Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding fines being reduced in NSW

Speeding fines being reduced in NSW

Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:45 am
ABCDiamond

Default Speeding fines being reduced in NSW

Changes in New South Wales Speeding fines:

The old rule was 0-15 kilometres above the speed limit and you were fined $130 (plus 1 point I think), but that is being changed to being fined $75, and three driver demerit points.

The info from http://seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=19090 also says:

In Victoria, driving up to ten kilometres above the limit, the fine was $102.25 and one demerit point.

Queensland registers the first offence up to 13 kilometres above the limit. The fine was $100 and the loss of one point.

South Australia was by far the most expensive, $144 for speeding and an extra $10 paid into the victims of crime levy and one demerit point.

While in Western Australia, it was up to nine kilometres above the limit, a fine of just $50 and loss of no points.

Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:55 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding fines being reduced in NSW

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Changes in New South Wales Speeding fines:

The old rule was 0-15 kilometres above the speed limit and you were fined $130 (plus 1 point I think), but that is being changed to being fined $75, and three driver demerit points.

The info from http://seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=19090 also says:

In Victoria, driving up to ten kilometres above the limit, the fine was $102.25 and one demerit point.

Queensland registers the first offence up to 13 kilometres above the limit. The fine was $100 and the loss of one point.

South Australia was by far the most expensive, $144 for speeding and an extra $10 paid into the victims of crime levy and one demerit point.

While in Western Australia, it was up to nine kilometres above the limit, a fine of just $50 and loss of no points.
i saw this in the paper today, but didnt read. i just thought, it doesnt matter how much the fine is. if u get caught you will need to pay it anyway
Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by soapy
i saw this in the paper today, but didnt read. i just thought, it doesnt matter how much the fine is. if u get caught you will need to pay it anyway
The main difference is:

OLD RULE:
Get caught 11 times, and you still have one more chance before losing your licence. 12 times and you lose the licence with a total of $1,560 in fines.

NEW RULE
Get caught 4 times and you lose the licence, but only $300 in fines.

Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:06 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

The main difference is:

OLD RULE:
Get caught 11 times, and you still have one more chance before losing your licence. 12 times and you lose the licence with a total of $1,560 in fines.

NEW RULE

ah, maybe i should have read it then
Old Feb 16th 2005, 11:27 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

The main difference is:

OLD RULE:

NEW RULE

It's a sneaky plan to raise more revenue.

He said (tongue in cheek)
Alistair
Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
It's a sneaky plan to raise more revenue.

He said (tongue in cheek)
Alistair
Actually I think they will lose revenue. They used to be able to get $1,560 out of a driver before they banned them, now they only get $300 !!

Surely they haven't been listening to the complaints about "revenue raising" and now done something about it !!
But it does look like that way... Instead of just keeping on fining them, they are going to kick them off the road ! Athough some will obviously keep driving without a licence, and the fines for that offence are much higher

Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

More nanny state bullsh*t.