Reload this Page >

Speeding and driving licenses

Speeding and driving licenses

Old May 10th 2003, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

bobinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Speeding and driving licenses

Hi,

If you get caught speeding when driving on a UK license do you still get the points?

Also, I understand you need to get an Aussie license within 3 months of being here. What are the implications if you apply later than that?

Cheers,
Bob
Old May 10th 2003, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Forgot to mention that I'm on a 457 temp Visa and don't plan on applying for PR - do I still need to get a Oz license?
Old May 10th 2003, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

I wouldn't think you got points added to an overseas licence ... but you'd still be liable for the fine and any court judgement.

I recall seeing a couple of blokes touring with Irish Rego plates on their motorbikes ... i'd say the speed cameras would have difficulty there aswell.
Old May 11th 2003, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Not so simple in NZ - someone I know was caught speeding by the NZ police (traffic patrol car, not a fixed roadside camera). Obviously he didn't have a NZ licence at the time (you are allowed to drive in NZ for one year before you must apply for an NZ licence) so gave his UK licence to the police, paid the fine and forgot all about it.

When the 1 year period was up, he went and sat the NZ theory test to obtain a NZ licence. The Police/LTSA obviously kept a record of the offence & his UK driving licence no/name/DOB etc as his NZ licence automatically had demerit points from the speeding offence on it from day one. Points were not added to his UK licence (the UK police/courts/DVLA would not recognise them anyway) but the NZ police obviously do keep good records of anyone who commits a traffic offence in NZ!

So if you are coming over to NZ and think you've got a year of scot free driving, you could be in for a nasty shock when you come to apply for your NZ driving licence, so be careful!

all the best

Russ.
Old May 11th 2003, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Russ,

In New Zealand do they mark your UK license (to indicate no longer valid) when you get a NZ one? The fact that they do this in Oz suggests to me that they don't link the 2 (otherwise why would they have to invalidate the old license...?).

Cheers,
Bob
Old May 11th 2003, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope, they don't do anything to it at all - although once you've got a NZ licence you must always carry it when driving and present your NZ licence if requested by the Police. Trying to get away with something by presenting a UK licence when you in fact have a NZ licence will get you into hot water very quickly as the police/LTSA do link the 2 licences together.

What do the aussies do to your UK licence then? snip a hole in it like it's a railway ticket or something?!

Russ
Old May 11th 2003, 1:40 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
Nope, they don't do anything to it at all - although once you've got a NZ licence you must always carry it when driving and present your NZ licence if requested by the Police. Trying to get away with something by presenting a UK licence when you in fact have a NZ licence will get you into hot water very quickly as the police/LTSA do link the 2 licences together.

What do the aussies do to your UK licence then? snip a hole in it like it's a railway ticket or something?!

Russ
Actually I hear they do in fact deface the UK licence in some way to notify the aus cops if they stop you and you try and use a UK one! including snipping a hole in it like a bus ticket!

BobInAus - you can drive on your UK licence for as long as you are here as a 457 - no worries, please get proper insurance - you might need it!!!! While you have a legal UK one you will get full fines and subsequent court proceedings if necessary, but not the points!

Three Months on a UK when you come over on PR here in NSW, never heard of anyone trying to get it later, but think it means they might make you take the whole test and not just the computerised theory

Will tell you more when Andy and I get them sorted, 457 for one year on UK licences and proper insurance back in two weeks on PR - still to sit theory for AUS licences

Cheers

PS - got a mate here 11 years on UK licence and PR, but then he has never been done for anything..YET
Old May 11th 2003, 2:58 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Always, always get a duplicate license from th DVLA before leaving the country. Aus/NZ can then do what they want. If the worst comes to the worst and you find yourself back in the UK, at least you have your driving license. Very handy if you loose one as well.

Steve.
Old May 11th 2003, 3:06 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Always, always get a duplicate license from th DVLA before leaving the country. Aus/NZ can then do what they want. If the worst comes to the worst and you find yourself back in the UK, at least you have your driving license. Very handy if you loose one as well.

Steve.
Totally agree 17 pounds for a replicate licence.....depends how they deface, does a punch hold invalidate your UK licence in the UK? .....but real question here. What address do you put down, how do the insurance companies when you rent a car in the UK react to the fact that you have lived abroad for a few years...better to tell them or not? Could it invalidate your insurance, we asked and would have been put on extra premiums! After one year!

Cheers
Old May 11th 2003, 3:12 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Sandra
Totally agree 17 pounds for a replicate licence.....depends how they deface, does a punch hold invalidate your UK licence in the UK? .....but real question here. What address do you put down, how do the insurance companies when you rent a car in the UK react to the fact that you have lived abroad for a few years...better to tell them or not? Could it invalidate your insurance, we asked and would have been put on extra premiums! After one year!

Cheers
When you come back to the UK you send back to the DVLA for a change of address on your license, which I believe is still free.
Old May 11th 2003, 3:32 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by SteveBannister
When you come back to the UK you send back to the DVLA for a change of address on your license, which I believe is still free.
Change of address to where?

Change of address is only free if you already have a photo licence, otherwise 17 or 18 pounds, I was doing both new photo licence and change of address replacement three weeks ago. Plus you have to send id to get the new photo one, which can mean passport (are you letting that one of of sight while waiting for visa). I sent birth certificate and marriage (cause I changed my name on marriage) to get a replicate photo one.

You can pay at Post Office Counters for an extra fee to get them to authorise you showed the relevant details - but I have not done this so cannot comment, was just told this was a service they provide.

So basically I think the advice is get your UK licence up to date and then pay 17 pound for a replicate one? NOW

Cheers
Old May 11th 2003, 3:45 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Best advice: don't speed - Don (another point for my red star!)
Old May 11th 2003, 3:51 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Best advice: don't speed - Don (another point for my red star!)
Agreed ....but are you going mad before or after the fifth? And why I am responding to your useful posts...to get me next star?

Cheers

PS I believe IMOP aussies drivers are dreadful and keep yourself safe............buy a tank to drive