Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Space saver bags

Space saver bags

Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough
Default Space saver bags

Anyone used the vacuum sealed bags to ship clothes & stuff in? I just wondered if they would be allowed incase immigration has to open them and they cannot then vacuum seal them again.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:25 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Space saver bags

Originally Posted by georgiagal
Anyone used the vacuum sealed bags to ship clothes & stuff in? I just wondered if they would be allowed incase immigration has to open them and they cannot then vacuum seal them again.
somebody posted a little while back about the space saver bags, the general answer was they tend to be a good idea, but you do have a possible risk of condensation, and the clothes smelling afterwards because of it.

I'll see if I can find the thread.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:29 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

here are a couple of related threads :

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=1249373
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

barny rubble will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Space saver bags

we have just packed our suitcases with them so i hope you can use them, we will see but they do save loads of space, and very much needed with 2 kids in tow.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:40 pm
Going for a ride

the condensation problem only arises if you ship clothes in the container, not in suitcases by air of course.

Did you mean shipping by sea or air in the bags ?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barny rubble
we have just packed our suitcases with them so i hope you can use them, we will see but they do save loads of space, and very much needed with 2 kids in tow.
Great idea unless customs in any of the countries you stop in wants to have a look inside the bags. We flew through the US and my bag was opened and searched in San Fran. How do I know? They didn't pack it back the same way and they broke the main zipper on my brand new suitcase. Oh and the little customs and immigration sticker on the front of the bag saying it had been inspected.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Great idea unless customs in any of the countries you stop in wants to have a look inside the bags. We flew through the US and my bag was opened and searched in San Fran. How do I know? They didn't pack it back the same way and they broke the main zipper on my brand new suitcase. Oh and the little customs and immigration sticker on the front of the bag saying it had been inspected.
Instead of using the vacuum ones - go for the roll up ones instead. Not as good but can be repacked if needed.

Handy hint. Bring a couple of spares with you. The seals on one of ours broke when one of the bags was opened.