Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sooooooo confused...

Sooooooo confused...

Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:57 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sooooooo confused...

Is anyone else struggling regarding the choice of where to live in Oz?
Ive been researching Adelaide for a while now and until recently thats where i had my heart set on (when oh finally stops dragging his heels about going...but i think im getting there ) but then i got into reading about Brisbane and other Queensland areas mmmm and today and i dont know why but Ive been reading up on Victoria- Melbourne and areas! Ive never ever had the desire to go there let alone research the place but today Ive been looking on threads and websites and ya know what Victoria sound bloody good!!
Then i think about ole Adelaide my first ozzy love .... lol
aaaarghhhhhhh!!!!!
So is anybody else struggling on which areas they want to go to? or is it just me?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sooooooo confused...

I hate to see posts ignored

I think it's very difficult if you have the choice of anywhere. For us it was simple - OH and I met in Sydney in 1989, left a year later intending to get back asap but life (and 3 kids) got in the way. When we started thinking about "coming back" it was always back to Sydney, we never considered anywhere else.

There are so many pros and cons to different places and only you will know what suits your individual circumstances. I guess where the main earner can get the best job is a good place to start. Also think very carefully about the cost of housing. We absolutely love being back in Sydney but housing is Soooo expensive! In some ways it would have been better if we hadn't started off in such a nice (and expensive) area, settled our kids in school etc. It's amazing how quickly you start to put down roots. Getting to work is also a big thing - OH used to have a 2 hour commute and now it's an hour so he's very happy, but lots of people think an hour's commute is a lot. Don't just look at distances, especially if anyone is driving - it's the traffic that counts.

This really is the best place to get info I think. Read as much as you can about other people's experiences but at the end of the day only you will be living your life!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Racht70
Ive been researching Adelaide for a while now and until recently thats where i had my heart set on (when oh finally stops dragging his heels about going...but i think im getting there ) but then i got into reading about Brisbane and other Queensland areas mmmm and today and i dont know why but Ive been reading up on Victoria- Melbourne and areas! Ive never ever had the desire to go there let alone research the place but today Ive been looking on threads and websites and ya know what Victoria sound bloody good!!
aaaarghhhhhhh!!!!!
So is anybody else struggling on which areas they want to go to? or is it just me?
Hi, like someone has said it all down to what you are looking for, and jobs etc.
We are in Adelaide not our first choice, That would have been queensland a few yrs ago.
Adelaide is good if you are looking to sort of take a few step's back in the pace of life, but most best opportunities are in the bigger city's for most.
At first Adelaide has everything you need its only after a long time you start to realise things are missing slightly. Again depends who you are.
Have you been to oz yet and had a look at different places, that can help more. good luck
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:47 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

All very well telling us that you love the idea of Adelaide, or Brisbane or Melbourne -

but WHY? What is it exactly that attracts you to those places? Give some serious thought to the positicve and negative aspects of each place. Dont rely of glossy marketing speils from tourist organistion either - find out the nitty gritty (asking around here is a good start)!

Try and work out what it is that you are looking for, Do want to be close to the beach? Do you prefer mountains? Can you handle sauna like hummidty? Do you mind having a long commute? Do you want to watch international bands play live?

Probably the most important question is Can you afford to live there? - and that pretty much means Can you get a job?...

Only really by really thinking hard about all of these things can you begin to narrow down possible choices.

If at all possible come for a holiday and look for yourself! Theres no substitute for having a real look around and really seeing what its like.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Too much choice?!!!
Luckily my husband's job brought us here. He's in the oil business so it was either Perth or here in Melbourne and Perth was out of the question.
I'm so pleased we're here and will be pushing up daisies here too!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Ive been here 2 years and still feel like that! I know Adelaide is not my dream home....but have been weighing up where to go from here....Atleast in the first place I had no choice! But I will be visiting Sydney again shortly even though I spent six weeks there a few years ago... just for a closer look....its the best way if you can do it...

If not then look at whats important to you? do you want to live in a big country town? or city? do you want shopping or nightlife? country beach? and ofcourse where is the work??
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:45 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Racht70
aaaarghhhhhhh!!!!!

Oz is a big place and nowhere is perfect. You have to decide for yourself. Adelaide doesn't interest me at all, but you sound like you like it, so give it a try. I live in Perth and don't like it either Go to Queensland....no go to NSW.....oh choices, choices!