spiders

Old Jan 27th 2003, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]

Haven't seen any funnel webs yet (we are near Sydney) but I'm sure they are out there somewhere.
Mandy
Mandy, we had our first encounter with funnel webs on the weekend. Sunday night, having a BBQ out the back when we spotted one very close to the patio door (and just as close to my feet!). Then on Monday morning, after the heavy winds overnight, I spotted one at the bottom of the pool...prodded him with the pool net and yep, he was alive, clinging on to an air bubble. Both are now ex-funnel webs and we hope that will put off their pals from using our back yard as a breeding ground...
Old Jan 27th 2003, 10:33 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: spiders

Denhim,

It also depends a lot on your location. We live in suburban Melbourne, and hardly see any creepy crawlies. Not really any worse than the UK or Germany (where we lived for 4 years). Although we've only lived here for 4 months, anyone we ask usually know of a few stories, but haven't had much in the way of bad experiences themselves. Of course there's always going to be more wildlife the further you get out of suburbia - if you plan to live in the city in a 4th floor apartment, you're probably not going to see much at all.

I remember someone posting a message a few months back on the subject, that they were afraid of spiders before they went to Oz, but once they arrived they saw them so often it was commonplace. And eventually it became so routine that they lost their fear. I'm not sure if they had previously classified themselves as an arachnaphobiac though.

Good luck,
Paul.

Originally posted by denhim
i bet im not the only one on here who has arachnophobia. but for those of you living in australia, just how do you manage when you see them. i get the jitters just looking at pictures of them on the net as ive been trying to do a bit of research into the redback.
i know the huntsman is harmless but the size of the thing is enough to make a grown man scream like a little girl, ive not seen one for real but the photos are enough to know that they are big son of a b**ches.
anyone out there got any intersting stories about their encounters with these little or big 8 legged critters?
Old Jan 27th 2003, 11:34 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

I've lived in Sydney for 3 years in total and in that time I've only ever had 2 incidences with spiders. Both were huntsman's, so harmless but big enough to scare the living sh*t out of me! My wife got the second one with the Dyson, which worked well so we've got the drill worked out for next time.

Cockies are my worst nightmare. For those who are squeemish, please stop reading now as I have a very nasty tale.....

When living in Manly, Sydney, I once woke up with a huge cockroach actually on my mouth. He was sitting on my lips doing god knows what. I made a grap for it a bit too hard and squashed it a bit and the juice went.... Well I'll spare you a description of what a cockroach tastes like, but after half an hour of vomitting I vowed to kill each and every coackroach I ever see again until the day I die. And so it is. I see them, they die. We get our apartment sprayed every 3 months now and we have cockroach traps everywhere - in every cupcoard, in every draw, in every nook and cranny. It works well, no cockies for over 6 months now. I wish had'nt told that story again, I feel ill now....
Old Jan 28th 2003, 2:28 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

i bet im not the only one on here who has arachnophobia. but for those of you living in australia, just how do you manage when you see them. i get the jitters just looking at pictures of them on the net as ive been trying to do a bit of research into the redback.
i know the huntsman is harmless but the size of the thing is enough to make a grown man scream like a little girl, ive not seen one for real but the photos are enough to know that they are big son of a b**ches.
anyone out there got any intersting stories about their encounters with these little or big 8 legged critters?
I must be the only person here who quite likes spiders, aww don't squash them! .. Huntsmen spiders are not aggressive, they may look big and scary but they are good to have around to keep the pests down (I haven't got a cockroach prob with them around) , they prey on cockroaches and flies, moths etc. I had a resident Huntsman running around my walls for weeks a couple of weeks back... he was lovely, don't know where he has gone now.. he disappeared, perhaps one of my cats ate him!

Redbacks are pretty common, both houses which I have been living in in Brisbane had them around the outside of the door in-between the runner of the door and the house, and also along the garage door ... I just watch where I put my hands, these spiders I do kill usually by fly spray, or if not by a can of hairspray!
If bitten by one, no worries, you've got heaps of time to get to the hospital, it can take days for the venom to go through your blood stream... it's a very slow reacting venom. It's only the Females of this species which are dangerous.. the male is small and his fangs can't penetrate your skin the same way the female can.

Funnelwebs I've never encountered (we also have funnelwebs in QLD too which are dangerous) The Sydney funnel web (not sure about the other funnel webs) is the only spider that "they" recommend if you are bitten by one tourniquet the bitten limb, treat it like you would treat a snakebite, very dangerous, and get medical help pronto. Usually they will airlift you to the nearest hospital if bitten by a Sydney funnelweb... I think there has been deaths from this spider in as little as 20 minutes in some cases (usually young children, or old people).

P.S ... the wildlife centres do like people not to kill the spider (funnelweb) , just catch it for them and drop it in to the wildlife centres (in this case I think it's sydney zoo or something) for them to milk the spider for the precious antivenom, but saying that I wouldn't like to catch one, I'm not that mad.

cheers
Old Jan 28th 2003, 2:37 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Ceri,

You're not the only one. Neither myself or my wife kill spiders wherever possible, we just pick them up on paper or in a container and put them out the back garden. The only bugs we kill are flies/mozzies when they get indoors, or ants if they start to get into the house. haven't found any real nasties yet, at least I think not, we're not that knowledgable yet. Not sure what we'd do if we recognized a Redback or WhiteTail, maybe get the Dyson out...

