British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Speeding fine but no points given? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/speeding-fine-but-no-points-given-659255/)

BAY Mar 16th 2010 5:19 am

Re: Speeding fine but no points given?

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 8418422)
Hi guys, just asking on behalf of a friend. Wondering if its possible to get a fine for speeding but for the law to not give you points.

My mate got nicked last night, more than 30 k's over the limit.
Copper gave him a ticket with a 466 dollar fine but no mention of points.

Is that possible?

J

You were lucky you weren't in WA.

My wife has just been fined $700 (yes $700 !! :eek:) for going 100kph in a 70kph area and 6 points. According to work collegues we were lucky not to get the car confiscated under the new hoon laws.

ozhappy981 Mar 16th 2010 6:20 am

Originally Posted by BAY (Post 8422937)
You were lucky you weren't in WA.

My wife has just been fined $700 (yes $700 !! :eek:) for going 100kph in a 70kph area and 6 points. According to work collegues we were lucky not to get the car confiscated under the new hoon laws.

Eh???? :confused: I don't think this is something to be proud of ....

Maybe she should go on a remedial driving course?

BAY Mar 16th 2010 7:33 am

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 (Post 8423020)
Eh???? :confused: I don't think this is something to be proud of ....

Maybe she should go on a remedial driving course?

Nobody is proud of it , what makes you think my wife or I are ? :confused: :rolleyes: My wife is a safe and competent driver.

Beedubya Mar 16th 2010 7:34 am

Originally Posted by wortho (Post 8422062)
Not sure about Vic but in NSW you can appeal if your first speeding offence in 10 years. A mate at work did this & they let him off.
http://www.sdro.nsw.gov.au/your_opti..._leniency.html

I had my first speeding fine after 20 years of a clean licence and it didn't work for me and I was only doing less than 10 k's over, I got caught on a speed camera and I don't even remember it happenening. It's worth a try if you get lucky.

copa Mar 16th 2010 9:48 am

These driving threads can be funny .... they often end up full of people saying how Aussies are far worse at driving ... and on the other side they are also full of people complaining they've never been so punished for bad driving before in their life until they drove in Oz.

copa Mar 16th 2010 9:52 am

Originally Posted by BAY (Post 8423109)
Nobody is proud of it , what makes you think my wife or I are ? :confused: :rolleyes: My wife is a safe and competent driver.

except when she is doing 100 in a 70 zone?

Loch Lomond Mar 16th 2010 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 8419023)
Why do you have double demerit point days for the day BEFORE a holiday and the day AFTER as well as the actual day itself?

It's simply a revenue raiser, that's all and it doesn't apply in all states.

So is it unfair? Yes!

I don't think the fines increase only the demerit points, so not necessarily a revenue raiser.....unless of course the points are enough to suspend your licence, and you continue to drive.

Originally Posted by copa (Post 8423376)
These driving threads can be funny .... they often end up full of people saying how Aussies are far worse at driving ... and on the other side they are also full of people complaining they've never been so punished for bad driving before in their life until they drove in Oz.

Well done, you've hit the nail right on the head here. Driving in Australia is far worse than most other places (I'm thinking Egypt and mainland China are the only worse places I've been to), the standard is diabolical. Tailgating, no indicating, no road courtesy...need I go on. Australians have been brainwashed into believing that if you exceed any speed limit you are irresponsible and WILL kill someone, therfore as long as you stay under the speed limit your driving standard doesn't matter because you are now a safe driver. Even the standard of vehicles on the road is poor, the number of deathtraps (affectionately known as "old bombs") I see daily is ridiculous.
The reason new immigrants from the UK end up getting fined so heavily when they first arrive, is they use a normal driving standard without realising that driving is so heavily restricted in Australia, with the most stupidly slow speed limits which are relentlesly enforced (in some cases given priority over other policing - as I was advised by my wifes friend who is a WAPOL)

moneypenny20 Mar 16th 2010 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by BAY (Post 8423109)
My wife is a safe and competent driver.

Originally Posted by BAY (Post 8422937)
for going 100kph in a 70kph area and 6 points. .

