Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spending money on Bull bars..(!) or not..

Spending money on Bull bars..(!) or not..

Old Oct 3rd 2005, 8:37 am
Badge

Default Re: Spending money on Bull bars..(!) or not..

Originally Posted by JerrySpringer
Well,well,well, you forgot the motorcyclists and cyclists, those other vunerable road user who -surprise surprise - you will find using the road without the supervision of their parents.

If you think children who wander into the road are the only ones at risk of being killed then you are sadly mistaken and should really open your eyes to who else you have to share the road with.

And you really should look into the causes of pedestrian accidents - you will be surprised at how many are killed on the pavement, or how many are killed by out-of-control vehicles, vehicles jumping red lights, and so on. In fact, what makes you think that if you hit a pedestrian or motorcyclist or cyclist you are automatically blameless? You seem to forget that drivers can act as inappropriately as anyone else on the road/pavement. And Badge has already said he likes to drive fast, but with poor visibility......what else can we say apart from 'stupid'.
Hitting someone who steps out in front of you or runs out when you are driving conscientiously makes you pretty much blameless Mr Springer. It's called an accident. Just like when you fall over the couch watching your favourite show watching all the morons who try to blame someone else tell Mr Springer. Actually, I'll make an attempt to be serious - its a serious business.

When I say quick, I mean up to the posted limit. ie quicker than a snail's pace. It would be BETTER if I had even better visibility so I can spot the child running out in to the road at 3am in the morning LONG before I get there - or spot the roo.

Next you will be telling me that fire trucks and ambos should not drive fast, or not use bull bars. We have special training for that - it is called Code 1. I have not put myself forward for the course because I wish to gain more experience first with Code 3- I am williing to operate within my limits. Sometimes we have to manage risk to go about our lives otherwise noone would ever get anything done.

I said nothing about driving fast, I said I am going quite quick. A 1 tonne vehicle doing 60k causes damage, bull bar or no bull bar. My ute stuggles to get up the hill, a firefighter often has to wait behind me as I refuse to go fast.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Oct 3rd 2005 at 8:43 am.

Old Oct 3rd 2005, 8:58 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Gday

Just been to that HUGE camping shop in Slacks Creek / Springwood, Moss St .

They sell a mounting bracket that goes on ya bumper and houses your FLOODLIGHTS !!

70 bucks, how cools that, and its shiny alloy steely stuff too lol
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 9:06 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Well,well,well, you forgot the motorcyclists and cyclists, those other vunerable road user who -surprise surprise - you will find using the road without the supervision of their parents.

If you think children who wander into the road are the only ones at risk of being killed then you are sadly mistaken and should really open your eyes to who else you have to share the road with.

And you really should look into the causes of pedestrian accidents - you will be surprised at how many are killed on the pavement, or how many are killed by out-of-control vehicles, vehicles jumping red lights, and so on. In fact, what makes you think that if you hit a pedestrian or motorcyclist or cyclist you are automatically blameless? You seem to forget that drivers can act as inappropriately as anyone else on the road/pavement. And Badge has already said he likes to drive fast, but with poor visibility......what else can we say apart from 'stupid'.
I didn't forget I just didn't want to type the far end of a fart in response to a simple post, your quote even included the bit where I stated that
Had our previous Ute not been fitted with a roo bar my wife would have been minus one or both of her legs, as it was she was trapped by the engine coming through the bulkhead a scary enough experience to warrant her insistence for both roo bars and airbags.
Sorry we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one as my priorities are protecting my family and myself not a geriatric old lady that shouldn't have been on the road in the first place or indeed a stray roo.
I stand by my comments that a roo bar is essential for the area that I personally live in
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

JerrySpringer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
Hitting someone who steps out in front of you or runs out when you are driving conscientiously makes you pretty much blameless Mr Springer. It's called an accident.
Absolutely agree. The post I was responding too implied that all pedestrian accidents concerned unsupervised children running into the road, which is factually incorrect.

When I say quick, I mean up to the posted limit.
Driving at the limit does not guarantee safety or blamelessness. Better to adjust your speed according to conditions. Visibilty is a factor to be considered.

