wildlife. In my opinion your toatally safe on land in OZ snakes and spiders kill almost no one , almost everyone that is unlucky to be bitten survives these days with modern anti venom treatment, its only in the water in the tropical north the country l would advoid with crocs and jellyfish, but the oceans and rivers in the southern part are safe from crocs and jellysish.

Last edited by mohogony; Feb 25th 2009 at 10:12 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:08 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by quoll
Your kids are going to be in more danger of injury from drunk drivers, antisocial teens, needlestick injury in public parks, mental health disorders than they ever will be from spiders and snakes. You might also want to avoid areas where the mozzies carry Ross River fever - that can be very debilitating.
More kids in OZ are killed by dogs then snakes and spiders, dogs are much more dangerous. Living in a city steping on a junkies needle is the danger not stepping on a snake.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kporte
A large group of Huntsman spiders broke into our house last week wielding baseball bats. They announced that THEY lived here now and we are currently living in a tent in the garden. We do nip in to brew a cuppa when they are out though.
I was told these spiders were harmless - be careful!
Thats it i am not going!!

I hate baseball bats

Paddy
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about

Barba04, have you been to Oz before? I'd suggest a visit/holiday first.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BudBrain
Barba04, have you been to Oz before? I'd suggest a visit/holiday first.
You can always tell the people who have never been to OZ before because they think OZ suburbia and backyards are crawling with millions of deadly snakes, spiders and crocs all waiting to jump out and kill you.

Last edited by mohogony; Feb 25th 2009 at 10:33 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:08 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Statistically, children are more at risk from their own parents than from any other source of danger.

I saw a snake last night. Slithered out from under the mower and into the hedge.

Up here in the north we don't seem to have too much in the way of deadly spiders, maybe our big spiders (orbs and hunstmen) keep most of them away. I've seen quite a few snakes, mostly tree snakes which are pretty harmless. They're always going in the opposite direction. If you're worried about blue ringed octopuses, sharks and stingers, then it's fairly easy to avoid them. Your kids, for examples, will not meet these creatures on the trip to school. Unless you live on an island and haven't got a boat.

Of course, the snake or crocodile you see isn't really a threat. It's the ones you don't see before they strike are the problem. Five year old boy was eaten by a croc up here a couple of weeks ago. Very tragic, but one wonders why his parents allowed him to wander along the bank of a crocdile infested river.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
You can always tell the people who have never been to OZ before because they think OZ suburbia and backyards are crawling with millions of deadly snakes, spiders and crocs all waiting to jump out and kill you.
I know silly isn't it - crocodiles can't jump.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=hoofie2002;73234 crocodiles can't jump.[/QUOTE]

soon to be a movie starring Woody Harleson and Ally Gator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.