Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sometimes its the little things....

Wikiposts

Sometimes its the little things....

Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road
Default Sometimes its the little things....

Myself and my boyf have been in Cairns over 4 months now and enjoying our new lifestyles. We haven't been too homesick really, but... sometimes its the smallest thing that can start the pangs for home.
Yesterday as I was surfing the net, I came across the website of a local radio station that my Dad listens to religiously. Just hearing the dulcid Irish tones of a local DJ was enough to cause big wet tears to roll down my face and onto my keyboard... completely out of the blue!! But like I say, sometimes its the wee reminders of home that can have that effect!
Anyone experience anything similiar of is it just me???
Jo
Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sometimes its the little things....

Too many to mention Jo. The one that sticks in my mind though is this one - my nephew (9 at the time) learnt to sing Danny Boy for my dads 70th birthday two years ago. He is a chorister with a fantastic voice. I can't listen to it at all now, sung by anyone, without welling up with tears. Someone sang it on TV last week, and that was me gone, just remembering the day he sang it and wondering when I'll hear him sing something else that good.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:06 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

I've been surprised by the things that have reminded me of home, and how unexpected things are reminding me of people I miss. I always knew that the only thing I'd seriously miss would be people, and I wonder whether the feeling will get easier to deal with or harder as time goes by.

My problem is I like the UK and I like Oz, so I cant win, or cant lose depending on how you look at it.

Just confused myself. Sorry guys.

Old Aug 10th 2004, 5:09 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Sometimes its the little things....

Nothing gets me pining for home these days, well pining fo the UK really since home is here in Europe. I've been expat for quite a few years now.

I confess I would get excited at the idea of going back to the UK for a break but then I'm excited about a holiday we're planning to Croatia in September.

Plus given a real choice between a break in UK or Croatia we have decided on Croatia, that says it all!
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I find that songs really set me off, sometimes its ones that remind me of a person or place, sometimes I'll just pick up on lyrics that suddenly sound poignant (this is new for me as I have never been sentimental!) an old All Saints song (distance) was playing somewhere the other week, the lyrics go.... 'on the other side of the world, alone without my girls....'and that had me sobbing, which was completely ridiculous!
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:37 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leejo
Myself and my boyf have been in Cairns over 4 months now and enjoying our new lifestyles. We haven't been too homesick really, but... sometimes its the smallest thing that can start the pangs for home.
Yesterday as I was surfing the net, I came across the website of a local radio station that my Dad listens to religiously. Just hearing the dulcid Irish tones of a local DJ was enough to cause big wet tears to roll down my face and onto my keyboard... completely out of the blue!! But like I say, sometimes its the wee reminders of home that can have that effect!
Anyone experience anything similiar of is it just me???
Jo
Ahh, you'll get over it.

I find if I ever start getting homesick I tune in to the Chris Moyles show on the Radio 1 web site. 5 minutes of listening to that areshole makes me realise how lucky I am to have escaped to the other side of the world.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

bonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by renth
Ahh, you'll get over it.

I find if I ever start getting homesick I tune in to the Chris Moyles show on the Radio 1 web site. 5 minutes of listening to that areshole makes me realise how lucky I am to have escaped to the other side of the world.
HA HA Thats sooo funni as back ome i always listened to radio 1 and Galaxy,and im at home now on mi own,as kids at school and hubby is out ,and i cant seem to find a decent auzzie station as yet,and i never thought of going on line and playing it
As for missing things...well not doing too bad,apart from the usual...but songs are a def tear jerker at times..on my first nite out here, i will survive ..(gloria Gaynor ..i think )came on,and its mine and my 2 best friends song ,as soon as that was ever played,we,d be up there,strutting our stuff,and being out with new friends brought home how much i wished there were here sometimes....... Or theres a couple of dance tunes that as soon as they come on i turn my radio up full pelt and smile,as they remind me off all the fab times ive had with them
NAtasha
Old Aug 11th 2004, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by renth
Ahh, you'll get over it.

Never a truer word spoken... I feel better already!!! The next time I feel a little blue I'll remember that!!!
JO