Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sounds like its OK to thwack those cane toads!

Sounds like its OK to thwack those cane toads!

Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:34 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Sounds like its OK to thwack those cane toads!

Originally Posted by Sue2
How many minutes
Just enough until you hear the bang!
Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sounds like its OK to thwack those cane toads!

Originally Posted by Carruss

What a nice mess

Sue
Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:40 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Carruss
When they explode they leave quite a mess of blood, guts and other bodymatter all over the microwave walls and window.

Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
When they explode they leave quite a mess of blood, guts and other bodymatter all over the microwave walls and window.

I think I`ll stick with the air gun

Sue
Old Apr 12th 2005, 12:26 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bodger
Animal welfare groups recommend putting them in the freezer until they die. Isn't that worse than whacking 'em :scared:
No, it's the humane way to kill something. The cold temp sends them to sleep. They feel no pain this way, just go into coma then die

batting something with a cricket bat takes a few whacks and is not instant death.

This is also how you kill mudcrubs too if you don't drop them in a large boiling pot , you put them in the freezer

That's all we need is a load of idiots running around with air guns shooting everything that moves
( there is also one native frog here that gets mistaken for a cane toad by some people )

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 12th 2005 at 12:33 am.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 12:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The Dove Family
Wahey - hubby's just said he's going to look forward to buying an air gun and popping them off one by one!!!
Just in case it isn't realised, an air rifle is a prescribed firearm in most States, (if not all), which means a Firearm licence is required. I'm not sure about the UK these days, but anyone could own one when I was young(er)

Old Apr 12th 2005, 12:47 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was living in Brissie a few years back, we got told putting them in the freezer was the most humane way of killing the toads also. My Mums Hubby at the time (long story!!) went around with an ice cream container and caught a whole load of them and put them in the bottom of the chest freezer we had in the laundry.

A few weeks later, Mum went to the freezer for some ice cream....yup, you guessed it. She took the ice cream container into the kitchen and sat it on the bench. Got the bowls and spoons out for everyone then, opened the lid to the ice cream container.

I honestly have never heard a scream like it!!!! :scared: Bowls & spoons went flying, ice cream container goes flying and about 10 cane toad popcicles hit the ceiling and bounced and slid around the kitchen floor...

I havent laughed so hard since!!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 1:01 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hels
When I was living in Brissie a few years back, we got told putting them in the freezer was the most humane way of killing the toads also. My Mums Hubby at the time (long story!!) went around with an ice cream container and caught a whole load of them and put them in the bottom of the chest freezer we had in the laundry.

A few weeks later, Mum went to the freezer for some ice cream....yup, you guessed it. She took the ice cream container into the kitchen and sat it on the bench. Got the bowls and spoons out for everyone then, opened the lid to the ice cream container.

I honestly have never heard a scream like it!!!! :scared: Bowls & spoons went flying, ice cream container goes flying and about 10 cane toad popcicles hit the ceiling and bounced and slid around the kitchen floor...

I havent laughed so hard since!!
lol

to be honest I don't think they are ever going to get rid of the cane toad. When we were excavating our land with the bob cat , turning the soil over- millions of cane toads were hoping every where, buried beneath the soil. For every one you see there another 100 or more you don't see.

They've had some limited success in some areas by locating the ponds ( they need ponds for the eggs) by removing the spawn, and have seen numbers drop quite a bit. But going around whacking cane toads is just a drop in the ocean - there are too many of them, and you don't get see all of them. Even in our rock retaining walls there are some - they come out at night, they crawl inbetween the gaps in the wall.

Unless they find some sort of virus which only attacks cane toads and no other frogs , I can't see them ever getting rid of it - there are too many of them.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 1:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ceri
Unless they find some sort of virus which only attacks cane toads and no other frogs , I can't see them ever getting rid of it - there are too many of them.
Don't start giving these governments any ideas !! They'll do just that, and then find a few years down the track that they've created something else that cant be stopped.

Having said that though, I did hear about someone who created something that would kill of the entire mossie population. They didn't go any further though, just in case it caused unforseen problems with the food chain. Maybe Rabbits and Cane Toads have taught them something

Hels: Your frozen cane toad desert made me laugh too

Old Apr 12th 2005, 1:16 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup hubby whacked one with his golf club the other day....and boy did it travel.............he wishes the golf balls traveled as far.....hmm a new sport I wonder lol
Old Apr 12th 2005, 1:18 am
Account Closed

I seem to remember someone a few years back finding a way to use the skin of the toads to make a type of leather for bags, shoes etc.

Cant see too many wanting to wear toadskin so not sure how well it took off...

(wishing there was a throw up smilie)
Old Apr 12th 2005, 1:22 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Don't start giving these governments any ideas !! They'll do just that, and then find a few years down the track that they've created something else that cant be stopped.

Having said that though, I did hear about someone who created something that would kill of the entire mossie population. They didn't go any further though, just in case it caused unforseen problems with the food chain. Maybe Rabbits and Cane Toads have taught them something

Hels: Your frozen cane toad desert made me laugh too
are they mad?? kill all the mozzies and you will see countless of animals go down - lizards, fish, native frogs. Countless of animals feed on Mozzies.

I think they'll just have to adapt to the cane toad myself, over time ( hundreds of years)you may see animals building up a resitence to them. The crows have adapted to them - worked out the way to eat them is through the mouth, and the magpie I believe who turns the toad on it's back and eats through the belly. Isn't there a snake where which can eat them - can't remeber which species it is though

Mongoose and snake factor.

Yes, they make cane toad purses out of them, I bought a couple for pressies a few years ago - one for my fav person - my mum in law lol ( she hates frogs and toads - they scare her)

http://www.univenter.com/cane-toad.html ( one company who has them , I didn't buy mine off this guy though, can't find the shop I bought mine off)

P.s - found it, this is where I ordered mine from http://www.roopooco.com/toad_intro.htm I bought a couple of purses for people and a bum bag for my father - my father actually wore his to a posh nobbers art auction ( he's an antique dealer) - apparently he had some odd looks/stares, but everyone was too polite to mention the toad around his waist lol

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 12th 2005 at 1:30 am.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ceri
factor.

Yes, they make cane toad purses out of them, I bought a couple for pressies a few years ago - one for my fav person - my mum in law lol ( she hates frogs and toads - they scare her)

http://www.univenter.com/cane-toad.html ( one company who has them , I didn't buy mine off this guy though, can't find the shop I bought mine off)

P.s - found it, this is where I ordered mine from, I bought a couple of purses for people and a bum bag for my father - my father actually wore his to a posh nobbers aution ( he's an antique dealer)

They are just nasty!!!

We always loved it when it rained in Brissy. You knew the toads were going to be out so, in the car we would jump and off we would go and try to run as many over as possible!! They make an awesome POP!!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 1:33 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hels
They are just nasty!!!

We always loved it when it rained in Brissy. You knew the toads were going to be out so, in the car we would jump and off we would go and try to run as many over as possible!! They make an awesome POP!!
lmao we do that too............if the sqwelched we were awee bugger.....but if they pop we were like woooo hoooo hehe

we used to say to the kids quick jump in the car it toad squishin weather lol
Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Although I have not tried it yet apparently sraying them with dettol works pretty quickly. Will let you know if I ever remember to buy any. Also watch your trainers if you leave them outside.The huge bugger didn't want to come out, must have caught sight of the spade . Karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.