British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Speeding fine but no points given? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/speeding-fine-but-no-points-given-659255/)

jazzys Mar 14th 2010 8:17 am

Speeding fine but no points given?

Hi guys, just asking on behalf of a friend. Wondering if its possible to get a fine for speeding but for the law to not give you points.

My mate got nicked last night, more than 30 k's over the limit.
Copper gave him a ticket with a 466 dollar fine but no mention of points.

Is that possible?

J

Beedubya Mar 14th 2010 8:24 am

Re: Speeding fine but no points given?

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 8418422)
Hi guys, just asking on behalf of a friend. Wondering if its possible to get a fine for speeding but for the law to not give you points.

Is that possible?

J

I have been done for speeding twice, both caught on speed camera's. Only a few k's over the limit. My fine was nothing like your mates, but I did lose points both times. :thumbdown:

breezeboylan Mar 14th 2010 8:28 am

Is that possible?

J

I've lost track of the amount of speeding fines my OH has had since we got here but no points on his licence.

Tracie

Beedubya Mar 14th 2010 8:33 am

Originally Posted by breezeboylan (Post 8418439)
I've lost track of the amount of speeding fines my OH has had since we got here but no points on his licence.

Tracie

Maybe it's a state by state thing? I see you are in WA, I was in NSW.

Just remembered one Easter my friend got done for having no seat belt on (it crushes her clothes don't ya know! :o), she got a hefty fine and double demerit points!

breezeboylan Mar 14th 2010 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 8418446)

Just remembered one Easter my friend got done for having no seat belt on (it crushes her clothes don't ya know! :o), she got a hefty fine and double demerit points!

It must be a state thing. OH has been done on speed cameras (first you know is when it comes in the post) and by the copper on the side of the street pulling him over. Always ends with a fine though no where near as much as the OP's fine!

Tracie

cresta57 Mar 14th 2010 8:48 am

Is that possible?

J

+30k over the designated limit is worth 6 points & $466 . They go on your licence automatically when you either pay or are dealt with by the court. It's up to you to determine if your banned via the totting up procedure, Qld police will not inform you.
You have to apply for a driving history check if your not sure, there is a fee:(

There's a box on the orange slip the police give you that will usually state the number of points

jazzys Mar 14th 2010 9:01 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 8418466)
+30k over the designated limit is worth 6 points & $466 . They go on your licence automatically when you either pay or are dealt with by the court. It's up to you to determine if your banned via the totting up procedure, Qld police will not inform you.
You have to apply for a driving history check if your not sure, there is a fee:(

There's a box on the orange slip the police give you that will usually state the number of points

so when he goes to pay his fine they won't say a word to him even if the 6 points put him over the 12 allowed?

J

Beedubya Mar 14th 2010 9:06 am

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 8418497)
so when he goes to pay his fine they won't say a word to him even if the 6 points put him over the 12 allowed?

J

For NSW you can look it up on the Internet. I've been back in England for a year and I can't even remember what it's called. Is it the Motor Registry??? I remember the young guys at work were always checking to see how many points they had left.......

cresta57 Mar 14th 2010 10:17 am

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 8418497)

J

They [qld police] don't have to inform "him" The onus is on the motorist.Have a look on the Qld transport web site. Here

What happens often is that you reach the twelve points via a 6 point offense, you pay the fine & the points are deemed to have been added on the day of the offense. If you reach 9 points they do send you a letter "Accumulation of Demerit Points" The trouble is there is a delay between the points going on & the letter arriving, during that time you can be driving unlicenced due to the totting up. That responsibility is upon you to make sure that doesn't happen. For that reason you can apply for a driving history check.

The Bloke Mar 14th 2010 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 8418446)

Most states now employ a double demerit point system over public holiday periods, which extends before and after the actual public holiday.

Beedubya Mar 14th 2010 10:37 am

Originally Posted by The Bloke (Post 8418663)
Most states now employ a double demerit point system over public holiday periods, which extends before and after the actual public holiday.

Yes and quite unfairly at times, you have a 1 day public holiday and double demerit days either side............

jazzys Mar 14th 2010 10:40 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 8418643)
They [qld police] don't have to inform "him" The onus is on the motorist.Have a look on the Qld transport web site. Here

What happens often is that you reach the twelve points via a 6 point offense, you pay the fine & the points are deemed to have been added on the day of the offense. If you reach 9 points they do send you a letter "Accumulation of Demerit Points" The trouble is there is a delay between the points going on & the letter arriving, during that time you can be driving unlicenced due to the totting up. That responsibility is upon you to make sure that doesn't happen. For that reason you can apply for a driving history check.

I have ten points and i never recieved a letter telling me i'd gone over 9

J

cresta57 Mar 14th 2010 10:57 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 8418689)
I have ten points and i never recieved a letter telling me i'd gone over 9

J

Have you moved since you accrued points?
I got this:

jazzys Mar 14th 2010 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 8418719)
Have you moved since you accrued points?
I got this:

Actually, seeing your letter, i think i did get something like that.

