Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Wikiposts

Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Re: Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..

Thanks for the karma guys - what a pleasant surprise after getting back from dropping the kids off. I was just writing from my heart and really appreciate the positive comments. Have a great day
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAR123
Can I ask you would you return to live in the uk ?
Yes JAR123, I would certainly return to live in the U.K, and probably will one day, especially after living in Australia has made me look at the U.K through a different perspective. I now realise how lucky I am that my birthright allows me live there, if I want to. I also feel lucky that I have been able to experience life in Australia as an immigrant.

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
What this experience has made me realise is that no matter where you were born, you adapt to the environment you are living in - how you adapt is up to you. I guess all my life I have felt like an immigrant, and I guess because of that I am prepared to adapt to my surroundings and embrace new cultures.
The huge majority of immigrants I feel certainly don't sponge off the economy, if anything, they make it grow by adding valuable skills. Be patient with them and you never know, you may learn something from them and find a great friend.

Sarah
This is a lovely, honest thread Sarah. I hope all goes well for you with your move. I would send you karma too, if I knew how to..!
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sam&molly
They are separate States all with their own government, taxes and laws who have come together as a Commonwealth. You'll find that the NSW government has more power that the Scottish Parliament or the Welsh Assembly. Prior to the Commonwealth each State was totally independent. The fact that in just over 100 years the Australians have developed a sense of nation is something us Brits could and should learn from.

Sam
You are a little lacking in knowledge of history.
the UK is not a nation but a Union between 4 countries which makes it different from Australia.

All the states and territories are equal in Australia.When they couldn't decide whether Melbourne or Sydney should be capital they created a new capital Canberra to make everyone happy.

Maybe if this had happened in the "UK" the Scots wouldn't be wanting Independence and the IRA wouldn't have spent the last 30 years trying to blow the English up.
Why did the parliament have to be in London? We are equal after all.Just because England has a bigger population shouldn't make it the big bully.

If the English really wanted a "United Kingdom" then perhaps they would change the National Anthem.

One of the Verses of the "God Save The Queen " asks God to help General Wade kill the Scots.Why should we sing a song about asking god to let our neighbours murder us.A little arrogant don't you think.

I can't recall a verse in "Advance Australia Fair" for the Queenslanders to kill the Tasmanians or vice versa.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:18 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

kath n kim & coxfamuk - thanks for excellent posts. Karma well deserved.

I feel sorry for those who are intollerant of others because of their background or culture. The best places to live are where there is a very varied cultural mix. (How did we live without Indian/Chinese/Italian etc meals??)

As an immigrant myself now, I really appreciate the kindness of locals, knowing how some people react to 'newcomers'.

I must say that I had a really good life in the UK, and probably working in London gave me a wider view (and a lot of Indian Meals!) and I would have no trouble in living there again, but it is our intention to enjoy our Australian Adventure and expect to stay here for the forseeable, and unforseeable future.

Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Yes JAR123, I would certainly return to live in the U.K, and probably will one day, especially after living in Australia has made me look at the U.K through a different perspective. I now realise how lucky I am that my birthright allows me live there, if I want to. I also feel lucky that I have been able to experience life in Australia as an immigrant.

This is a lovely, honest thread Sarah. I hope all goes well for you with your move. I would send you karma too, if I knew how to..!
Thanks very much - your thread was great too and it really made me think about my own situation. It has been hard here in the UK for me, but my husband has loved every minute of it - he actually didn't want to leave initially - however, I am glad that my birthright gives me the opportunity to live almost anywhere else in the world should I choose and for that I will always be grateful.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I am very proud to be firstly English and secondly British. I love my country and most of the people (obviously don't know most of them ) I object to illegal immigrants but not immigration. I strongly object to the country's immigration policy but firmly believe that we need immigrants to keep the country going.

I am thoroughly looking forward to being an immigrant in Aus. I am also looking forward to working for a living and integrating into Australian life. After two years I will go for citizenship because hopefully I will want to be an Australian citizen but I will always be firstly English because that is where I was born and bred and where all my ancestors were born and bred (except for a relative from donkey's years ago who apparently was French - but you can't have everything )

Good thread. No karma because I pretending not to be a whore
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:07 am
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mary1
You are a little lacking in knowledge of history.
the UK is not a nation but a Union between 4 countries which makes it different from Australia.

All the states and territories are equal in Australia.When they couldn't decide whether Melbourne or Sydney should be capital they created a new capital Canberra to make everyone happy.

Maybe if this had happened in the "UK" the Scots wouldn't be wanting Independence and the IRA wouldn't have spent the last 30 years trying to blow the English up.
Why did the parliament have to be in London? We are equal after all.Just because England has a bigger population shouldn't make it the big bully.