Err, no she's not. Well I guess she could be competent but safe? Possibly not.

copa Mar 16th 2010 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond (Post 8423597)
Well done, you've hit the nail right on the head here. Driving in Australia is far worse than most other places (I'm thinking Egypt and mainland China are the only worse places I've been to), the standard is diabolical. Tailgating, no indicating, no road courtesy...need I go on. Australians have been brainwashed into believing that if you exceed any speed limit you are irresponsible and WILL kill someone, therfore as long as you stay under the speed limit your driving standard doesn't matter because you are now a safe driver. Even the standard of vehicles on the road is poor, the number of deathtraps (affectionately known as "old bombs") I see daily is ridiculous.
The reason new immigrants from the UK end up getting fined so heavily when they first arrive, is they use a normal driving standard without realising that driving is so heavily restricted in Australia, with the most stupidly slow speed limits which are relentlesly enforced (in some cases given priority over other policing - as I was advised by my wifes friend who is a WAPOL)

So a "normal driving standard" means casually breaking the driving laws by ignoring speed limits??

lol... maybe some people find it hard to accept they aren't particularly good at following certain road rules ... blame the police and not the driver eh?

If they refuse to follow the rules they will be fined into submission.. it's only a matter of time.

I don't know a single person who has been "brainwashed" the way you describe.

jazzys Mar 16th 2010 10:27 pm

Is it just the british who find driving standards here to be awful, or do the australians actually recognise the problem?

And if so, who do they blame? Probably the asians i suspect.

Jazzys

DadAgain Mar 16th 2010 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 8425320)
Is it just the british who find driving standards here to be awful, or do the australians actually recognise the problem?

Jazzys

My experience is that Australians who travel and drive in Europe for any significant time are stunned by the quality of driving and shocked on return to Australia by how bad things are.

Having said that I've also heard many a tale from Australian travellers returning from London telling of crazy lunatic drivers...

For the OP - Your 6 points will be allocated when you pay the fine. The overpayment by cheque myth for avoidance does not work (it may have at some point in the past - but it certaiunly doesnt now). If these 6 points take you over the 12 then when you pay you will be presented with a choice of a 3 month surrendering of your licence or a 12 month probationary 'good behaviuour' period where you need to go without any infringements.

For any recently arrived UK driver I'd suggest that the 3 month ban is FAR more managable since driving for an ENTIRE year without passing a camera is very unlikely- so its better to take the bus for 3 months and get a nice clean licence afterwards than get done again and face a full 12 month ban.

(Yes I know its theoretically possible to drive for 12 months without passing a camera whilst breaking the speed limit - but if you've racked up 12 points in a short time theres a good chance you havent yet 'acclimatised' to Australian tortoise like road conditions and will 'slip' again before your year is complete)

ABCDiamond Mar 16th 2010 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 8425320)

Jazzys

Here in QLD they blame all the NSW drivers who have moved up here over the years. :lol:

Back in 2000 the driving here was reasonably OK, but it is now much worse.

ABCDiamond Mar 16th 2010 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by wortho (Post 8422062)
Not sure about Vic but in NSW you can appeal if your first speeding offence in 10 years. A mate at work did this & they let him off.
http://www.sdro.nsw.gov.au/your_opti..._leniency.html

I'll confirm that for NSW. Some appeals do work, for low excess speed offences.

ABCDiamond Mar 16th 2010 10:45 pm

For those who have yet to experience the cost of speeding....

2010 Penalties for speeding in Qld
Less than 13 km/h over the limit: $133 + one point.
13 to 20 km/h over the limit: $200 + three points.
21 to 30 km/h over the limit: $333 + four points.
31 to 40 km/h over the limit: $466 + six points.
More than 40 km/h over the limit: $933 + eight points and six month suspension.

jazzys Mar 16th 2010 11:28 pm

Hi guys, just to keep things clear. I am the OP, but it wasn't me who got nicked, it was a friend. Honest :D

I'm being very careful these days as i only have 2 points left. Had a little chuckle and shake of the head yesterday though when i saw a copper hiding behind a bus stop with his radar.

Jazzys