Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sparky - urgenct advice needed

Sparky - urgenct advice needed

Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Stoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really nice
Default Sparky - urgenct advice needed

Hello All,

I haven't been on here for a while and having read some of the posts regarding the difficulties in getting work I'm rather concerned and wondered if anyone could offer advice; our situation is as follows:
we had our visa granted in October last year (skilled Migrant, other half is a sparky - went the Vetassess route), luckily our house sold really quickly so we're in rented, with this in mind we thought rather than validate we would take the plunge and make the move so we booked one way tickets for July this year (visa needs validating before the end of July).
We have been looking on the likes of Seek for jobs around Brisbane but having read some other posts on here we were of the opinion that it was pointless in actually applying as employers don't really want to know until you are in the country; I suppose what we really need to know is...are the jobs really drying up that badly, is it a foolish to make the move and leave good jobs without jobs to go to? as I said my other half is an electrician and I currently work as a facilities manager.
I hope I haven't rambled on too much but any advise as to what's available and what to do would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

coralsr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Sparky - urgenct advice needed

Originally Posted by Stoke30
Hello All,

I haven't been on here for a while and having read some of the posts regarding the difficulties in getting work I'm rather concerned and wondered if anyone could offer advice; our situation is as follows:
we had our visa granted in October last year (skilled Migrant, other half is a sparky - went the Vetassess route), luckily our house sold really quickly so we're in rented, with this in mind we thought rather than validate we would take the plunge and make the move so we booked one way tickets for July this year (visa needs validating before the end of July).
We have been looking on the likes of Seek for jobs around Brisbane but having read some other posts on here we were of the opinion that it was pointless in actually applying as employers don't really want to know until you are in the country; I suppose what we really need to know is...are the jobs really drying up that badly, is it a foolish to make the move and leave good jobs without jobs to go to? as I said my other half is an electrician and I currently work as a facilities manager.
I hope I haven't rambled on too much but any advise as to what's available and what to do would be greatly appreciated!!!!
yes there are jobs out there good look
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:12 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sparky - urgenct advice needed

Hello All,

i`ve been in south qld for 2.5 yrs i have my own electrical contracting business and this is my opinion

jobs are drying up if your in a "safe" position in the uk i would consider validating your visa and staying put untill things improve, which they will,
but i think it`ll take 18 to 24 months for things to turn around,

trying to get start when you have good contacts is difficult
now trying to get a start with say no licence, a permit to work or no aussie experiance
i feel is going to be bloody difficult to say the least

also have a look on the sparkies bit and pose your question there

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

regards steve
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:19 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Im with Stevo on this one, i can see things are gona get pretty ugly over the next 12 months. I now know more sparks out of work than in work. Iv talked to a few old timers over here and they have seen this happen many times but it will bounce back, when?? who knows??
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Stoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really niceStoke30 is just really nice

Cheers guys for the advice its not what i wanted to hear but sometimes you have to face facts ,the only other option for me is 2 look into doing something else until it picks up which will give me time to get my license or is it totally across the board that all jobs are becoming hard to get ie. i would even pack shelves in a supermarket , i just want to get over there !as my oh has good experience in what she does and she might have to be the bread winner for the time being what yer reckon
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:41 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys for the advice its not what i wanted to hear but sometimes you have to face facts ,the only other option for me is 2 look into doing something else until it picks up which will give me time to get my license or is it totally across the board that all jobs are becoming hard to get ie. i would even pack shelves in a supermarket , i just want to get over there !as my oh has good experience in what she does and she might have to be the bread winner for the time being what yer reckon
again only my opinion

if you can afford it beeing out of work is far nicer wheres its warm

jobs are tight and getting tighter all around with an expected jobless figure of 7 % this yr, as nobody is spending the grass cutting jobs etc will get more and more competative,
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

Sons a 4th year electrical apprentice for a massive company. As they finish their training they are letting them all go

Cant tell you what to do, I think at the moment it depends on how much risk you are able to cope with, and back up finances if you dont find work.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Supermarket jobs are highly sought after in OZ, currently they are taking thousands of applications a week Dont rely on that one.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

gary and gill is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all
i hoping to leave the uk next year
so hopefully things will be better by then

however just on a quick job search i can see on seek
200+ electrician vacancies for brisbane and 38 in adelaide

now if i try the uk's main jobsite i find jobcentre plus to be quite good
i get about 12 within a 50 mile radius of my house (glasgow)even if i choose to stay in london theres only 92 vacancies

at the moment im only on a years contract so i not as secure as id like
to be and really dreaming of that ozzy life,

looking at the stats there really does seem to be more work out there than
here, and according to most reports we hear on the news the uk is set to have a long and deep recession maybe even depression so it'll get worse here before it gets better

anyway this is quite a long post for my first so i'll stop now.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gary and gill
hi all

i get about 12 within a 50 mile radius of my house (glasgow)even if i choose to stay in london theres only 92 vacancies

here, and according to most reports we hear on the news the uk is set to have a long and deep recession maybe even depression so it'll get worse here before it gets better

There may be loads of jobs advertised but that doesn't mean they are easy to get, OH has been searching for months and applies for all the jobs advertised along with hundreds of others, he has his licence but as a new migrant with as yet no Australian experience he has yet to be offered any job, as yourself he will do anything but so will everyone else and other jobs are concerned that you will leave once you are offered an electrical job.

