Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sound like a fool!

sound like a fool!

Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:06 pm
Oz won't no whats hit em!

lindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant future
Default sound like a fool!

hiya,

I went for a walk with my best friend yesterday, she comes from New Zealand but has spent a lot of time in Australia, While we were out we were talking about my impending move to Oz and she asked, me if i'd ever use the phrase, 'G'day Mate' i tried it out, and sounded like the biggest fool ever! so i think its safe to say, that will never being coming out of my mouth again!

do anybody else have any ozzy phrases they are adament they won't be using when they touch down?

luv linda xx
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:13 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: sound like a fool!

Originally Posted by lindaclaire
hiya,

I went for a walk with my best friend yesterday, she comes from New Zealand but has spent a lot of time in Australia, While we were out we were talking about my impending move to Oz and she asked, me if i'd ever use the phrase, 'G'day Mate' i tried it out, and sounded like the biggest fool ever! so i think its safe to say, that will never being coming out of my mouth again!

do anybody else have any ozzy phrases they are adament they won't be using when they touch down?

luv linda xx
You will say it !
I just slipped outa you gob about 5 months in to my 1st trip in Aus when a neighbour said G' Day

I sounded like a true bloody aussy too
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Ya bloomin mongrel !!

Was it Alf Stewart in Home and Away that used to say that??
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve G
Ya bloomin mongrel !!

oh yeah darl, that'd be right!!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:28 pm

lindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant future
Talking Re: sound like a fool!

Ya bloomin mongrel !!

lol yeah thats a good one! hope i don't say any of these mentioned! my aunt said to me about two weeks ago, that if i ring her from australia and sound like Kylie, she's putting the phone down!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 10:04 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindaclaire
hiya,

luv linda xx

struth

just were would you use it?
Old Oct 10th 2005, 10:08 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

LOOK I'm looking forward to starting many a sentence with the word look !
Old Oct 10th 2005, 10:16 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

no matter how much you try you will end up saying things like

'how ya going?'

'g'day'

'bloody oath'

'no wucking furries' ;-)

'she'll be right'

and so on.......
Old Oct 10th 2005, 10:16 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Ya bloomin mongrel !!

Naah Alfs favourite used to be "Ya flaming galah!!"

Last edited by Linda Lushardi; Oct 10th 2005 at 10:17 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 10th 2005, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carkedit
and so on.......
Crikey - I already say that now!!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Perthforme
LOOK I'm looking forward to starting many a sentence with the word look !
it slips in without even realising it,

you will also answer most personal questions with 'good' or 'it's all good'

i.e. How ya goin'? good

how was your weekend? good

how is work? it's all good

you think you won't - but you will

My husband now says 'lounge room' instead of just lounge - 30 years of speaking lost in a few months

and no worries, say it 'a lot'

Last edited by Shellfish; Oct 11th 2005 at 12:15 am.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Shellfish

and no worries, say it 'a lot'
I alread ysay this far much more than i should! and i say heaps all the time too!

Its already happeneing and im not even in the country yet!!
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:51 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

The other saying I have started using again since coming home to Oz is "Too right!!" or "Too bloody right!"

Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:57 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
The other saying I have started using again since coming home to Oz is "Too right!!" or "Too bloody right!"

when i was out there yonks ago - i noticed that everyone used to open a conversation by saying "How's it going" and the response was always "good thanks".
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

In EVERY shop you go in you will be asked........'hi, haw, ya going', replying 'good, and yourself'. I felt a right tit at first, but you get used ti it.
Whean i returned ti the UK earlier this year, I was being served in Tescoes and automatically asked the assistant how her day was going. She looked at me as if I had 3 heads!!!

I have also started saying.......'far out' when something shocks me. This is also habit as I used to say 'bloodhell' or 'F***inghell'
SO, as you can see my language has improved tenfold!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.