Next you will be telling me that fire trucks and ambos should not drive fast, or not use bull bars. We have special training for that - it is called Code 1. I have not put myself forward for the course because I wish to gain more experience first with Code 3- I am williing to operate within my limits. Sometimes we have to manage risk to go about our lives otherwise noone would ever get anything done.
No, roo bars are definately a bonus in rural areas. As you say tho - risk mitigation is key. ANd whilst you're mitigating YOUR risks regarding driving in rural areas, you also need to do likewise for others with regard to driving round urban Melbourne. Call it consideration perhaps. And besides, your original post was a requirement for roo bars to mount your lights on, not deflect waywward kangaroos. If you just want something to mount your lights on, try plastic moulded bars or roof mountings.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 9:18 am
Badge

Absolutely agree. The post I was responding too implied that all pedestrian accidents concerned unsupervised children running into the road, which is factually incorrect.

Driving at the limit does not guarantee safety or blamelessness. Better to adjust your speed according to conditions. Visibilty is a factor to be considered.

No, roo bars are definately a bonus in rural areas. As you say tho - risk mitigation is key. ANd whilst you're mitigating YOUR risks regarding driving in rural areas, you also need to do likewise for others with regard to driving round urban Melbourne. Call it consideration perhaps. And besides, your original post was a requirement for roo bars to mount your lights on, not deflect waywward kangaroos. If you just want something to mount your lights on, try plastic moulded bars or roof mountings.
So we agree then

I implied that the use of a bullbar could, in fact, serve more than one purpose - hence the consideration - it is only for the dual use that I am warming to the idea. I might have otherwise not be able to justify the cost. I like killing 2 birds with 1 stone - or a bullbar :scared:

Roof mounitngs could be too high or illegal, other methods are not strong enough or high enough. My original intention was to mount on a 30 buck bar but the lights were too low. Right I'm off to the station - safely.

badge

Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:11 am
Just Joined

thebookbloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would you get a 'roo bar?

You'll kill the 'roo and save your duco for sure. You'll kill any pedestrian you hit as well .

You're also kill yourself if you hit something really solid - like a tree or another car. Bars inhibit the way the vehicle collapses so you get much more of the shock.

Bet the bloke selling the bars didn't tell you that!

Bull bars are bullshit. Get a set of ultrasonic thingies from K-Mart for 10 to 15 bucks. They'll prevent most things running in front of you.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 9:51 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebookbloke
Why would you get a 'roo bar?

You're also kill yourself if you hit something really solid - like a tree or another car. Bars inhibit the way the vehicle collapses so you get much more of the shock.
After our Ute was written off in a recent accident the accident investigator confirmed that had it not been fitted with a bar my wife would have lost one or both of her legs. Your right they do affect the way a car crumples though as a Ute has a chassis the engine invairiably comes through the bulkhead in a head on and traps the occupants. Having seen someone die a terrible death trapped by the legs in a burning car I think I'll stick to my roo and child killing bars thanks.

By the way it's strange how this thread is attracting a number of people posting for the only the first or second time. A more cynical seasoned forum user may think they are the trolling type of multiple user name posters, so these will be my final words on the topic
Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Spending money on Bull bars..(!) or not..

If you buy the bullbars, don't forget the detatchable barbeque option. You just unclip it and place it on the barbie, with all of your roadkill still 'attached'. If you live in the country you won't ever need to buy meat again.

If the insects and grit on the roadkill are a problem, point your headlamp washers at the bullbars. A couple of squirts and you have fresh clean meat for the barbie.

I think it is made by ACME........
Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:43 am
Badge

Originally Posted by cresta57
After our Ute was written off in a recent accident the accident investigator confirmed that had it not been fitted with a bar my wife would have lost one or both of her legs. Your right they do affect the way a car crumples though as a Ute has a chassis the engine invairiably comes through the bulkhead in a head on and traps the occupants. Having seen someone die a terrible death trapped by the legs in a burning car I think I'll stick to my roo and child killing bars thanks.

By the way it's strange how this thread is attracting a number of people posting for the only the first or second time. A more cynical seasoned forum user may think they are the trolling type of multiple user name posters, so these will be my final words on the topic
I've been doing some research, the only 'remarkable' info I happened on was : some vehicles actually have a chassis which on a front on pushes 2 prongs of it in to the vehicle it collides with - a bar actually helps dissipate some of it.

I still can't understand all this hoo har - hit someone with a truck, a 4x4 or a big ute at speed and its still Good Night Vienna up to a point. I can understand that with a car, a bloke might bounce up over the bonnet.

Badge