Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sorry another tax question

Sorry another tax question

Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice
Default Sorry another tax question

I started working 13th April 2009 in Australia Qld. So far I have earned $8500 and paid tax of $1400. I informed centre link of my UK earnings before arriving in Australia (1st July 2008 - 1st April 2009) as being $54,000 (£27,000).

So for the purpose of centre link I have earned between 1st July - 31st June 2009 $62,500.

Ok, so the Tax question and I hope it makes sense.

When I do my tax return will I rreceivethe tax back that I have paid so far ($1400) as I have only earned $8500 while in OZ or do they add my UK money into account and say I have earned the $62,500 and therefore I get no tax return?

Cheers guys
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:43 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Sorry another tax question

The Tax man (ATO) is not interested in your UK earnings prior to becoming tax resident.

It is only Centrelink that use that info for their side of things.

Your Tax due on taxable income is $1,050.00
less
Low income tax offset $1,200.00

= NO tax due, full refund of the amount paid.

Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

Is that right?
So because I earned a few cents below the medicare levy surcharge threshold last year, I'm exempt because the prior UK earnings (which take me over the threshold) aren't counted?
Wa-hey!!

Now I just have to get my head round doing my first ever UK self-assessment tax return for 08-09.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The Tax man (ATO) is not interested in your UK earnings prior to becoming tax resident.

It is only Centrelink that use that info for their side of things.

Your Tax due on taxable income is $1,050.00
less
Low income tax offset $1,200.00

= NO tax due, full refund of the amount paid.
Thanks very much for that. So do you think there is any point in going to a Tax advisor this year to do my return as there should be nothing for them to sort out? Or should I do my own return and save myself another $150

Cheers
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fa kin su pa
Thanks very much for that. So do you think there is any point in going to a Tax advisor this year to do my return as there should be nothing for them to sort out? Or should I do my own return and save myself another $150

Cheers
It's straightforward enough to do it yourself if you have download etax. Given that you should get it all back I'd go with etax - then perhaps if things become a little more complicated in this current tax year us an agent. It is straightforward just a matter of personal preference.

Mx
Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fa kin su pa

Cheers
Send me $50 and i'll repeat the figures above

I think you may be OK to do your own, although.... I am just trying to think what Tax rebates you may be able to get on top of the full refund......

Do you have school kids, and purchased them a computer, or did they use the internet ? There may be some other things, but my brain doesn't feel like it is on top gear today... You know you sometimes think that you are missing something, but can't figure out why ... Well, that's me just now.

Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Send me $50 and i'll repeat the figures above

I think you may be OK to do your own, although.... I am just trying to think what Tax rebates you may be able to get on top of the full refund......

Do you have school kids, and purchased them a computer, or did they use the internet ? There may be some other things, but my brain doesn't feel like it is on top gear today... You know you sometimes think that you are missing something, but can't figure out why ... Well, that's me just now.
Yes we do use internet and have brought school books, pens etc (son just started new school when we arrived) I understand that I can also claim for millage, Uniform washing, however, as I get all the money back I have paid so far would there be any point in adding these. How can I get back more than I have paid? It was suggested to add them to this years and say I forgot last year (can that be done) LOL

Last edited by fa kin su pa; Jul 24th 2009 at 6:49 am. Reason: add lol
Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:57 am
ABCDiamond

The education rebate may be claimable on top

There are Tax Deductions and Tax Offsets, that can be claimed in your Australian tax return.

A Tax Deduction is normally an expense that you offset against income, which reduces your taxable income, and therefore your total tax paid. Examples of these are:
  • Outdoor workers can claim Sunprotection costs.
  • Overtime workers can claim a meal allowance.
  • Travel between two places of work can be claimed, but not home to work.

Tax Offsets are generally lump sums that will be paid to you for various costs incurred, or as grants made by the Australian Tax Office. Some examples of these are:
The education expenses may be able to be claimed by you aswell.

I suggest you run it through e-tax, claiming the education things, if applicable, and see how it comes up.

Your mileage and washing etc., can't be done, as that is a deduction against income.

Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

The education rebate may be claimable on top

The education expenses may be able to be claimed by you aswell.

I suggest you run it through e-tax, claiming the education things, if applicable, and see how it comes up.

