Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders And Snakes ? How Bad ?

Spiders And Snakes ? How Bad ?

Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough
Default Spiders And Snakes ? How Bad ?

Hi
Moving to Perth ! Everyone is scaring the living daylights out of me. How bad is the situation with spiders and snakes ? Imagine not being able to sleep at night worrying about them ? How often and where do you see them most .
Any areas ( housing ) to avoid suppose the countryside is the worst ?
While I am on here ...if you live in Perth how much would you expect to pay rent per week for a 4 bed house with pool. Been watching Down Under and the prices seem to be so so high ! How true is it ? What you looking at average / Any good websites to look at ?

So many things to think about before we actually get there.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all
Default Re: Spiders And Snakes ? How Bad ?

Hi calm down!

sister has lived there for 15years and has seen a single snake well thats what she tells me and she also says you get your house sprayed once a year to deter spiders, been over there twice now and i havent seen any either. if you go more bush areas then you might be in with a chance.

try wwwrealestate.com.au for prices on rental
good luck and dont let people bully you i was the same but seen for my own eyes.
pauleen
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mum01753
Hi calm down!

sister has lived there for 15years and has seen a single snake well thats what she tells me and she also says you get your house sprayed once a year to deter spiders, been over there twice now and i havent seen any either. if you go more bush areas then you might be in with a chance.

try wwwrealestate.com.au for prices on rental
good luck and dont let people bully you i was the same but seen for my own eyes.
pauleen
sorry meant hasnt seen a single snake!!!!!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

yup spiders and snakes everywhere, we have a spider i call spot i still havent managed to get the saddle on him yet . Nah you may see the odd big spider around the house or a snake out bush but if you leave em alone they'll leave you alone. The thought is often more scary than the encounter, it's weird when you think about the uk the most dangerous animals there are badgers and adders
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Since I got here in June I've seen:

2 brown snakes
1 copperhead
1 huntsman
3 redbacks
4 cockroaches
and hundreds of little house spiders

I live in an area that was developed on Marsh land, I'd suggest you didn't live anywhere near one
Old Feb 9th 2007, 11:09 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Most spiders are harmless, just scary looking. I try to leave them alone around the house. Saw one yesterday grab a fly and drag it back to his nest. He earned his keep.

Been here nearly 4 years now. Spend a fair bit of time on farmland and walking through the dunes to the beach. Probably seen about 20 snakes. The last one was underneath my dog ! - the brown snake was on a path through scrubby sand dunes (off Goolwa) and the dog walked over it without noticing. The snake just slithered off into the scrub without getting nasty.

I've had a few close encounters with brown snakes at the farm. It's scary for about 2 seconds while you both evaluate the situation. The snake usually gets scared and heads off in the opposite direction.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by obogk
Hi
Moving to Perth ! Everyone is scaring the living daylights out of me. How bad is the situation with spiders and snakes ? Imagine not being able to sleep at night worrying about them ? How often and where do you see them most .
While I am on here ...if you live in Perth how much would you expect to pay rent per week for a 4 bed house with pool. Been watching Down Under and the prices seem to be so so high ! How true is it ? What you looking at average / Any good websites to look at ?

Nothing to worry about really. In four months we've seen a trapdoor and a huntsman and one tree snake. None of which attacked us. In fact the snake got on with things, continued to bask in the sun - dog ignored it and the trapdoor ran away. Managed to sweep the huntsman out of the house. You do get lots of creepy crawlies and some funny looking bugs but you get used to seeing them. Geckos are a plenty but they're friendly. It's the bloody toads I don't like. Cocky little gits Depending on where you live, you also get the chance to see some nice things in the garden like the kookarburras and honey eaters. We see a possum now and then but which we find quite enchanting but the neighbours think they are horrible and see them as vermin - whatever you do don't feed them. You get to see some beautiful butterflies and dragonflies. The first time you see a turkey wandering round the garden is quite amusing and after four months I still get excited when the tree frogs come and sit on the window sill or the bench outside. Sad I know but I think they are lovely.

So try not to think about the wee bities think about all the new and fascinating flora and fauna you'll get to see and make sure you enjoy them when you get here because the novelty will soon wear off.

Mx
Attached Thumbnails Spiders And Snakes ? How Bad ?-imag0443.jpg   Spiders And Snakes ? How Bad ?-imag0584.jpg   Spiders And Snakes ? How Bad ?-imag0602.jpg  
Old Feb 10th 2007, 5:00 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Hi

OZ has the most deadly snakes and spiders in the world and their everyhere, becasue of the drought snakes are now moving into suburban houses,
Old Feb 10th 2007, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
OZ has the most deadly snakes and spiders in the world and their everyhere, becasue of the drought snakes are now moving into suburban houses,
Don't worry about them. They are no problem when you add SANDFLIES into the equasions.

Nightmare creatures that such your blood and make you itch!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

You'll frighten the poor sod to death.

Mx
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:41 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rabc
Don't worry about them. They are no problem when you add SANDFLIES into the equasions.

Nightmare creatures that such your blood and make you itch!
Hang on..you're forgetting about ticks too! Anywhere there are kangaroo's there are blood sucking ticks. My OH, M-I-L, and son have all had one. Horrible things.

As for spiders and snakes...live in a new development where they're still building all around you and you won't see many!! They don't like to be disturbed!!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:03 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi,
Don't worry, we have been here for 3 long holidays in the past 4 years and have seen quite a few red backs in garden furniture and sheds but they really don't bother you if you leave them alone.

Since moving here 6 months ago we have only seen very small, dead spiders(including white tips/tails) in and around the house, 1 baby huntsman also dead and no snakes. We live in a very new, two storey house on a new coastal development. Our house is very close to the beach and not far from bush land in Falcon and Dawesville but I spray regularly, move furniture, remove webs and hoover everywhere a once or twice a week.

ACE

Last edited by ACE; Feb 10th 2007 at 7:05 am.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:14 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Why do you think OZ has such a large,generous immigration policy its to replace the tens of thousands of Aussies killed each year by the snakes and spiders in order to maintain the population level.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 10th 2007 at 7:29 am.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Phil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura about

Hi
How bad is the situation with spiders and snakes ? Imagine not being able to sleep at night worrying about them ? How often and where do you see them most .
Hi...

Glad you asked this question as I am another that is terrfied of spiders but not going to let it stand in my way of moving there.. I know some of you thing its funny ha ha but they really do scare me... Has any one moved to Oz feeling like this and has been able to overcome their fear.. If so how, im seriously considering seeing a hypnotist....

Oh and Wendy is there an A-ha thing going on with you??? If so great to see someone else with great taste!!

Last edited by Phil & Chele; Feb 10th 2007 at 7:35 am. Reason: adding note
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think OZ has such a large,generous immigration policy its to replace the tens of thousands of Aussies killed each year by the snakes and spiders in order to maintain the population level.

Originally Posted by Phil & Chele
Hi...

Oh and Wendy is there an A-ha thing going on with you??? If so great to see someone else with great taste!!

Yep, I am a hardcore A-ha fan, have been since 1984

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.