Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Soon to be expat!

Soon to be expat!

Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Ntycame is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Soon to be expat!

Well I'm currently shitting it for want of a better word but also SO excited, and it's really feeling 'right' too!

I'm planning to go on a WHV and spend the time working as a nurse, and hopefully get a place on the graduate nurse program (currently applying to the queensland area, and will be looking up NSW when it opens!) and then if i like it so much here..stay!

I'm really nervous but it's the right time in my life to do this..and if i don't do it now, I never will!

Just a few questions

- How easy was it to make friends? I'm 21, single and my friends were sort of 'given' to me when i started university, but moving to a new area won't be so easy!
- Renting, I'm expecting to be maybe staying in a backpackers hostel for a couple of weeks till I find a place (although I'm hoping to get placed in a hospital which would have onsite staff accomodation!) where are the best sites to find rooms for rent/flatmates etc?
- Get a job first or visa first?! Which way round should you do it?!

I'm sure i'll have tons of more questions, I'm sort of glad i'm doing it with no mortgage, kids and the only debts I have will be my student loan, student credit card & overdraft
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Soon to be expat!

Not wishing to rain on your parade but suggest you read this regarding Uni fees

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711747
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Ntycame is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rossi
Not wishing to rain on your parade but suggest you read this regarding Uni fees

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711747
Hi It's not a 'student' position the graduate course, but more of a program the for newly qualified nurses to help the transition from student to working etc.

The UK do it also, called the preceptorship package- it's a job, but a study program within a job!

So don't worry..no fees to pay!
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are asking the wrong questions and might need to do a little bit more homework.

Are you sure you are going to be able to move on a WHV and then get onto a graduate nurse program? This struck me as highly unlikely so I have checked Queensland graduate nurse program and it seems pretty clear they are only interested in domestic candidates.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/ocno/do...ectus_2011.pdf
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 6:11 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

You won't get graduate nursing work on a WHV.

there are also literally hundreds of thousands of people in your position doing anything just to make ends meat.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems it may be hard to get on that graduate programme but to give you some hope for the future my wife and I just had a baby in Brisbane and the midwife roster was chocked full of midwives from the uk. They told me the hospital was on another recruitment drive in the uk at the moment. One midwife said 15 midwives from her hospital in the midlands had emigrated to Brisbane. All of them were skilled and lovely and I can't help think they are a great loss to the uk. Maybe you could join them once you have the appropriate visa.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that you look more carefully into wether you will qualify for registration in Australia if you are newly qualified. You really need to sort this out before you come over as it can take months to arrange. Have a look at the nurses part of the forum for more info on applying to AHPRA.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

It is not impossible to get on to a gradutae program from the UK but it is highly competitive & preference will be given to those who have trained here.

I would also suggest that you make enquiries to see if agencies will take you on as newly qualified & think how you will feel being thrown in at the deep end.

Personally, my advice would be to get a couple of years experience in the UK & then come over.

Can't give any advice re accomodation etc until you have a better idea where in QLD you are planning to head to. It's quite a big state!