British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Specials Enmore Theatre (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/specials-enmore-theatre-611446/)

pompeyblonde May 27th 2009 3:18 am

The Specials Enmore Theatre

just wondered if anyone else was going on the Tuesday??? :thumbup:

stewmac May 27th 2009 6:44 am

Re: The Specials Enmore Theatre

"Too much too Old" :rofl::rofl:

nah sold out in Melb ...all the johnnie come latelys i blame :sneaky: :thumbdown:

pompeyblonde May 28th 2009 3:50 am

I might be stood there on my own then...but I don't care! :D was hoping to meet someone for a bev tho, surely someone else must be going?:rolleyes:

stewmac May 28th 2009 4:59 am

I know of someone who is goin to the Sydney gig her name is Sara and she is originally from Pompey area too ,pm me your email and i will pass it on to her via my mutual friend :thumbup:

Margaret3 May 28th 2009 5:37 am

Originally Posted by stewmac (Post 7611088)
I know of someone who is goin to the Sydney gig her name is Sara and she is originally from Pompey area too ,pm me your email and i will pass it on to her via my mutual friend :thumbup:

sounds dodgy to me:ohmy:

stewmac May 28th 2009 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 7611134)
sounds dodgy to me:ohmy:

Was talkin bout the Specials..not Special cases Mags :p

Margaret3 May 28th 2009 5:44 am

Originally Posted by stewmac (Post 7611152)
Was talkin bout the Specials..not Special cases Mags :p

awww thats me and you out that meet then:lol:

stewmac May 28th 2009 6:01 am

"there coming to take you away ah ha" ;)

Kooky. May 28th 2009 11:42 am

Aw, shit, no! I had no idea they were coming to Oz. I played the recent Jools Holland show footage over and over and drove my husband mad (he's too young, doesn't get it - his loss).

Just looked it up and the Tuesday is sold out, but they've put another show on on the Monday. :D Thank you thank you. xxx

pompeyblonde May 28th 2009 10:59 pm

Just looked it up and the Tuesday is sold out, but they've put another show on on the Monday. Thank you thank you. xxx

Im very excited, so much so I bought a ticket without anyone to go with!....:rofl:

Kooky. May 30th 2009 2:07 am

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde (Post 7613822)

Im very excited, so much so I bought a ticket without anyone to go with!....:rofl:

Good on ya! I've been to gigs on my own rather than not go at all. Saw Lauryn Hill in Singapore that way. :)

Kooky. Jul 27th 2009 1:22 pm

Oh pompeyblonde you are in for a treat. My face aches from smiling so much, and I'm very pleased to report that Terry Hall still deserves my undying love. :wub: They've still got it, bigstyle. Fantastic.

I would however advise you to wrap up warm, especially if you're planning to get there quite early. I swear there was freezing fog inside the theatre.

AusS2000 Jul 28th 2009 12:57 am

We're going! That is my girlfriend and I.

I'm 40 and loved The Specials when I was 14. Never thought I'd get to see them live.

You're welcome to hang with us Pompey. Maybe someone for Ash to talk to whilst I'm skanking, LOL.

pompeyblonde Jul 28th 2009 3:05 am

Oh pompeyblonde you are in for a treat. My face aches from smiling so much, and I'm very pleased to report that Terry Hall still deserves my undying love. They've still got it, bigstyle. Fantastic.
Im SOOOOO excited!! Im meeting DMPP there too!! hurrraaay!:rofl:

pompeyblonde Jul 29th 2009 1:40 am

What a night eh? It was over all too soon! :thumbsup:

AusS2000 Jul 29th 2009 1:47 am

Yeah we had an absolute blast. They are so dynamic and energetic, well except Terry who still looks like he is overdoing the valium.

My gf really enjoyed it even though she had never heard any of the songs nor experienced that culture before.

We were at the back of the front section a couple of rows in front of the barricade.

http://s2000.byteserve.com.au/images/specials.jpg

pompeyblonde Jul 29th 2009 2:39 am

nice pic! we were behind the barrier, its a good venue though, not too big.

AusS2000 Jul 29th 2009 2:54 am

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde (Post 7793227)
nice pic! we were behind the barrier, its a good venue though, not too big.

I love the Enmore. Has so much more atmosphere than the Ent Cent or anything at Homebush.

Umm, mind if I ask how old you are? You don't look old enough to have enjoyed the Specials first time around.

pompeyblonde Jul 29th 2009 3:24 am

ooooo!! well thank you! :wub:

Im 43, well old enough to have danced to them at the youth club disco!:eek:

AusS2000 Jul 29th 2009 3:39 am

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde (Post 7793316)
ooooo!! well thank you! :wub:

Im 43, well old enough to have danced to them at the youth club disco!:eek:

Wow, had no idea from the pics. You would have been right in the thick of it.

I got into them about the time they broke up. Fortunately still had Bad Manners and Selector and local bands like the Allniters, The Leftovers and Strange Tenants.

I have the dubious honour of appearing in a virtually unseen film clip for The Leftovers "Suzanne beware of the devil".

pompeyblonde Jul 29th 2009 4:22 am

I have the dubious honour of appearing in a virtually unseen film clip for Strange Tenants "Suzie beware of the devil".
I bet its on the net somewhere!

AusS2000 Jul 29th 2009 4:26 am

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde (Post 7793441)
I bet its on the net somewhere!

