Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

South of Rockingham

South of Rockingham

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all
Default South of Rockingham

Hi All,
I've been looking on the realestate at properties in Rockingham, Cooloongup, Warnbro, Port Kennedy, and Secret Harbour. I was very surprised how affordable alot of the houses in each place were.

We're going to do a recci in July (i know it's winter :unsure) but i'd really appreciate some feedback on any of the places i've mentioned before we go, and has anyone had any experiences good or bad.

We've got three kids, boys 13 & 10, and a girl of 2 years old. So i think any of the places mentioned would be fine for them with the beach being quite near to each place.

The only thing i'd have a problem with was if i got a job maybes a good few mile north of Perth, then i'd have a lot of travelling to do.But i'll worry about that if and when we get over.

Thanks
Steve.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all
Default Re: South of Rockingham

Is there no one living in these areas ?

Last edited by pazza; Jan 24th 2009 at 7:56 am.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

isr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really nice

Morning we have just got back from Perth, my sister in-law lives in port kennedy, I have visited secret har and rockingham ( they emphasise the ham ), all the places are nice but you will have to see wich one you get a feel for, we travelled down as far as Busselton,Bunbury & Donnybrook and could not have enjoyed ourselves any more than we did.

Good Luck Iain
Old Jan 24th 2009, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by isr999
Morning we have just got back from Perth, my sister in-law lives in port kennedy, I have visited secret har and rockingham ( they emphasise the ham ), all the places are nice but you will have to see wich one you get a feel for, we travelled down as far as Busselton,Bunbury & Donnybrook and could not have enjoyed ourselves any more than we did.

Good Luck Iain
Hi isr999,
Thanks for the reply, and pleased you enjoyed yourselves.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 7:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pazza
Is there no one living in there areas ?
It's Saturday of a long weekend here. A lot of people in Australia are away and don't bother to check in here during the weekends.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

We started off in Port Kennedy, but went a bit further south to Mandurah (Well Halls Head).

There are plenty of houses here in Halls Head to rent and its a nice quiet place to be.

Any more info, just drop me a message on here.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:17 pm
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Hi All,
I've been looking on the realestate at properties in Rockingham, Cooloongup, Warnbro, Port Kennedy, and Secret Harbour. I was very surprised how affordable alot of the houses in each place were.

We're going to do a recci in July (i know it's winter :unsure) but i'd really appreciate some feedback on any of the places i've mentioned before we go, and has anyone had any experiences good or bad.

We've got three kids, boys 13 & 10, and a girl of 2 years old. So i think any of the places mentioned would be fine for them with the beach being quite near to each place.

The only thing i'd have a problem with was if i got a job maybes a good few mile north of Perth, then i'd have a lot of travelling to do.But i'll worry about that if and when we get over.

Thanks
Steve.
Hi we moved to Secret Harbour in October which I think is the nicest area out of those you mentioned. It's fairly new (has built up over the last 10 years with alot of it being developed in the last 2/3 years I think). My husband drives to Warnbro station where he gets the train into Perth - takes I think 35 mins from Warnbro to Perth on the new train line. Whole journey takes about an hour door to door.

Port Kennedy, Rockingham and Warnbro - have a look when you come and decide for yourself but we were told by alot of people not to look there as there are nicer areas to choose from. However, I know a couple of families that live there and really like it (that's Port Kennedy).

The beach in Secret Harbour is a surf beach which means it's not v safe to swim far out in. I let the kids play in the very shallow water and inbetween the lifeguard flags and it's ok. It is a beautiful beach. Rockingham has a nice shallow beach which I know people from here take their toddlers too, or there are other beaches further south of Mandurah that are calm and good for kids. The view at Rockingham beach isn't as nice as it's a bit more industrial up there.

Halls Head is really nice too (my sister's there) and Mandurah is only 10 mins from there which is good. Mandurah is really nice with lots of shops etc but is much further from Perth.

When you're looking at commuting distances on the map remember that the speed limits over here are lower than the UK - either 100 kilometres p/hour or 80 kph and they enforce them.

I think if you were going to work north of Perth that it would be too far to commute from down here.

Hope that helps a bit
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hi K14,

Thanks for those points. We'll have a good look and decide when we go.
Out of them all i think it'll be between Secret Harbour and Port Kennedy.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi K14,

Thanks for those points. We'll have a good look and decide when we go.
Out of them all i think it'll be between Secret Harbour and Port Kennedy.

