Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Wikiposts

Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:18 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

This thread should be retitled
"there must have been some misunderstanding"
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
LOL I reckon it seems to have the potential to make everyone fall out. :scared:
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Are you calling us all stupid?
( )
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Un-Co
( )
LMAO
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:27 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Un-Co
( )
if the cap fits...

nice hat!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

gogdownunder,
I am Welsh. I come from Wales - Which is very much alive and kicking! -
And is in the U.K.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Banksia
That's why the following is more appropriate for today's Australia

I came from the dreamtime from the dusty red soil plains
I am the ancient heart, the keeper of the flame
I stood upon the rocky shore
I watched the tall ships come
For forty thousand years I'd been the first Australian.

I came upon the prison ship bowed down by iron chains.
I cleared the land, endured the lash and waited for the rains.
I'm a settler.
I'm a farmer's wife on a dry and barren run
A convict then a free man I became Australian.

I'm the daughter of a digger who sought the mother lode
The girl became a woman on the long and dusty road
I'm a child of the depression
I saw the good times come
I'm a bushy, I'm a battler
I am Australian

[chorus]
We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice:
I am, you are, we are Australian
I am, you are, we are Australian.

I'm a teller of stories
I'm a singer of songs
I am Albert Namatjira
I paint the ghostly gums
I am Clancy on his horse
I'm Ned Kelly on the run
I'm the one who waltzed Matilda
I am Australian

I'm the hot wind from the desert
I'm the black soil of the plains
I'm the mountains and the valleys
I'm the drought and flooding rains
I am the rock, I am the sky
The rivers when they run
The spirit of this great land
I am Australian

[chorus]

We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice:
I am, you are, we are Australian
I am, you are, we are Australian.
I remeber when this was sung at the opening ceromony at the Sydney Olympics..........don't know who the singer was .........made me very proud
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I feel very patriotic when I hear it. I guess it sums up how I feel about being Australian.

Katie
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:54 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I am very sorry for misinterpreting your post Bondi. I have sent you some karma as way of an apology. I hope you accept as I am pregnant and hormonal and also my brain has stopped working.

Katie

ps is Telstra broadband that bad. I will remember not to get it.
No probs my answer was a bit cryptic. Telstra is AKA Helstra. Avoid like the plague. Other members here will concur from bad experiences.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks At the mo we have optus dial up, hopefully one day we will upgrade to broadband.

Katie
Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Thanks At the mo we have optus dial up, hopefully one day we will upgrade to broadband.

Katie
For broadband keep your eyes on http://www.aanet.com.au/plans.html

They have a Special Plan 1500/256 with 8Gb for $45 per month, with only a 6 month contract.

Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Just thought I would post this for all of you who are leaving the U.K because of all it's "problems".
A lot of people seem to be talking about the "spongers" who are now there....Sponging off the benefit system, having never worked a day in their lives, never having contributed to National Insurance contributions, expecting child benefit, free dental treatment, free prescriptions, free hospital treatment and numerous other handouts.......The huge influx of foreign immigrants flowing into the country, immediately expecting these same handouts, again having never contributed to the country's econonomy, often ignorant to the country's culture, morals, values, laws, way of life and even sometimes the language.... A lot of people are complaining about the rising crime rates, cost of houses, rising taxes, ridiculous laws, the governments' lax stand on allowing all these foreign immigrants to just walk into the country and almost "take over".....The lack of control that teachers now seem to have over children, in often overcrowded classrooms, with no discipline or morals being taught at the homes of these children, and your children having to be taught alongside them............The decline in the standard of public health care, aged care, mental health care and every other (overstreched and free) national system, probably due to the "spongers"......The widening gap between the wealthy and the poor... The list of the failings of the country is endless.
I know, because a few years ago I was saying exactly the same, then I moved to Australia.

I now realise that you could be saying exactly the same about this country. The only difference is that, I am now that "foreign immigrant"...As you will be in the near future. Expecting free Healthcare, Child benefit etc, etc........Trying desperately to fit-in, make a new/better life and trying to recreate a little bit of what was familiar to you, here in this new adopted country where often everything seems strange and almost unwelcoming. Where the system sometimes seems so unfamiliar, and where a friendly, helpful face is so gratefully appreciated...(even if it is in Centrelink!)

And who can blame many of the Australian people born here for often feeling slightly resentful of the fact that "Pommies" move over here and expect everything for nothing? That they move over here and push their property prices up to unaffordable levels for the average Aussie, because they can afford to pay more, after selling their house in the U.K for an astronomical price......Then, they come over here and expect handouts for free, without ever having contributed to the country's economy............Bringing with them their own thoughts and ideas on how things should be done.......
Sound familiar?
There are still the same injustices, unfairness, crimes and everything else over here, just as they are in the U.K. The only difference is that you see it from a different angle when you are on the outside, looking in.

Living in Australia has taught me many things. One of them is to have a little pride in your own country. Most Australians are very patriotic, and why shouldn't they be - Australia is a wonderful country......But then,
so is Great Britain. It is still one of the most sought after countries in the world, to live - That's why so many foreigners want to live there! So please don't knock it, or the "foreign immigrants" most of whom have moved there trying desperately to forge a better lives for themselves and their families, just as you will be doing in Australia.
People are human, no matter where they were born, and there are good and bad everywhere. I for one, now appreciate all that the U.K does have, rather than what it doesn't.

These are my thoughts and views. You may agree or disagree, that is your prerogative.
I must say I agree with most of your post however you say you now feel like that foreign immigrant but do you mean that you dont work or contribute to the Australian economy like most of the immigrants coming into the uk. If so then no wonder you feel like that. Most of the people who post on BE dont give me the opinion that they are about to rock up in Oz and not work.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pogsy
I must say I agree with most of your post however you say you now feel like that foreign immigrant but do you mean that you dont work or contribute to the Australian economy like most of the immigrants coming into the uk. If so then no wonder you feel like that. Most of the people who post on BE dont give me the opinion that they are about to rock up in Oz and not work.
It would be interesting to see figures to see how accurate your assumption is about immigrants to the UK. Many UK hospitals now depend on hard working immigrants to provide enogh staff. It would be interesting to see how many come to the UK and gain employment and how many are dependant on seeking government aid.

Katie
Old Jun 15th 2005, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

numbers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Is Wales then?
Wales is not a country, its a principality (not sure what that means). IM english living in south wales, and im british, and damn proud. I guess it like supporting a crap football team. You know theyre crap, but you love it just as much

Uk is becoming a pile of pants, but il support this pile of pants till i die

Numbers
Old Jun 15th 2005, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pogsy

Since when has it been the case that most of the immigrants who come to the UK don't contribute? Most legal immigrants have to apply for work permits and visas in much the same way as we do to come to OZ. The exceptions are a few dependent countries and number of former members of the empire due to a certain level of responsibility Britain has for the atrocious way we treated other nations. The NHS runs on often low paid immigrants, if they stopped contributing then the NHS would grind to a holt.

The people who can not contribute (not the same as not wanting to) are asylum seekers, who have to go through the process of having their applications heard.

Britain is, and always has been, a mongrel nation and it is all the better for the diversity. Even simply things like the changes in shop's opening times can be directly traced to immigrant shop keepers who changed working practices.

Sam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.