So whats the verdict guys, is it possible to get the fine and not the points?
Can the copper at the roadside make that decision?

Jazzys

moneypenny20 Mar 14th 2010 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 8418681)
Yes and quite unfairly at times, you have a 1 day public holiday and double demerit days either side............

Unfair? Oh for heavens sake.:rolleyes:

Beedubya Mar 14th 2010 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8418895)
Unfair? Oh for heavens sake.:rolleyes:

Why do you have double demerit point days for the day BEFORE a holiday and the day AFTER as well as the actual day itself?

It's simply a revenue raiser, that's all and it doesn't apply in all states.

So is it unfair? Yes!

Siren & Brian Mar 14th 2010 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 8419023)
Why do you have double demerit point days for the day BEFORE a holiday and the day AFTER as well as the actual day itself?

So is it unfair? Yes!

Because people go away for the long weekend and may leave on the Thursday night or Friday and come back Monday or Tuesday morning.

Beedubya Mar 14th 2010 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian (Post 8419349)
Because people go away for the long weekend and may leave on the Thursday night or Friday and come back Monday or Tuesday morning.

But the rule doesn't apply in all states. Why some and not others? And of course I know about the different laws in different states and so on.........it just seems like an unequal law...........

JMO

copa Mar 15th 2010 2:52 am

Originally Posted by breezeboylan (Post 8418439)

Tracie

if he has no points left he is potentially in a lot of trouble... lol

jazzys Mar 15th 2010 4:07 am

Originally Posted by copa (Post 8420090)
if he has no points left he is potentially in a lot of trouble... lol

He definately had some left but i think this is a 6 pointer and that will take him past the magic number of 12

Jazzys

cresta57 Mar 15th 2010 4:38 am

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 8420176)
He definately had some left but i think this is a 6 pointer and that will take him past the magic number of 12

Jazzys

As soon as the fine is paid or he goes to court to settle the matter the points are deemed to have been added on the day the offense occurred. If it amounts to more than 12 you have a choice of one point back for a year i.e your on 11 points for a year or you do a 3 month ban. It's a choice of a kick in the balls or a kick in the head but it will eventually slow you down or cost you loads of cash.

moneypenny20 Mar 15th 2010 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 8419411)
But the rule doesn't apply in all states. Why some and not others? And of course I know about the different laws in different states and so on.........it just seems like an unequal law...........

JMO

It's not a problem if you don't speed. :sneaky:

The Bloke Mar 15th 2010 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 8418681)

As I said it is for the public holiday period, which the police usually have a blitz campaign for a few days either side, when most of the travelling public is on the road. Most holiday incidents/crashes/ fatalities etc, happen either side of the gazetted public holiday for that reason. Very few people will travel on a public holiday. Christmas is the worst time of year for this as there are more vehicles on the road during the school break than other public holiday times.
I for one don't have a problem with the concept.

The Bloke Mar 15th 2010 8:40 am

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 8420176)

Jazzys

He'll know for sure if he gets a "show cause" letter.

The Bloke Mar 15th 2010 8:41 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8420400)
It's not a problem if you don't speed. :sneaky:

:thumbup: Here, here!!!

wortho Mar 15th 2010 10:33 am

With the new combined redlight/speed camera's you can lose your licence in one go on double demerit days 6 points for each.
I must admit to hitting the gas when the light turns amber rather than hit the brakes hard, now they get you anyway even if you make the light! :(

Gina123 Mar 15th 2010 10:44 am

Im ashamed to say that I got a letter through the post today (Im in Vic) I was caught doing 81 k in a 70 area - I got $234 fine and 3 demerit points.

My OH has been caught twice doing a few Ks over the speed limit and got a lesser fine and 1 point each time. So here in Vic in our experience points come with the fine and more points are demerited according to how much over the speed limit you are.

Toe Dipper Mar 15th 2010 11:08 am

I don't know if this works, but a savvy young lad at my work ( in Qld), who seems to know many tricks of the police (wonder why?) told me that the demerit points are awarded once the fine account is settled.

So he recommended over paying the fine by say $5. They then send you a cheque back for the overpayment. Don't cash it, so the account isn't settled and hence the points don't kick in.

I am currently in the process of testing this theory, purely for scientific reasons you understand.;)

TD

wortho Mar 15th 2010 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Gina123 (Post 8420785)
Im ashamed to say that I got a letter through the post today (Im in Vic) I was caught doing 81 k in a 70 area - I got $234 fine and 3 demerit points.

My OH has been caught twice doing a few Ks over the speed limit and got a lesser fine and 1 point each time. So here in Vic in our experience points come with the fine and more points are demerited according to how much over the speed limit you are.

Not sure about Vic but in NSW you can appeal if your first speeding offence in 10 years. A mate at work did this & they let him off.
http://www.sdro.nsw.gov.au/your_opti..._leniency.html

Gina123 Mar 15th 2010 10:35 pm

Thanks Wortho, Ive never had a speeding ticket before so Im gonna look into it.