If the English really wanted a "United Kingdom" then perhaps they would change the National Anthem.

One of the Verses of the "God Save The Queen " asks God to help General Wade kill the Scots.Why should we sing a song about asking god to let our neighbours murder us.A little arrogant don't you think.

I can't recall a verse in "Advance Australia Fair" for the Queenslanders to kill the Tasmanians or vice versa.
Just a small historic note on the National Anthem and that "Rebellious Scots to crush" verse. That verse was only used when it was simply a patriotic song during the Jacobite rebellion in 1745. When it became the National Anthem in the 1790s, it did not contain that verse.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 6:11 am
Merlot

For me I was born and raised in England, travelled to some lovely places (as well as not so), lived in Oz, became an Aussie Citizen, back to Blighty now back to Oz in 2006.

What this too-ing and fro-ing has taught me is that whatever country I live in I must be a good citizen of that country, mindful of its cultures and customs, whilst being as happy as I can. I don't expect anything on a plate, I have always worked very hard to get the things I need in life and will continue to do so.

M

Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fnord
Just a small historic note on the National Anthem and that "Rebellious Scots to crush" verse. That verse was only used when it was simply a patriotic song during the Jacobite rebellion in 1745. When it became the National Anthem in the 1790s, it did not contain that verse.

I can't remeber the second verse ...... actually I can't remeber the first either!

I must admit it has a dreary tune-I prefered the Billy Connolly version( Archers Theme) and the Sex Pistols ( banned by the BBC of course).

Give me Advance Australia Fair any day....
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:50 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

"GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!"

1. God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

2. O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

3. Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign;
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen!

4. Not in this land alone,
But be God's mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world over.

5. From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!

(first publicly performed in London, 1745 )

"ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR !"

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in Nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia fair!
In joyful strains then let us sing,
"Advance Australia fair!"

When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Till he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
With all her faults we love her still,
"Brittannia rules the wave!"
In joyful strains then let us sing

Beneath our radiant southern Cross,
We'll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair.

While other nations of the globe
Behold us from afar,
We'll rise to high renown and shine
Like our glorious southern star;
From England, Scotia, Erin's Isle,
Who come our lot to share,
Let all combine with heart and hand
To advance Australia fair!

Shou'd foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore
To guard our native strand;
Brittannia then shall surely know,
Beyond wide ocean's roll,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep a British soul.
In joyful strains the let us sing

A bit dated and not exactly inclusive.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 10:04 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

You put across one point of view, I put across another point of view. People have the right to post their own views and own experiences. You were the one that challenged what I said. If you didn't want to enter into a debate, you should have ignored my post and not responded to it, because I'm certainly not about to stop posting and expressing my own opinions - just like I wouldn't expect anyone else to stop posting or expressing opinions.

If you don't agree with a post but don't want to get into a debate, then don't respond to it. Simple.

Originally Posted by louise4
Nichola, we have been hre before and i don't think either gained any new outlook on this subject. i have decided that i prefer a peaceful life on this forum and would like it if we could be friends.
I have decided not to answer your question, simply because it would probably lead to cross words again, which really don't want. have a nice day.

Louise
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:48 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arnie2oz
kath n kim & coxfamuk - thanks for excellent posts. Karma well deserved.

I feel sorry for those who are intollerant of others because of their background or culture. The best places to live are where there is a very varied cultural mix. (How did we live without Indian/Chinese/Italian etc meals??)

yeh maybe we can sing the welsh national anthem now.......k&k can lead us

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn anwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol rhyfelwyr, gwlad garwyr tra mad,
Tros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.
Chorus:
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
Tra mor yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

2. Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,
Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd;
Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si
Ei nentydd, afonydd, i mi.
Chorus:

3. Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,
Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed,
Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:14 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I am very proud to be firstly English and secondly British. I love my country and most of the people (obviously don't know most of them ) I object to illegal immigrants but not immigration. I strongly object to the country's immigration policy but firmly believe that we need immigrants to keep the country going.

I am thoroughly looking forward to being an immigrant in Aus. I am also looking forward to working for a living and integrating into Australian life. After two years I will go for citizenship because hopefully I will want to be an Australian citizen but I will always be firstly English because that is where I was born and bred and where all my ancestors were born and bred (except for a relative from donkey's years ago who apparently was French - but you can't have everything )

Good thread. No karma because I pretending not to be a whore

Well said, couldn't have put it better myself!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Excellent post!