I've just been searching for it. Turns out it was The Leftovers not Strange Tenants. And there are a load of bands in the US called Leftovers so it's not easy to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Many years after they broke up I came home from a nightclub about 3am and switched on Rage. Next thing I know there's me skanking across the screen to the beats of Suzanne. Only time I've ever seen it.

Nigel 2009 Jul 29th 2009 6:36 am

Originally Posted by AusS2000 (Post 7793138)
Yeah we had an absolute blast. They are so dynamic and energetic, well except Terry who still looks like he is overdoing the valium.

My gf really enjoyed it even though she had never heard any of the songs nor experienced that culture before.

We were at the back of the front section a couple of rows in front of the barricade.

You must have been close to me by look of that shot. It was a great night though just like the old days. Hung around for the meet and greet afterwards too.

Kooky. Jul 29th 2009 9:39 pm

My toyboy husband loved it too, and he wasn't really aware of them even though he's British. :lol:

How was Neville - he sprained his ankle pretty badly on Monday. Just after I said to The Geek, "they're not bad for fifties, eh?" :unsure:

We got some photos and some short video clips, too, but they're too big to post unless I whack 'em on youtube first.

soapy© Jul 29th 2009 10:25 pm

:thumbsup:

Brilliant pic. I saw them in Glasgow when I was about 15 absolutely brilliant concert. Sorry I missed them this time around.

Paulinex

Nigel 2009 Jul 30th 2009 2:58 am

I played the first album to my kids in the car on the way to school this morning. My daughter's sold.

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex Coventry)

pompeyblonde Jul 30th 2009 4:05 am

I played the first album to my kids in the car on the way to school this morning. My daughter's sold.
Brilliant! I mean it all just sounds so fresh, and is prob still relevant to youngsters today..

AusS2000 Jul 30th 2009 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Nigel 2009 (Post 7793621)
Hung around for the meet and greet afterwards too.

How'd that go? Did you meet the band? Did you explain Aussie Rules to Terry?

Nigel 2009 Jul 30th 2009 2:07 pm

Terry didn't show, must have been too disturbed although his son Felix was there looking the spitting image of his dad in the Gangsters video. I was in Coventry during the 1970's and 80's and knew Terry, Rod, Horace and Lynval quite well. It was great to see them all (except Terry) for the first time in about 24 years. What was especially suprising was bumping into a guy called Colin Heanes who I also knew from Coventry and who now lives in Brisbane, he was the original drummer in the band King - remember them?

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex-Coventry)

AusS2000 Jul 30th 2009 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Nigel 2009 (Post 7798366)
Terry didn't show, must have been too disturbed although his son Felix was there looking the spitting image of his dad in the Gangsters video. I was in Coventry during the 1970's and 80's and knew Terry, Rod, Horace and Lynval quite well. It was great to see them all (except Terry) for the first time in about 24 years. What was especially suprising was bumping into a guy called Colin Heanes who I also knew from Coventry and who now lives in Brisbane, he was the original drummer in the band King - remember them?

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex-Coventry)

King, as in Love and Pride? I remember them well.

Must have been great to catch up with old faces.

Nigel 2009 Jul 31st 2009 12:06 am

Yep that's the one. The Coventry music scene was so incestuous we all played with everyone at some time or another. Great times, great memories.

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex Coventry)

AusS2000 Jul 31st 2009 1:13 am

Well I'm glad I found this forum. Seems like nice people here.

I was just looking for reviews of The Specials first gig and found this site. And being an ex-pat I guess I qualify even if I left England when I was 4.

stuckinblighty Jul 31st 2009 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Nigel 2009 (Post 7798366)

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex-Coventry)

We went to the Melbourne gig last night and it superb :thumbsup:
The place was buzzing...great atmosphere.The band really sounded tight and didnt miss a beat.
We're from Cov and the missus knew a few of the group members from back in the days when they played the clubs,Tiffanys etc
It was fantastic to see my hometown group on the other side of the world :D:D
TOO MUCH TOO YOUNG !!!!

Lee :thumbup:

Nigel 2009 Jul 31st 2009 3:23 am

They still have it don't they? I know what you mean though, kinda weird seeing them on this side of the world all these years later. I remember Tiffany's well, saw many bands there and Mr Georges, General Wolfe, Dog and Trumpet etc. The music scene was so vibrant it was a great place to be at that time in history.

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex Coventry)

Kooky. Jul 31st 2009 11:44 am

People don't believe I saw U2 at Leeds Tiffany's in 1981. :rofl:

stuckinblighty Jul 31st 2009 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 7801047)
People don't believe I saw U2 at Leeds Tiffany's in 1981. :rofl:

liar liar bums on fire

Kooky. Jul 31st 2009 12:40 pm

Well it might be if I could get a decent curry in this town.

Nigel 2009 Jul 31st 2009 9:59 pm

Mmmmmmm curry. (Preceeded by 14 pints).

Couldn't do that these days.

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex-Coventry)

Kooky. Jul 31st 2009 11:15 pm

PS For any doubters :) http://www.u2gigs.com/show808.html

(Can't believe I found that on the www!)

AusS2000 Aug 1st 2009 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 7801224)
Well it might be if I could get a decent curry in this town.

Seasider, you want Sri's at Narrabeen. Pittwater Rd, opposite corner of Ocean St.

My father and grandmother grew up in India with the British forces and swear it is the best they've tasted.

And you can get the pints (well schooners) at the Sands across the road.