Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sound Problem When Using Web Cam.

Sound Problem When Using Web Cam.

Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all
Smile Sound Problem When Using Web Cam.

I'm using MSN Messenger 6.2 on broadband as is the person I'm trying to connect to. We can get pictures both ways but no sound. We've tried the Web Cam and Audio connects but no sound.

Any ideas ? Or is someone who has it working willing to try and see and hear me please ??

Thanks

Chris
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sound Problem When Using Web Cam.

Originally Posted by eintracht
I'm using MSN Messenger 6.2 on broadband as is the person I'm trying to connect to. We can get pictures both ways but no sound. We've tried the Web Cam and Audio connects but no sound.

Any ideas ? Or is someone who has it working willing to try and see and hear me please ??

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris,

I don't use the Messenger so I can only suggest narrowing it down ...

1) Make sure the microphone is working by using the in-built sound recorder

2) Check the "recording" level is set high enough in the "sounds and audio devices" control panel program.

3) Check the "recording" source is correctly selected in the "sounds and audio devices" control panel program.

Have you used the mic successfully before?

Good Luck!
Matt
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

Tried all those options, thanks. Yes my speakers work. Thats why I was after somebody to test it with who has had it working.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:28 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Chris
It's a problem with MSN not liking your security. I have the same trouble and gave up in the end. I now use MSN for IM and video, with Skype for the sound. They work well together and the sound quality on Skype is very good over a standard 512k connection.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

traceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant future

We had the same problem but have sorted it.

Have you tried:

Click on start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Click on Voice tab, (then check that whats written in here is the correct devices) then click on Test Harware and go through the wizard.

If all this fails - plug in a seperate microphone (cost about £3 from just about anywhere).

MSN messenger works fine with us and we are in regular contact with sister in oz.

Good luck!

Tracey
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

It appears to be the Firewal I am using (Zone Alarm). When I disabled this the visual and audio parts worked fine even if a bit distorted so we tried skype and it is much much clearer. However skype audio does not work with my firewall on either !!!
Just investigating buying a different piece of software for my Firewall.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 12:28 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

It appears to be the Firewal I am using (Zone Alarm). When I disabled this the visual and audio parts worked fine even if a bit distorted so we tried skype and it is much much clearer. However skype audio does not work with my firewall on either !!!
Did you tell Zonealarm to allow Skype to act as a server?
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:14 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
It's a problem with MSN not liking your security. I have the same trouble and gave up in the end. I now use MSN for IM and video, with Skype for the sound. They work well together and the sound quality on Skype is very good over a standard 512k connection.

hey wayne

How did you perswade the mother in law to get broadband

laura
x
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:35 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Haven't used Skype before so don't know much about it but you probably just need to open the TCP ports that skype is using to communicate to the server. Checkout the Skype help files and they should tell you how to set the incoming and outgoing ports that it will use. Then configure your firewall to enable these ports to be used by Skype.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:36 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hey wayne

How did you perswade the mother in law to get broadband

laura
x
Hard cash

Actually I just moved my account to their phone line and I'll continue paying the bill.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:38 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by elksa
Haven't used Skype before so don't know much about it but you probably just need to open the TCP ports that skype is using to communicate to the server. Checkout the Skype help files and they should tell you how to set the incoming and outgoing ports that it will use. Then configure your firewall to enable these ports to be used by Skype.
Skype basically just works without opening ports usually. However, I have seen one installation where the user couldn't register an account from behind his firewall. I registered him from mine and he can now log on happily. Not sure what different things happen between registering and a regular logon but something must be different.
Perhaps you could try shutting down Zonealarm just to register, then fire it back up as soon as you're done?
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:38 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Hard cash

Actually I just moved my account to their phone line and I'll continue paying the bill.

nice one, bet your happier now!

If using skype for sound and you disable zone alarm do you not need a mic?

I still havent got round to buying a mike yet, but is there anyway to get sound without having one?

laura
x
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:52 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Checkout the Skype firewall help file below.

http://www.skype.com/help/guides/firewall.html

This should sort your problem out. Wouldn't reccommend opening all outgoing TCP ports as your computer can then be used to propogate malicious software and viruses on to others.

Good luck, hope you get it working.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:15 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
nice one, bet your happier now!

If using skype for sound and you disable zone alarm do you not need a mic?

I still havent got round to buying a mike yet, but is there anyway to get sound without having one?

laura
x
Was well chuffed last night when the 'link' light on my router lit up
A lot of webcams have a mic built in these days.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:16 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by elksa
Wouldn't reccommend opening all outgoing TCP ports as your computer can then be used to propogate malicious software and viruses on to others.
That's good advice. Skype uses one random port (around the 54,000 mark) by default but you can force it to port 80 (which is the one used for regular web surfing and hence already open).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.