Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Southport and Work?

Southport and Work?

Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:04 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Southport and Work?

Long story but in short.

Has anyone or does anyone have any views on taxi driving work or door security work in and around the Southport area?

By this i mean, experiences, wages, amount of work, etc etc/!

Cheers.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:22 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southport and Work?

Jeez not one reply, i am upset, very upset, huh!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Jeez not one reply, i am upset, very upset, huh!
Maybe you got no replies because nobody has experience of door of taxi work in Southport.

To do door work you will need a security licence, which takes time. Not sure what you need for taxi, though.
Old May 2nd 2009, 8:34 pm
Banned

One more bump!

Out of interest, I am looking for a two bedroom townie type of house in and around Southport, time wise around October this year.

Fully furnished, quiet area, book for a month, with the option to book for another month at a time and so on until I am confident i am staying so will rent an unfurnished and buy some furniture.

I need somewhere no more than a ten minute drive to the Gold Coast Hospital. As I am taking up a post as a chief anaesthetist, loads of booze!

Any advice, no more than $400.00 a week tops, what do you all think?

Keith

P.S. Any thoughts http://www.seqrents.com.au/pebbles/index.htm

Last edited by Keith Moon; May 2nd 2009 at 8:59 pm.
Old May 2nd 2009, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

If you are coming cashed up with British Pounds you should be able to drive a hard bargain and get a good deal on the Gold Coast (see this thread).

http://forum.globalhousepricecrash.c...howtopic=43476

As for work, when I lived in the Brisbane / Gold Coast region a few years ago most of the doorman jobs seemed to be held be 20 stone polynesian gentlemen, and there is no shortage of them in SE Queensland. Taxi driving might be a goer. Most taxi drivers in the bigger OZ cities seem to be from Africa or the sub continent, but as far as I am aware there is no barrier to anyone wanting to become a driver. Its not that bad a job. There have been some savage attacks on taxi drivers in recent times, but if you are looking for doorman work, you are probably pretty handy with your fists, so that would probably be a perk of the job.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/NR/exer...5979D28407.htm

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,,24287487-2,00.html

Also found this article ...

Trouble brewing within the taxi ranks
Article from: The Courier-Mail

Michael Crutcher and Tuck Thompson

May 02, 2009 12:00am

TENSIONS are rising on Brisbane's taxi ranks as a wave of new drivers - including many from overseas - join the industry in record numbers.

The Courier-Mail can report that more than 1300 taxi driver permits were issued by the State Government last year – almost double the combined total of the previous three years.

Veteran Brisbane drivers say the new cabbies are mostly overseas students and some of them are ripping off passengers.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...4-3102,00.html

Out of interest why are you looking for the doorman / taxi jobs when you will be working as a chief anaesthetist ?????????????
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

If you have job at gold coast hospital ask them for accomadation they have a few places around southport also they have security gaurds may be you can get on with them good luck
Old May 3rd 2009, 9:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by UncleKev
If you are coming cashed up with British Pounds you should be able to drive a hard bargain and get a good deal on the Gold Coast (see this thread).

http://forum.globalhousepricecrash.c...howtopic=43476
Was not looking to buy, but should bring down the rent hey? Thought prices were stable over there?

As for work, when I lived in the Brisbane / Gold Coast region a few years ago most of the doorman jobs seemed to be held be 20 stone polynesian gentlemen, and there is no shortage of them in SE Queensland. Taxi driving might be a goer. Most taxi drivers in the bigger OZ cities seem to be from Africa or the sub continent, but as far as I am aware there is no barrier to anyone wanting to become a driver. Its not that bad a job. There have been some savage attacks on taxi drivers in recent times, but if you are looking for doorman work, you are probably pretty handy with your fists, so that would probably be a perk of the job.
Put it down wrong, security work, crowd control, rather than standing there looking like a bully while staring at teenagers.

Out of interest why are you looking for the doorman / taxi jobs when you will be working as a chief anaesthetist ?????????????
Was a joke, missus is a nurse, me i am just a nuisance, she would agree!

Many thanks for the informative post, fantastic. Its just i am looking for some cash to pay the bills, few beers etc. No kids, no mortgage, and a good few bob in the bank.

Cheers Keith
Old May 3rd 2009, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Dairymilk04 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
One more bump!

Out of interest, I am looking for a two bedroom townie type of house in and around Southport, time wise around October this year.

Fully furnished, quiet area, book for a month, with the option to book for another month at a time and so on until I am confident i am staying so will rent an unfurnished and buy some furniture.

I need somewhere no more than a ten minute drive to the Gold Coast Hospital. As I am taking up a post as a chief anaesthetist, loads of booze!

Any advice, no more than $400.00 a week tops, what do you all think?

Keith

P.S. Any thoughts http://www.seqrents.com.au/pebbles/index.htm

Hey Keith,

Me and my hubbie moved to the Gold Coast from Cairns in March this year and are renting at the complex in your link. It's nice and quiet and secure with excellent on site managers. I've heard good and bad things about Labrador, but we're a short walk from the broadwater and restaurants, so we really like it location wise.
If you're looking at a complex i would look at places with onsite managers so you have someone to go to if you have noisy neighbours etc, as this was a concern of ours. My hubby works in Southport and his drive to work is less than 10 mins!! So for us at the mo the location is nice and central until we have been here a bit longer and can suss out areas we may want to eventually buy in.
Good luck with the move
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dairymilk04
Hey Keith,

Me and my hubbie moved to the Gold Coast from Cairns in March this year and are renting at the complex in your link. It's nice and quiet and secure with excellent on site managers. I've heard good and bad things about Labrador, but we're a short walk from the broadwater and restaurants, so we really like it location wise.
If you're looking at a complex i would look at places with onsite managers so you have someone to go to if you have noisy neighbours etc, as this was a concern of ours. My hubby works in Southport and his drive to work is less than 10 mins!! So for us at the mo the location is nice and central until we have been here a bit longer and can suss out areas we may want to eventually buy in.
Good luck with the move
Karma sent, fantastic reply, whoosha!