Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Southern Brisbane - Shailer Park/Daisy Hill/Springwood/Rochedale/West Side?

Southern Brisbane - Shailer Park/Daisy Hill/Springwood/Rochedale/West Side?

Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

mavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud of
Default Southern Brisbane - Shailer Park/Daisy Hill/Springwood/Rochedale/West Side?

Hi All,

We are looking to move to Brisbane end of next year and have been looking around the Shailer Park/Daisy Hill area. I know plenty about these suburbs and have two questions on that area;

The Hyperdome sounds fab - BUT do you get much trouble there? I want my teens to be able to go there with friends and not have to worry myself silly….

Does anyone regularly commute from to the CBD from Shailer Park/Daisy Hill? What could my husband expect? What's the best form of transport? Drive/train/bus?

Shailer Park and Daisy Hill aside….

any comments on Springwood and Rochedale or indeed any other suggstions?
For info we are a family of 5. Hubby will be based in CBD. 3 kids aged 17, 14 and 9. We love eating out, barbies with friends. Don't want to be too rural (I am worried about being isolated) so a community is a must. Not into nightclubs or football/soccer :$ but 14 year old boy is an excellent tennis player.

Quite happy to look a little to the west side as long as hubby can still get to CBD without too much hassle.

All info good or bad appreciated…but please respect each others views…I hate it when these things turn into an argument!

Mav
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southern Brisbane - Shailer Park/Daisy Hill/Springwood/Rochedale/West Side?

I personally wouldn't go there. That far out on the south side is quite bogan and not really very attractive housing (from my personal point of view). We rented in Eight Mile Plains for a few years - which was the furthest south we would have gone and we ended up taking our daughter out of the state school and putting her into a private girls school in the city because of the bogan element. People commute quite easliy from those suburbs, freeway access is easy, but the freeway can get quite congested in the morning and it can be pretty slow going (I haven't driven it for years though, things could have changed). I haven't been to the Hyperdome for years either, but again, pretty strong bogan element. I'd go closer to the city if I were you, but if that's not possible, I would explore the Western Suburbs and Bayside.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

mavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Southern Brisbane - Shailer Park/Daisy Hill/Springwood/Rochedale/West Side?

Originally Posted by Kim67
I personally wouldn't go there. That far out on the south side is quite bogan and not really very attractive housing (from my personal point of view). We rented in Eight Mile Plains for a few years - which was the furthest south we would have gone and we ended up taking our daughter out of the state school and putting her into a private girls school in the city because of the bogan element. People commute quite easliy from those suburbs, freeway access is easy, but the freeway can get quite congested in the morning and it can be pretty slow going (I haven't driven it for years though, things could have changed). I haven't been to the Hyperdome for years either, but again, pretty strong bogan element. I'd go closer to the city if I were you, but if that's not possible, I would explore the Western Suburbs and Bayside.
Thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking where did you settle?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:03 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Hyperdome = focal social point for 10km radius.
10km radius brings in Beenleigh, Logan City (AKA Bogan City), Slacks Creek, Springwood, Woodridge. All of which share many things in common; lack of clothes wearing citizens, poor dental hygiene, inability to cut their manes, preferences for 15 year old commodores or utes with Southern Cross stickers on them, 24 hour drive-thru bottleshops. I could go on
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mavine1
Thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking where did you settle?
We bought a place in Coorparoo about five years ago. We're Australian originally from Perth, came to Brisbane about 14 years ago and have just spent the last three years away (Perth for eight months and Dubai for just over two years). We love the inner south/east part of Brisbane. My kids were in private schools before we left, but because we only got back two weeks ago and wanted to throw them straight into school (after three months off for the Dubai summer) we've put them into our local state school in Camp Hill and they're loving it. The suburb of Coorparoo runs 4km to 6km from the city and is nice and hilly, with loads of trees.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:07 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a place in Coorparoo about five years ago. We're Australian originally from Perth, came to Brisbane about 14 years ago and have just spent the last three years away (Perth for eight months and Dubai for just over two years). We love the inner south/east part of Brisbane. My kids were in private schools before we left, but because we only got back two weeks ago and wanted to throw them straight into school (after three months off for the Dubai summer) we've put them into our local state school in Camp Hill and they're loving it. The suburb of Coorparoo runs 4km to 6km from the city and is nice and hilly, with loads of trees.
not to everyone's budget though. I'm assuming they are considering Shailer Park due to budget, otherwise I can't understand why anyone would go there
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
not to everyone's budget though. I'm assuming they are considering Shailer Park due to budget, otherwise I can't understand why anyone would go there
Yeah, that's why I said they should consider Bayside and West if they can't go closer to town. Just had a real estate agent send us the sold properties in our area in the last twelve months to check out how prices are going and the market still seems quite strong.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:31 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

From my memory was,nt Shailer park refered to as"TrailerPark "........MM
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mr mover
From my memory was,nt Shailer park refered to as"TrailerPark "........MM
EEeek! All the research I have done on Shailer Park seemed mostly positive! Wikipeadia classes it as middle class, mostly professional's.....it's so hard knowing where to start because I don't think even a reccie will be long enough to get a fair assessment of areas :$
Old Oct 30th 2010, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Hazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant future

Hi,

we live at Daisy Hill, been here 4 years, we love it here, my boys go to the hyperdome a lot they are 16 & 17 and both work there as well, they have never had any trouble there, nice and easy to drop off and pick them up, I think any area has bad suburb & shopping centres and Logan has quite a few but we have no trouble where we are as long as you stay away from Woodridge and stay on the other side of the Hwy for suburbs you will be fine, I was told that before I moved to oz by someone on here and I always remembered that, my kids go to local high school and my eldest has just completed a Uni course while still in grade 12 at school so again it depends on how your kids are and who they hang around with,

Our neighbour hood is very quite and would recommend it, easy access to Gold Coast and the city, my hubby works at Eagle farm ( near airport ) so he does hit the traffic each day but not a lot we can do about that.

