Reload this Page >

military service

military service

Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

roiboit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default military service

Hello everybody,

We are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as far as gathering forms, assessments etc. and so have started filling out the application form 47 for skilled independant. We have run into a slight problem about what to answer concerning my husband's mandatory military service (France still had this until 3-4 yrs ago).
Obviously we have answered yes to Q51 and have supplied his discharge form, but must he answer yes to the last option in Q49 (served in a military force/military training) ? I think yes but as it is really on the list of "bad" thing that flag a possible migration problem that my husband says no - this is more for mercenaries!

Any insight would be appreciated!
Old Oct 28th 2003, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

mikel is an unknown quantity at this point

I did 2 year service in a southern African para-miltatry unit in which training with Russian/chinese and NATO weapons was given, I stated that on my application and got PR in July this year, I think as it was official defence force at the time it was not a problem.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

I also stated i had military experience. and advanced small arms weapons skills. Tell the truth.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 12:46 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

if it is mandatory military service then they will be aware that this was French policy up to recently.I am guessing he did the 10 months on french soil?.Presuming it was regular military.Apart from that should be fine (if he had opted for overseas service then they may need to be aware of this)
Old Oct 28th 2003, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

roiboit is an unknown quantity at this point

So yes it is !
Thanks to everybody - we won't agonize over this any more!
Old Oct 28th 2003, 6:04 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: military service

Originally posted by roiboit
Hello everybody,

We are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as far as gathering forms, assessments etc. and so have started filling out the application form 47 for skilled independant. We have run into a slight problem about what to answer concerning my husband's mandatory military service (France still had this until 3-4 yrs ago).
Obviously we have answered yes to Q51 and have supplied his discharge form, but must he answer yes to the last option in Q49 (served in a military force/military training) ? I think yes but as it is really on the list of "bad" thing that flag a possible migration problem that my husband says no - this is more for mercenaries!

Any insight would be appreciated!
HI,
My agent recommended that i put "yes" to your question.
Even though the only "military" training i'd has was with the Air Training Corps between 1980 and 1983 (When i was 13-15 )The funny thing was the fact i had to go back to the unit last year to be officially discharged 19 years later .
You should have seen the officers faces when i had to explain why i was there.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:02 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Arron
HI,
My agent recommended that i put "yes" to your question.
Even though the only "military" training i'd has was with the Air Training Corps between 1980 and 1983 (When i was 13-15 )The funny thing was the fact i had to go back to the unit last year to be officially discharged 19 years later .
You should have seen the officers faces when i had to explain why i was there.

i too was in the army cadets from 13 to 15, i might aswell go back and ask for a discharge paper.

never thought i would see the inside of that place again.

Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:08 pm

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i too was in the army cadets from 13 to 15, i might aswell go back and ask for a discharge paper.

never thought i would see the inside of that place again.
Hi Wbb.
As i hadn't officially been discharged i was told i was now their longest serving cadet , and could they have my 19 years "subs" arrears

Arron
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:16 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Arron
Hi Wbb.
As i hadn't officially been discharged i was told i was now their longest serving cadet , and could they have my 19 years "subs" arrears

Arron

subs??

our cadet service was free apart from the annual summer camps at salisbury plains.....which cost £15, bargain for a two week break with your mates.

looks like you have beaten my service, if i go down to get discharged i will have served approx 18 years.

Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:37 pm

"subs" was about 50p per week. Plus the costs of annual camp.
Spent a week once at RAF Brize Norton in Oxford, best holiday i've ever had.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:22 pm
Badge

no worries about cadet forces - they don't need to know. My view:

If your service was kosher enough to have got you a "number" then it is good enough to put down on the form:
- the fact you have a number means your unit was probably fair dinkum and they have no reason to think you are a mercenary..

might even go some way to a positive character assessement; you've served the "community", fostered teamwork etc, from an Aussie perspective you're more unlikely to be a bludger/whinger/old girl's blouse

badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Oct 28th 2003 at 10:34 pm.