Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders are like buses..

Wikiposts

Spiders are like buses..

Old Apr 8th 2004, 4:28 pm
Badge

Default Spiders are like buses..

...you don't seen any, then they all come along at once *.

I have jealously been following the antics of Hevs spiders and bemoaning the fact I don't get any.

During the week, I was up at about 4am on my 'second' job when I walked back from the kitchen with a cup of coffee. There was a medium sized Huntsman on the wall by the door.

(I though Huntsman were taruntula sized before I came to Aus - they are big, but not that big.)

I gave it a whiff or two of Fly Spray which gave it a bit of a turn, then I flushed it down the toilet, before it could come back with a hit-up, or get a game plan together.

The next day I remembered I had bought some spider barrier spray a month or so ago, so I thought "righto" and I was around all the cracks, eves, and gaps around my house squirting it everywhere. Under windows, along the bottom of doors. Even a bit under my arms for good measure.

One bit involved half crawling in to a bush to gain access to my bedroom window.

I came back in, sat down, and after 10 mins felt something on the back of my neck. I got up and shook, and a little bugger dropped out from under my jacket.

He also went to meet his maker.

Last night I was watching my fav programme the NRL Footy Show from Sydney, when I glanced at the floor and saw a white-tail spider. They are very distinctive, by the way, quite long and pointy.

I gave him 2 rapid double taps with the fly spray and he rolled over and bought the farm. I left his body out for a few hours (I had a bit of a prod with it in case he was playing dead - when I first stood there he remained STOCK STILL) - as an example to his chums then he also got an early bath.

I thought "righto", let's see if there's any more. Sure enough, I opened the front door (I have more than one now!) and there was a dead spider on the door step - where
I'd had a good squirt of my barrier spray.

Badge

*The onset of cooler nights means they all want to snuggle up with Uncle Badge.

Last edited by badgersmount; Apr 8th 2004 at 4:31 pm.

Old Apr 8th 2004, 7:44 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Christ! For a minute there, I thought you meant that they were 40 foot long!