Claire
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:03 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by gary and gill
hi all

listen its great that your so optomistic about landing a job,
but please go back to your seek search and look a bit closer

http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/ind...archfrom=quick

the first 7 jobs are all agency jobs ( read agencies adding to their books especially when you read Fantastic opportunities available for Electricians seeking new challenging roles throughout Australia ! This is your chance to make that move, job number 6 on the list )
jobs 8 through to 24 auto electricians,

i could point out posters on here in au who havnt found a job in 3 months or more or stu up in cairns whos posted only this moring that he now knows more sparks out of work than in work but what do i know i`m only a contractor here in south qld

good luck geting a job mate and i`m not taking the piss i sincerly mean good luck, having come half way around the world at the start of a resession your going to need it

regards steve
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

gary and gill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve`o
listen its great that your so optomistic about landing a job,
but please go back to your seek search and look a bit closer

http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/ind...archfrom=quick

the first 7 jobs are all agency jobs ( read agencies adding to their books especially when you read Fantastic opportunities available for Electricians seeking new challenging roles throughout Australia ! This is your chance to make that move, job number 6 on the list )
jobs 8 through to 24 auto electricians,

i could point out posters on here in au who havnt found a job in 3 months or more or stu up in cairns whos posted only this moring that he now knows more sparks out of work than in work but what do i know i`m only a contractor here in south qld

good luck geting a job mate and i`m not taking the piss i sincerly mean good luck, having come half way around the world at the start of a resession your going to need it

regards steve
hi Steve
to be fair i was including agency and auto electrician in both uk and ozzy searches otherwise they'd only be 2 both too far for me to travel to locally.
however, i read and reread my post and other than the occasional m missing,
incidently my m needs to be hammered to work, i didnt mean to adopt any unsavoury tone though it seems to have struck a raw nerve with you,
for which i can only apologize

Gary
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure you touched a nerve - he's tougher than that I think he was just trying to explain just how tough UK tradies find it when they first arrive, without the extra burden of the recession kicking in. You'll still need to spend months (and possibly more months) getting your licences sorted so it's not a case of getting off the plane and applying for jobs unfortunately. Those days ended back in the early 90s.

Jad also mentioned something that needs pushing more, supermarket shelf stocking, and other similar types of jobs are also hard to get, for some reason they don't take anyone (in the UK they seem to, including special needs people), they are fussy here and you have to go through two or three interview/training sessions before they will accept you so it's not a simple fallback as it may be in the UK (or used to be anyway).
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:49 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just cannot understand why more people don't take heed of the likes of Steve O, Stu and Jad/Rich on the subject of tradies work.

Those particular posters do nothing but give out good advice from experience but it isn't what people want to hear.

What is the point of coming onto this forum, asking advice and then completely ignoring it. People who are 10-12,000 miles away, many of whom have never been to Australia, think they know better than people who have been here a number of years and in alot of cases done the hard yards to get where they are.

You might be the best sparky, chippy, plumber etc etc in your area in your home country (or think you are) but you will be at the bottom of the pile once you get to Oz these days.

To people who say they will do anything to tide them over such as working in MaccyDs, supermarket work, gardening, well think again. I agree with everyone who says competition is stiff for those jobs now. Even if you do get a job flipping burgers (highly unlikely as they prefer taking kids as they cost less) you will be casual, get rung up at 11pm at night to work the next day, get shifts cancelled, cut short blah blah.

I constantly read posts that start "I was told..", I was informed..", I was led to believe..", "someone said"... and finish with "There is plenty of work". Yet no-one ever says who told them this. Is it the Government, agents, an Australian they met at a Walkabout pub, Auntie May's husband's cousin's dog?
Please enlighten us.

Come on guys get a grip on reality. This a Global issue and the jobs just aren't around at the moment.

As has been said if you have no work in your home country and enough money to live on for 6-12 months or you have a secure job offer yes move to Australia. If you have a job at home, stay there for the time being. The situation will improve eventually but it's anyone's guess as to when.

Obviously this post isn't what 100s of people will want to read so I will get my tin hat and prepare for the flack and insults that will be hurled my way.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No insults or flack from those of us who have been there and done that - unemployed for months even though their occupation was on the MODL and in high demand. I know you went through it with your tradie husband and I went through it with my husband.

The reality is that there is very little work available for trades at the moment. The reality is that ther are very few jobs out there period, whether trades or not. When you see 100 jobs listed on seek, you can bet that at least 50% are repeats of the same job, either through different agencies or the same agency posting the job numerous times.

The best advice for sparkies in Queensland comes from Steve, Stu and JadnRich. They are actually living the situation so know firsthand what's going on. As for me...If I had a secure job and a place to live and money in the bank I would leave everything just as it is for the time being. Make a validation trip in July, apply for every job you can, apply for your licence. Then go home and move permanently at a later date. The PR visa is valid for 5 years, and Australia is not going anywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.