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by Ceri
I must be the only person here who quite likes spiders, aww don't squash them! ..
Old Jan 28th 2003, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
we've had lots of encounters with Cock roaches. The house we are renting, the previous tennants didn't clean or take out the rubbish for 3 years so it was pretty infested. They are mostly gone now but you still get the odd one or two! As for spiders, my son left his trainers outside, he was just about to put them on when I said, no I'd better check first, just as I banged it out a red back jumped out, after showing the kids it got squashed! There was another one living in our storm drain grill which I discovered after picking it up to clean the drain, after that encounter I always wear gloves when gardening or doing anything like that! We have these plug in insect repellents where they send a signal round the wiring that is supposed to affect the insects nervous system and send them running. Since plugging this in we have killed 3 white tails indoors! But we haven't seen any since so we are hoping they were just trying to vacate!

Haven't seen any funnel webs yet (we are near Sydney) but I'm sure they are out there somewhere. As for snakes, haven't seen any at all not even on our bush walks. Seen lots of lizards though.

I don't mind spiders so much, they are easy to squash. The cockroaches on the other hand have a knack of seeing you and running before you can get them!

Mandy

And you all want to go to Australia WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 13th 2003, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Mumto4
PS:

Watch out for bush ticks in long grassy areas - they can make you very ill if you get bit by one. Also your pets (dogs) need to be treated for ticks every few months as if they get bit it can paralyse them.
UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!
My husband had one stuck in his back and I could see its back legs crawling and the inside was burrowed inside! My friend quickly burnt it with a lighter and pulled it out. Apparently, if you try to pull them out with our burning them first they get stuck inside and it can be dangerous!

I don't smoke but I shall carry my lighter next time!!
Debs
Old Sep 13th 2003, 10:00 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spiders are great

We tend to get St Andrews Cross spiders in our unit. We had a huntsman but it left us. I like them as they eat the few flies that live around here.

Cockies are a nightmare. They live in the warmth of the electrical equipment. Their favourite places are the video recorder and the fridge compressor. I kill 2 or 3 biggies a day. I think a neighbour is feeding them.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Great postings. Added it to my favorite box. My kids cant wait - pet Cockroach, pet huntsman, pet redback, pet snakes..........
Old Sep 13th 2003, 11:24 pm
creepycrawlycreepycrawly!

mr2blue is an unknown quantity at this point

I once knew a girl who swallowed a spider,it wriggled and tickled and wriggled inside her.Apparently she swallowed the spider to catch a fly.I cant believe someone would do such a thing,mind you theres some nutters out there:scared:
Old Sep 14th 2003, 12:25 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I would not worry too much. The key thing is to be aware of the risks - check shoes etc. Also don't go picking up things by putting your hands where you cannot see. I have been 2 years in Qld - mainly living close to bushland. The only definitely dangerous spider I have seen was a dead redback in Bundaberg.
We have a lot of huntsmen and also some large spiders that throw webs up in the yard at dusk. I leave those be as they eat mossies, I just try not to walk into the webs if I go out in the dark. I have had a large huntsman suddenly appear on the inside of my windscreen while driving - I stopped pretty smartly and asked it to leave. I don't think you can stop them getting in the cars - they are usually big enough to open the doors for themselves

As for snakes - I have seen one red bellied black here. It seemed more scared of me than I was of it. I just look where am treading or putting my hands - especialy when I am in rough bush or under the house etc.
Cheers,
DagBoy
Old Sep 14th 2003, 12:29 am

You are more likely to drown or get killed in a car accident than die from a beastie.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 12:29 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jacqui
Don't forget the chances of being involved in a car accident are very much higher than being killed by a spider or snake (sorry not that reassuring I know!)
Of course, most accidents are caused by giant spiders dropping on your lap from behind the sun visor
Old Sep 14th 2003, 3:52 am

Don't forget the saltwater crocs walking the high street.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 4:03 am
Semper Vigilante

ButtonMoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Like they say..it's not the people here you need to worry about..it's the animals.
You really need to get your head around spiders.
The huntsman is realy a friendly old sole.They only have a life span of 2-3 weeks and they're more concerned about shagging , eating moths and flies than harming people.Huntsmen usually just sit on the wall so they're pretty obvious.DON'T squash them.
They're real fast and that will scare you shitless if they get away.Use a jam jar and throw them outside.They make a real mess when you squish them as well.If you do get nipped them they are not venemous.An ice pack and some antiseptic cream should do you
There was a recent study done about the white-tail, which i noticed none of you guys mentioned.
The white tail , a black spider about an inch long with a white dot on it's tail, was considered responsible for injecting a flesh eating venom.The venom could cause gangrene.
The new study however suggest that the poor old white tail is not responsible..the scary thing is , what is then ?
White tails don't make webs, they are scavengers and eat other spiders and food scraps.Squash these anyway.If you do get bit apply ice and if problems occur, see the doc.Not all white tails are venemous.
A good idea to prevent problems is not to leave clothes on the floor and check the bed before hopping in.If you have carpets, choose light colours.I was in the country recently in a hotel and i pulled back the sheets to find a red-back curled up in the bed.
The worst spider is of course the funnel web but they are only active outside during certain times of the year, usually when they're roaming around looking for mates. They live on the eastern seaboard south of sydney, up to Brisbane and beyond.
They will kill you if you don't get anti-vene but you will know when you get bit because I believe it's bloody excruciating.
And the snakes, box jelly fish sharks and....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.