Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Somewhere nice to go from Brisbane?

Somewhere nice to go from Brisbane?

Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:49 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Somewhere nice to go from Brisbane?

Myself and Mr ML are looking for somewhere to go this weekend that we've not been before. We've done a lot of the obvious stuff (Beaches, Australia Zoo, Southbank, markets, theme parks etc) and so were looking for ideas of what else there is.

My only criteria is that its less than a couple of hours drive, and that its not overly pricey!

If anyone's done any good walks, been to any good places, seen any good things I'd be interested to hear!

Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:06 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Somewhere nice to go from Brisbane?

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Myself and Mr ML are looking for somewhere to go this weekend that we've not been before. We've done a lot of the obvious stuff (Beaches, Australia Zoo, Southbank, markets, theme parks etc) and so were looking for ideas of what else there is.

My only criteria is that its less than a couple of hours drive, and that its not overly pricey!

If anyone's done any good walks, been to any good places, seen any good things I'd be interested to hear!

We went to a lovely pub for Friday lunch last week Michelle. Lovley atmosphere, overlooking the water, fantastic food and wine. Bit of a cosy pub ...reminded me of a village pub in UK.

It's just past Raby bay and I think it was right at the end of a spit? I'm not sure what it's called...think it had "Rose" in the name of it?...maybe "Rose and Crown"?

I was driven there..... so didn't take much notice of the name....and was p*ssed as a fart coming back....so I'm as much use as a chocolate teapot on the name of it. Maybe someone on here knows the pub/restaurant name?

Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:08 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
We went to a lovely pub last week Michelle. Lovley atmosphere, overlooking the water, fantastic food and wine. Bit of a cosy pub ...reminded me of a village pub in UK.

It's just past Raby bay and I think it was right at the end of a spit? I'm not sure what it's called...think it had "Rose" in the name of it?...maybe "Rose and Crown"?

I was driven there..... so didn't take much notice of the name....and was p*ssed as a fart coming back....so I'm as much use as a chocolate teapot on the name of it. Maybe someone on here knows the pub/restaurant name?

Excellent thanks, exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for - something thats maybe not on the tourist map but worth going to
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:41 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Excellent thanks, exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for - something thats maybe not on the tourist map but worth going to
No probs M.

I'll ring my friend when I get home tonight and find out what it's called.

Will get back to ya

Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:42 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya,
take a short drive to the airport, hop on a plane and come to the midland meet.

Bye
Mark
(Think of those air miles )
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Michelle,

When I lived in Brissy, one thing I used to love to do was to go down to Springbrook at the GC Hinterland and just near there is a place called Natural Bridge(or it could be Natural Arch, I cant quite remember). Its a nice walk through the rain forrest and you walk down to this big flat rock that a fast flowing creek disappears into the middle of. When you walk down a little further you walk under the big rock into a cavern and when it starts to get dark, the cavern is full of glow worms.

Its just so beautiful. Not to mention how pretty Springbrook and the Mountains are around there. You will find plenty to do around the area.

Hels
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
We went to a lovely pub for Friday lunch last week Michelle. Lovley atmosphere, overlooking the water, fantastic food and wine. Bit of a cosy pub ...reminded me of a village pub in UK.

Just in case you want to go back... it sounds like Cleveland Point to me - the Lighthouse Restaurant and pub ? It you see the dolphins swimming in the bay to - or did you just think you saw them after too many beers ? It could also be the Grand View Hotel, but that is opposite Raby Bay and not on the Point itself.

It is a beautiful spot - just down the road from us.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:55 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by surfdude
Just in case you want to go back... it sounds like Cleveland Point to me - the Lighthouse Restaurant and pub ? It you see the dolphins swimming in the bay to - or did you just think you saw them after too many beers ? It could also be the Grand View Hotel, but that is opposite Raby Bay and not on the Point itself.

Keep them coming guys, this is great
Old Apr 13th 2005, 12:04 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by surfdude

Aye...could have been...not sure. I'll find out when I ring me mate

I reckon I was swimming with the dolphins be time I'd finished

Old Apr 13th 2005, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Two places spring to mind depending on what you fancy doing ;
Fish and Chips for lunch at Labrador (Charis is excellent - get battered Barra), you sit and eat them outside and there is an enclosed swimming area, small beach for the kids or yourself to swim/sunbake if you so wish. Another area just up the road with more of a park is Paradise Point, great area with some shops/cafes (but no fish an chips !), swim area, playgrounds and very vibrant.

Montville and Maleny are beautiful, if you are a couple there are some excellent tree top lodges with sunken baths (very romantic) to stay at. If you are a family I would recommend Clouds at Montville, Angus the owner, drives you into the town (2 mins away), so you don't have to drink and drive and picks you up when you are ready. There is an English pub (if you want one) The Penny Farthing, I think it is called, at the top of the mount with beautiful views of the Sunshine Coast - does breakie, lunch and dinner - or cook your own barbie. The towns themselves are like the Cotwolds, small tea shops ect just beautiful. If you like walking there are many walks in the area with special walking maps (most hotels have them free).

If you are trying to find these places on the map - Montville and Maleny are on the Sunshine Coast, just past the Glass House Mountains (have you done the walk up the White Horse Mountain Look Out on the Bruce Highway - wow what a view) and Labrador/Paradise Point are on the Gold Coast, before Surfers.

If you need any details, I think I have telephone numbers somewhere - whatever you do have a great weekend - hope its good weather !

SD.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 12:16 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for - something thats maybe not on the tourist map
I have the answer!

Very few tourists visit this place, and you'll love it!

Goes by the name of 'Surfers Paradise' !! ....... altho might be hard to track down as not many ppl know about it.

You heard it here first!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 12:30 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by Jim2004
I have the answer!

Very few tourists visit this place, and you'll love it!

Goes by the name of 'Surfers Paradise' !! ....... altho might be hard to track down as not many ppl know about it.

You heard it here first!

Thanks Surfdude, heaps of info in there, I'll certainly look into those places. I have done the lookout off the Bruce, its great at sunset.

Jim2004, gee mate, I dunno what to say, that place sounds just awesome! I can't believe you're announcing it on a public forum though, they'll be highrise's, shopping centres and themeparks spoiling it before you know it
Old Apr 13th 2005, 12:33 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Thanks Surfdude, heaps of info in there, I'll certainly look into those places. I have done the lookout off the Bruce, its great at sunset.

Jim2004, gee mate, I dunno what to say, that place sounds just awesome! I can't believe you're announcing it on a public forum though, they'll be highrise's, shopping centres and themeparks spoiling it before you know it
I know, I know. If your quick tho ??

sorry no help I know. Just in a silly mood
Old Apr 13th 2005, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to mention the Japanese tourists!!

Now this is out, there will be so many of them they will have to have every single sign in this place translated into Japanese!!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Just another one I remembered - we went to Bryon Bay last weekend - the last hippie bastion in NSW - sooo laid back and easy - great place. Lots of live bands, all walks of life and age groups. Accomodation ranges from 4 star to backpackers motels. Definately recommend it - it takes about 1 1/2hrs to get there. Try the Railway bar/Old Piggery and Beach Bar - great bands on and food, as well as the grog !

Go up to the Lighthouse and see the pods of dolphins and the sharks.

All you need is the surf board, jeans and t-shirt and if you have a hippie van your made !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.