Have sent you a PM

Lynne
Old Jan 24th 2009, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by K14
Hi we moved to Secret Harbour in October which I think is the nicest area out of those you mentioned. It's fairly new (has built up over the last 10 years with alot of it being developed in the last 2/3 years I think). My husband drives to Warnbro station where he gets the train into Perth - takes I think 35 mins from Warnbro to Perth on the new train line. Whole journey takes about an hour door to door.

Port Kennedy, Rockingham and Warnbro - have a look when you come and decide for yourself but we were told by alot of people not to look there as there are nicer areas to choose from. However, I know a couple of families that live there and really like it (that's Port Kennedy).

The beach in Secret Harbour is a surf beach which means it's not v safe to swim far out in. I let the kids play in the very shallow water and inbetween the lifeguard flags and it's ok. It is a beautiful beach. Rockingham has a nice shallow beach which I know people from here take their toddlers too, or there are other beaches further south of Mandurah that are calm and good for kids. The view at Rockingham beach isn't as nice as it's a bit more industrial up there.

Halls Head is really nice too (my sister's there) and Mandurah is only 10 mins from there which is good. Mandurah is really nice with lots of shops etc but is much further from Perth.

When you're looking at commuting distances on the map remember that the speed limits over here are lower than the UK - either 100 kilometres p/hour or 80 kph and they enforce them.

I think if you were going to work north of Perth that it would be too far to commute from down here.

Hope that helps a bit
Halls Head is very far to commute to Perth.

Advantage of Port Kennedy (some areas are nice) are the choice of supermarkets (3), post office, vets, docs, 3 chemists, dentist, aquatic centre, Bunnings, furniture shop, pet shop, 2 petrol stations, pub, 3 bottle shops (as if it is important) and a lot more. Plus you get a stunning bay with calm water.

Yet my choice would be Settlers Hills in Baldivis for the reason that the estate is very well maintained, a bit hilly which always adds character, close to freeway and train and the shopping precinct is beeing developped. At the moment there is one Coles and a number of smaller shops (butcher, bank, dental etc) but more commercial construction is on the way. It is about a 5-10 min drive to the beach.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

It is lovely round there. I don't live there but visited last year and looked at those very places. Rockingham has a nice larger shopping area, nice cafes and beach, but you can see the distant Kwinana industry. However, once you get round the corner it is quite lovely. Shoalwater has a lovely beach with little islands in kayaking distance. Port Kennedy, Warnbro and Safety Bay are all quite nice but you get a mixture of houses and a mixture of areas. There are lots of new estates if that's what you like, but plenty of older houses too and a choice of schools. It gets a bit windy there too. Secret Harbour you will either like or not. It's a bit more expensive. Further south is gorgeous, but the commute would be too much I think, unless you scored a job in Rockingham, Mandurah or Bunbury. I think if you get a job north of Perth you would find the commute too much and might have to look at the northern or eastern suburbs.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All,

Thanks
Steve.
What kind of work will you be looking for?
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

I have lived in Oz/Rockingham since Nov last year.
All the areas mentioned are nice, we were intending to settle in Port Kennedy, but chose Rockingham as it has basically everything you'd need, great beaches, all shopping, direct fast rail links to Perth or Mandurah, and plenty to do.
Not really that far to the other places, all within 20 min drive really.
A lot depends how picky you are with schools. The school ours are in a very nice school with a great community spirit, and not too big (Rockingham Beach Primary).
The Rockingham beach that has industry in the (far) distance is actually a great one to swim in and fish in, beautiful clean near white sand, dolphins are regulalarly seen there, and apparently seals and penguins too at the right time of year, it also has a 'prom' and cafe strip etc. But Rockingham has about 6 more beaches, some totally secluded, with mostly totally safe and clean, great snorkelling etc.
I am a surfer, so I am regularly down to Secret Harbour, which is only 15 mins in the car.
We love it here!

Just my 50 cents worth
Gaz
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

katieandpaul74 will become famous soon enough

Hello Steve,

We are heading to Perth for a reccie visit Tuesday. We have an Uncle in Winthrop ( who we are staying with) and friends in Secret Harbour. We have two young boys aged 4 and 1, so a family friendly area is essential to us. Will let you know our thoughts on the area's!! I have a job offer in Freemantle, so we need to find somewhere within easy reach of there.

Katie & Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.