Queenie

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Just thought I would post this for all of you who are leaving the U.K because of all it's "problems".
A lot of people seem to be talking about the "spongers" who are now there....Sponging off the benefit system, having never worked a day in their lives, never having contributed to National Insurance contributions, expecting child benefit, free dental treatment, free prescriptions, free hospital treatment and numerous other handouts.......The huge influx of foreign immigrants flowing into the country, immediately expecting these same handouts, again having never contributed to the country's econonomy, often ignorant to the country's culture, morals, values, laws, way of life and even sometimes the language.... A lot of people are complaining about the rising crime rates, cost of houses, rising taxes, ridiculous laws, the governments' lax stand on allowing all these foreign immigrants to just walk into the country and almost "take over".....The lack of control that teachers now seem to have over children, in often overcrowded classrooms, with no discipline or morals being taught at the homes of these children, and your children having to be taught alongside them............The decline in the standard of public health care, aged care, mental health care and every other (overstreched and free) national system, probably due to the "spongers"......The widening gap between the wealthy and the poor... The list of the failings of the country is endless.
I know, because a few years ago I was saying exactly the same, then I moved to Australia.

I now realise that you could be saying exactly the same about this country. The only difference is that, I am now that "foreign immigrant"...As you will be in the near future. Expecting free Healthcare, Child benefit etc, etc........Trying desperately to fit-in, make a new/better life and trying to recreate a little bit of what was familiar to you, here in this new adopted country where often everything seems strange and almost unwelcoming. Where the system sometimes seems so unfamiliar, and where a friendly, helpful face is so gratefully appreciated...(even if it is in Centrelink!)

And who can blame many of the Australian people born here for often feeling slightly resentful of the fact that "Pommies" move over here and expect everything for nothing? That they move over here and push their property prices up to unaffordable levels for the average Aussie, because they can afford to pay more, after selling their house in the U.K for an astronomical price......Then, they come over here and expect handouts for free, without ever having contributed to the country's economy............Bringing with them their own thoughts and ideas on how things should be done.......
Sound familiar?
There are still the same injustices, unfairness, crimes and everything else over here, just as they are in the U.K. The only difference is that you see it from a different angle when you are on the outside, looking in.

Living in Australia has taught me many things. One of them is to have a little pride in your own country. Most Australians are very patriotic, and why shouldn't they be - Australia is a wonderful country......But then,
so is Great Britain. It is still one of the most sought after countries in the world, to live - That's why so many foreigners want to live there! So please don't knock it, or the "foreign immigrants" most of whom have moved there trying desperately to forge a better lives for themselves and their families, just as you will be doing in Australia.
People are human, no matter where they were born, and there are good and bad everywhere. I for one, now appreciate all that the U.K does have, rather than what it doesn't.

These are my thoughts and views. You may agree or disagree, that is your prerogative.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:51 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by renth
Of course it is. Sure they don't have a "welsh" passport but if a people see themselves as distinct, particularly with their own language, as most Welsh do then yes, it's a country.

Ceri, where are you?
[

can't be bothered with the ignorance, I suggest they look up their invasion of history. Wales is considered a principality because in the past we had Welsh princes ( called the princes instead of kings) instead of Lairds- Scotland , or the word Kings for England. That was until the English wiped out our princes, and decided they wanted to rule Wales, and put their first born son as Prince of Wales.

language - it's a far ,far older than ye old English language. Welsh is one of the oldest languages in Europe, with no thanks to our neighbours who tried to wipe it out but did not succeed
Wales is a land ,a country always has been to it's people, politically today it is called a principality, but it is a country/land. We had our own laws, our own rulers until we were were invaded time and time again by our neighbours and finally fell.

passports - I'm all for a republic, but I doubt our vote would be fair if it came to voting for this, there is a high amount of "foreign" ( ie English)residents due to it's geography and they would hardly vote for a republic of our country Wales , so they'd have to change the voting system and only allow Welsh born to vote on this matters to get a fair result.

I feel sorry for anyone who is not proud of their own heritage/countries, whether it is English, Scottish, Irish , Welsh or Australian. etc etc.

I'll get back to burning the Union Jack now , along with a pic of the queen and old big ears. We did not sign the Act of Union, we ( as in Wales) are the only country in the UK that did not sign it, Scotland signed it , so you've only yourselves to blame ( not that you, as in scotland had much choice on the matter either, but you did keep some of your old laws because of this, so you were better off signing it) - Wales did not sign it, the reason why we are not on the Union Jack. we did not agree to a Union of the countries.
We had no choice to be in the "gang" - invasion of our country, murdering of our rulers, dirty deals by own too.
war ended. when?? lol

cheers
Attached Thumbnails Something That I Have Learned From Living In Australia..-attack575.jpg  

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 8th 2005 at 2:58 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.