Gina :)

BAY Mar 16th 2010 5:19 am

Is that possible?

J

You were lucky you weren't in WA.

My wife has just been fined $700 (yes $700 !! :eek:) for going 100kph in a 70kph area and 6 points. According to work collegues we were lucky not to get the car confiscated under the new hoon laws.

ozhappy981 Mar 16th 2010 6:20 am

Originally Posted by BAY (Post 8422937)
You were lucky you weren't in WA.

My wife has just been fined $700 (yes $700 !! :eek:) for going 100kph in a 70kph area and 6 points. According to work collegues we were lucky not to get the car confiscated under the new hoon laws.

Eh???? :confused: I don't think this is something to be proud of ....

Maybe she should go on a remedial driving course?

BAY Mar 16th 2010 7:33 am

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 (Post 8423020)
Eh???? :confused: I don't think this is something to be proud of ....

Maybe she should go on a remedial driving course?

Nobody is proud of it , what makes you think my wife or I are ? :confused: :rolleyes: My wife is a safe and competent driver.

Beedubya Mar 16th 2010 7:34 am

Originally Posted by wortho (Post 8422062)
Not sure about Vic but in NSW you can appeal if your first speeding offence in 10 years. A mate at work did this & they let him off.
http://www.sdro.nsw.gov.au/your_opti..._leniency.html

I had my first speeding fine after 20 years of a clean licence and it didn't work for me and I was only doing less than 10 k's over, I got caught on a speed camera and I don't even remember it happenening. It's worth a try if you get lucky.

copa Mar 16th 2010 9:48 am

These driving threads can be funny .... they often end up full of people saying how Aussies are far worse at driving ... and on the other side they are also full of people complaining they've never been so punished for bad driving before in their life until they drove in Oz.

copa Mar 16th 2010 9:52 am

Originally Posted by BAY (Post 8423109)
Nobody is proud of it , what makes you think my wife or I are ? :confused: :rolleyes: My wife is a safe and competent driver.

except when she is doing 100 in a 70 zone?

Loch Lomond Mar 16th 2010 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 8419023)

So is it unfair? Yes!

I don't think the fines increase only the demerit points, so not necessarily a revenue raiser.....unless of course the points are enough to suspend your licence, and you continue to drive.

Originally Posted by copa (Post 8423376)
These driving threads can be funny .... they often end up full of people saying how Aussies are far worse at driving ... and on the other side they are also full of people complaining they've never been so punished for bad driving before in their life until they drove in Oz.

Well done, you've hit the nail right on the head here. Driving in Australia is far worse than most other places (I'm thinking Egypt and mainland China are the only worse places I've been to), the standard is diabolical. Tailgating, no indicating, no road courtesy...need I go on. Australians have been brainwashed into believing that if you exceed any speed limit you are irresponsible and WILL kill someone, therfore as long as you stay under the speed limit your driving standard doesn't matter because you are now a safe driver. Even the standard of vehicles on the road is poor, the number of deathtraps (affectionately known as "old bombs") I see daily is ridiculous.
The reason new immigrants from the UK end up getting fined so heavily when they first arrive, is they use a normal driving standard without realising that driving is so heavily restricted in Australia, with the most stupidly slow speed limits which are relentlesly enforced (in some cases given priority over other policing - as I was advised by my wifes friend who is a WAPOL)

moneypenny20 Mar 16th 2010 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by BAY (Post 8423109)
My wife is a safe and competent driver.

Originally Posted by BAY (Post 8422937)
for going 100kph in a 70kph area and 6 points. .

Err, no she's not. Well I guess she could be competent but safe? Possibly not.

copa Mar 16th 2010 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond (Post 8423597)
Well done, you've hit the nail right on the head here. Driving in Australia is far worse than most other places (I'm thinking Egypt and mainland China are the only worse places I've been to), the standard is diabolical. Tailgating, no indicating, no road courtesy...need I go on. Australians have been brainwashed into believing that if you exceed any speed limit you are irresponsible and WILL kill someone, therfore as long as you stay under the speed limit your driving standard doesn't matter because you are now a safe driver. Even the standard of vehicles on the road is poor, the number of deathtraps (affectionately known as "old bombs") I see daily is ridiculous.
The reason new immigrants from the UK end up getting fined so heavily when they first arrive, is they use a normal driving standard without realising that driving is so heavily restricted in Australia, with the most stupidly slow speed limits which are relentlesly enforced (in some cases given priority over other policing - as I was advised by my wifes friend who is a WAPOL)

So a "normal driving standard" means casually breaking the driving laws by ignoring speed limits??

lol... maybe some people find it hard to accept they aren't particularly good at following certain road rules ... blame the police and not the driver eh?

If they refuse to follow the rules they will be fined into submission.. it's only a matter of time.

I don't know a single person who has been "brainwashed" the way you describe.

jazzys Mar 16th 2010 10:27 pm

Is it just the british who find driving standards here to be awful, or do the australians actually recognise the problem?

And if so, who do they blame? Probably the asians i suspect.

Jazzys