If you need anymore info then let me know, happy to help..
Old Oct 30th 2010, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Hi there, I went on realestate.com and actually I think this area might be in our price range. I think Manly would be your best nearby beach am I right?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi there, I went on realestate.com and actually I think this area might be in our price range. I think Manly would be your best nearby beach am I right?
Brisbane doesn't have great "beaches" as such - Morton Bay has more of a mangrove style water frontage. For nice white sandy beaches, you really have to get out of Brisbane and head for the Sunshine Coast or the Gold Coast/Northern NSW. There's a nice man made beach at South Bank, just across the river from the Brisbane CBD. If the inner city South East is in your budget, I'd certainly explore it some more if I were you. Good luck.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

spenymoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

We are looking to move to Brisbane end of next year and have been looking around the Shailer Park/Daisy Hill area. I know plenty about these suburbs and have two questions on that area;

The Hyperdome sounds fab - BUT do you get much trouble there? I want my teens to be able to go there with friends and not have to worry myself silly….

Does anyone regularly commute from to the CBD from Shailer Park/Daisy Hill? What could my husband expect? What's the best form of transport? Drive/train/bus?

Shailer Park and Daisy Hill aside….

any comments on Springwood and Rochedale or indeed any other suggstions?
For info we are a family of 5. Hubby will be based in CBD. 3 kids aged 17, 14 and 9. We love eating out, barbies with friends. Don't want to be too rural (I am worried about being isolated) so a community is a must. Not into nightclubs or football/soccer :$ but 14 year old boy is an excellent tennis player.

Quite happy to look a little to the west side as long as hubby can still get to CBD without too much hassle.

All info good or bad appreciated…but please respect each others views…I hate it when these things turn into an argument!

Mav
Hi I work as a Carpenter in Logan and Beenleigh and i know every single street around these areas. In general Daisy hill and Shailer park are very nice areas, as a rule east of the freeway is pretty good. West of the freeway are your poorer areas ie Kingston and Woodridge that are rundown and need a little love and attention but majority great honest people lots of older pomms in these areas. Please beware when buying a house in Daisy hill and Shailer park as WHITE ANTS (termites) are a big problem so please check out a reliable and trustworthy company to check this out, always be there on the inspection.Great for kids very green parks hyperdome is good still got wildlife around theses areas kangaroos etc etc but slowly dying of with population boom. Travelling to the city by car is busy and probably give one hour at peak times, trains are on the west side ie Woodridge etc etc. Buses are pretty good i hear of the oldies into the city , but never tried myself. in general the ares you have chosen are very nice but always do your homework, there are some real beautiful areas around and some small pockets of average areas. If you have any more questions on these areas please ask. Aircon is a must it gets bloody hot and sweaty i have been here for 7 years moving from Manchester and i cannot get use to it, the hyperdome is great for summer NOT for the shopping just the AIRCON.
hope this helps.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:39 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

EEeek! All the research I have done on Shailer Park seemed mostly positive! Wikipeadia classes it as middle class, mostly professional's.....it's so hard knowing where to start because I don't think even a reccie will be long enough to get a fair assessment of areas :$
Hi

Spenymoon & Hazel T have pretty much nailed it, the other contributors to this thread have obviously got their heads up their A@#es.

Utter crap, believe me if you drive through Cooperoo and Camp Hill there are some very rough areas as there is everywhere.

In and around the Shailer Park / Daisy Hill / Cornubia there are still plenty of beautiful properties for sale at good prices compared to closer to the city, and plenty of wide open spaces, parks, facilities.

We have been here 5 yrs now and are very happy and settled.

Of course everyone's circumstances are different, but believe me no matter were you go you will find the unattractive members of the community, so if you want to spend mega dollars on a smaller property closer to the city just for the so called "prestige" of living in one of these suburbs cool, but in my opinion the burbs you mentioned are great for families, and a laid back lifestyle.

Oh by the way, check out the local schools / colleges etc...you will find they are some of the best in and around the Brisbane area....
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Hi

Spenymoon & Hazel T have pretty much nailed it, the other contributors to this thread have obviously got their heads up their A@#es.

Utter crap, believe me if you drive through Cooperoo and Camp Hill there are some very rough areas as there is everywhere.

In and around the Shailer Park / Daisy Hill / Cornubia there are still plenty of beautiful properties for sale at good prices compared to closer to the city, and plenty of wide open spaces, parks, facilities.

We have been here 5 yrs now and are very happy and settled.

Of course everyone's circumstances are different, but believe me no matter were you go you will find the unattractive members of the community, so if you want to spend mega dollars on a smaller property closer to the city just for the so called "prestige" of living in one of these suburbs cool, but in my opinion the burbs you mentioned are great for families, and a laid back lifestyle.

Oh by the way, check out the local schools / colleges etc...you will find they are some of the best in and around the Brisbane area....
My head is firmly atop my shoulders and my backside well and truly pointing South. All the advice I gave to the OP was based on personal experience and I stated that it was "my opinion". I've lived for quite a long time in Brisbane and rented for about nine years on the south side and have experience with schools in the area and friends living there. I don't live in Coorparoo because of the "prestige" as you put it, we bought here because it was a pretty good investment choice and also a great lifestyle choice for a family with three small children.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.