Your mileage and washing etc., can't be done, as that is a deduction against income.
Thanks mate your a star
Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

This is mainly to ABC Diamond. Great info on his web site, including tax matters. However, is the $120k annual salary calculation right when working for 6 months. I quote:
However, at the end of the year, the correct figures for a gross wage of $60,000 would be:
$3,000 tax free
$14,000 at 15% = $2,100
$46,000 at 30% = $13,800
Total Tax Due $15,900

Surely you would get the full $6000 tax free and $29000 at 15% as these are annual income allowances.

Also (as I have hijacked this thread I will ask one more.
I lost a lot of money on my UK pension last year since we came to Oz in August. Can I declare the loss (don't think so). Next year may see some growth due to recovery. Do I have to claim the growth for the tax year, or can I ignore any growth until it gets back to what it was worth when entering Oz. Otherwise if there is boom and bust every couple of years (where the bust is bigger than the boom) you will pay tax on money you will never see.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by carlap
This is mainly to ABC Diamond. Great info on his web site, including tax matters. However, is the $120k annual salary calculation right when working for 6 months. I quote:
However, at the end of the year, the correct figures for a gross wage of $60,000 would be:
$3,000 tax free
$14,000 at 15% = $2,100
$46,000 at 30% = $13,800
Total Tax Due $15,900

Surely you would get the full $6000 tax free and $29000 at 15% as these are annual income allowances.
You are correct, I overstated the tax on that example. It should have been $12,450 + $900 Medicare = $13,350

Accurate comparison examples are:
Resident for full year
$120,000 = $34,000 Tax

Resident for full year, worked for 6 months
$60,000 = $12,000 Tax

Part year resident for 6 months.
$60,000 = 12,450 Tax
Actually I totally stuffed that earlier example that you quoted!
I am surprised that no one noticed that 3k + 14k + 46k adds up to more than 60k !!

That was done on Mar 3rd 2009, 9:50 pm. I must have been getting tired. I hate it when I make a mistake as stupid as that..

Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

I did see the totals didn't add up to $60k but forgot to mention it.

However, my original question was whether the allowance should have been half for the 6 months wage eg $3000 rather than $6000 tax free allowance. But then I read that you only get a pro-rata reduction.

So, you kind of said I was right in that your calculation was wrong, but I think (and could you confirm please) that the allowance you give are half due to the example of working for 6 months BUT this is assuming you are resident for just 6 months. If you worked for 6 months, but were resident for the whole year, you would get the full allowance.

Hope this is clear !!

Last edited by carlap; Jul 26th 2009 at 4:30 am.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Also (as I have hijacked this thread I will ask one more.
I lost a lot of money on my UK pension last year since we came to Oz in August. Can I declare the loss (don't think so). Next year may see some growth due to recovery. Do I have to claim the growth for the tax year, or can I ignore any growth until it gets back to what it was worth when entering Oz. Otherwise if there is boom and bust every couple of years (where the bust is bigger than the boom) you will pay tax on money you will never see.
I have no experience specifically of Australia, but I honestly cannot imagine there is a country that taxes on unrealised gains and losses such as you describe. Otheriwse people would be paying tax on rise and falls in things like house prices, whether or not they actually sell the house.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your query, my comment is based on my assuming you have a pension pot probably invested in shares and the value of your shares is going up and down one year to the next.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 9:40 am
ABCDiamond

I did see the totals didn't add up to $60k but forgot to mention it.

However, my original question was whether the allowance should have been half for the 6 months wage eg $3000 rather than $6000 tax free allowance. But then I read that you only get a pro-rata reduction.

So, you kind of said I was right in that your calculation was wrong, but I think (and could you confirm please) that the allowance you give are half due to the example of working for 6 months BUT this is assuming you are resident for just 6 months. If you worked for 6 months, but were resident for the whole year, you would get the full allowance.

Hope this is clear !!
It's only the $6,000 tax free bit that is pro-rata, due to residency only, hence my 'total' stuff up.

Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

scott4526 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone help!

My mother in law in england recieved a letter today saying that i owe the tax office 8000 pounds from two years ago. I was only in business for 10 months before moving to oz on a 457. At the moment iam applying for PR .

1. Will this affect my PR application.

2. What will happen now will they go through ATO.

Any info will be gratefully recieved.

I intend on paying this debt just hoping it doesnt affect my visa.

Thanks

Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.