Reload this Page >

South Australia Nursing

Wikiposts

South Australia Nursing

Old Oct 26th 2003, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

metter is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks one and all. Podgypossum you are a star

I am currently on a 'G' grade in UK - the top rate is £27000 approx.
This is about $65137 (at current rates). The Go Matilda calculator states that $47894 would be the amount needed to maintain the same standard of living.

It just strikes me that in Oz the pay seems much better. With 9 years service a level 1 nurse could earn way in excess of the UK 'E' grade pay scale which would be $37800 after the go matilda calculator has done it's thing.

I have been worried that if I can't find the same level of job I could not afford to go. A ward job at staff nurse level now seems very nice - and my current job (being 9-5) does not pay any penalty rates.........Australia here I come..
Old Oct 26th 2003, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by metter
Many thanks one and all. Podgypossum you are a star

I am currently on a 'G' grade in UK - the top rate is £27000 approx.
This is about $65137 (at current rates). The Go Matilda calculator states that $47894 would be the amount needed to maintain the same standard of living.

It just strikes me that in Oz the pay seems much better. With 9 years service a level 1 nurse could earn way in excess of the UK 'E' grade pay scale which would be $37800 after the go matilda calculator has done it's thing.

I have been worried that if I can't find the same level of job I could not afford to go. A ward job at staff nurse level now seems very nice - and my current job (being 9-5) does not pay any penalty rates.........Australia here I come..

Glad to be of help Metter.. i am not sure if the same shifts apply for all types of nursing but my husband is in mental health. They have a good system...2 days on 2 days off!!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by podgypossum
Glad to be of help Metter.. i am not sure if the same shifts apply for all types of nursing but my husband is in mental health. They have a good system...2 days on 2 days off!!
I too am a RMN. Is this paid at Level 1? How ling are the shifts for 2 on 2 off? and finally do you have any hospital names / contact details. Any comments as to how your husband is finding it would be great...

Peter
Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:28 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Podgypossum you are an absolute star!!!

cheers me dears! i owe you a drink when we finally get to adelaide!!

Sue
Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I too am a RMN. Is this paid at Level 1? How ling are the shifts for 2 on 2 off? and finally do you have any hospital names / contact details. Any comments as to how your husband is finding it would be great...

Peter

Yes it is paid at level 1..thats what my husband will be. The shifts are 12hrs......... 2 on 2 off.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I will hunt out contact names in a while...hubby got the job via Geneva Health
Old Oct 26th 2003, 8:43 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi guys,
this is slightly off subject, but not that much. I know I need to get statements from my previous employers stating my length of employment and hours etc, does anyone know how I go about tracking down a company that has now closed? I worked for an agency called HMS nursing personnel here in sheffield in 91-93 (f/t) but they shut years ago! Anyone any ideas?

cheers
sue
Old Oct 26th 2003, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
Podgypossum you are an absolute star!!!

cheers me dears! i owe you a drink when we finally get to adelaide!!

Sue

sue were off to adelaide as well, so we might meet up with you when you get out there, when are you thinking of going

arlene
Old Oct 26th 2003, 9:13 pm

Originally posted by arlene
sue were off to adelaide as well, so we might meet up with you when you get out there, when are you thinking of going

arlene

hi arlene,
that would be lovely but we havnt applied yet and dont intend to go for about another 2 years. hoping to apply in the next 12-18 months though, so who knows!!
when are you going? its soon isnt it?

Sue
Old Oct 27th 2003, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

dog19363 is an unknown quantity at this point

Something for the RMN's to ponder....

If you are single certificate RMN, you need to be aware that there are quite a number of places that require both mental health and general (obviously if you trained in the last few years you're ok, but for those of us a bit older.........).

When I first got here, I thought I would have to re train, but luckily things worked out ok. (One particular area of mental health preferred employing general nurses to single cert RMN's!)

I think it's slightly better now, than a couple of years ago, due to the shortage of mental health nurses starting to really bite.

This info relates only to South Aus

Andy

Adelaide Brits
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by dog19363

If you are single certificate RMN, you need to be aware that there are quite a number of places that require both mental health and general (obviously if you trained in the last few years you're ok, but for those of us a bit older.........).

When I first got here, I thought I would have to re train, but luckily things worked out ok. (One particular area of mental health preferred employing general nurses to single cert RMN's!)

I think it's slightly better now, than a couple of years ago, due to the shortage of mental health nurses starting to really bite.

Andy

Adelaide Brits
Hi Andy

I am an RMN who is project 2000 trained - does this mean I am OK? if so why? is it because they view my training as different or because I have a DipHe?
Seems very unfair to all the experience non-P2K nurses have.
You say this only relates to South Aus - do the states set the requirements or the hospitals themselves?

Many thanks

Peter
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dog19363

Andy

Hi Andy

Although Bill was asked if he had general nursing, when he explained he is an old fart they were fine about it.

I think you are right, they must have loosened up the regulations due to shortfalls.
Adelaide Brits
Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Hi Andy

I am an RMN who is project 2000 trained - does this mean I am OK? if so why? is it because they view my training as different or because I have a DipHe?
Seems very unfair to all the experience non-P2K nurses have.
You say this only relates to South Aus - do the states set the requirements or the hospitals themselves?

Many thanks

Peter
You should be ok if you are p2k, (you'll probably be ok if you're not!)

I say it only relates to South Aus cos I live here! I don't know about other states, and, as far as I know, it's an individual hospital policy

I would assume it's about workforce....if the mental health unit is part of a general hospital, it would be useful if the staff could work anywhere in that hospital.

As I said though, things have changed a lot, and it doesn't matter as much now

Andy
Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Metter

Sorry for the delay in replying with a contact name for RAH. I have been rummaging through all the paperwork and connot find any reference to the names of the two women that interviewed my husband. The best i can come up with is the name of the woman who sent him his letter of conformation of employment.

She is Ms Heidi Silverston.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Which reminds me - I work for a community alcohol team (CPN). Is there much substance misuse work?

Services in SA are provided in the main by the drug and alcohol services council. They are based on Greenhill Road.

They have a number of services...inpatient and outpatient.

Services seem to be a lot more focused on inpatients than I was used to in the UK. There are two large detox facilities run by DASC, just down the road from each other O. Community services are not split ie not drug and alcohol services as opposed to drug services and alcohol services.
GP's don't seem to be as involved as in the UK either

Andy

Adelaide Brits