Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Someone's just hit me up the arse.

Someone's just hit me up the arse.

Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:09 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Someone's just hit me up the arse.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Good advice, when my car was hit in the thug incident, (concretor tried to thump me because I asked for his details ) it turned out he didnt have insurance, our insurance co paid up quick enough, no wonder the assessor said it they would recoup the cost from him through legal avenues insurance or not.

God there some A/holes around. I hope they sold off all his tools and van and put him out of business... My mate works at the NRMA and he said that if the person that they are trying to get money out of are A/holes they take them to the cleaners.

ZX....
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Oh dear. Get used to it, in 2 years we have been rear-ended twice . The second time, when we asked the guy for his licence no., he refused to give it to me saying there wasn't enough damage to justify it.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:10 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If the person that hit you, only has the same as you (CTP), then it's also unlikely that they can pay for your repairs.

I was hit in the same way, back in 1987, and the driver only had CTP, so I had to cover my own damages, but fortunately I had comp cover, so my insurance paid. Otherwise my car repairs would have come out of my pocket.

To re-iterate what others have said, for those who aren't aware of CTP:

Compulsory Third Party (CTP, Greenslip) is a compulsory insurance to cover Injury to Third Parties, that must be taken out when registering a motor vehicle. It covers the owner or driver of the motor vehicle in the event of an accident against any legal liability or obligation that they may have to anyone that they injure, it only covers personal injury and NOT damage to other property cars etc.
But the only person I'm putting at risk is myself If I hit someone I'd pay out.

I hit someone in the Uk a few months before I left, I took her number and paid her cash the £400 that it cost. I would do the same here so it's just my bank balance at risk nobody elses.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:13 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Did the driver tell you if they had insurance, other than CTP ? If they have, you must contact the insurer and provide quotes etc, and chase them yourself.

Are you a member of a Motoring Association ? They may be able to help, in the absence of having an insurer yourself, who would otherwise handle that for you.
We've just spoke to them they do indeed have insurance, they're going to give us the details Monday.

Thankyou for your help
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Fraser in your situation you cannot afford "not" to have insurance.

Reason being their are a few solicitors around the place, Kenyon's in Preston being a major player in this. That if you hit someone that knows of the procedures that Kenyon's use. They (Kenyon's) would take your house deposit eventually. It's very common the following. All tow truck drivers know about it, and are on a commission to refer people to these solicitors. Kenyon's employ about 50 people just on these incidents.

honestly !!

Years ago, we were insured, my wife hit someone up the rear, the bloke said forget about It I'm a panel beater, there is only a little scratch etc etc. I thought it was a bit odd, my wife insisted he was trustworthy, so we didn't inform our insurance company AAMI.

8 weeks later, we get a letter from Kenyon's, demanding 7,000 AUD, the car had been independently assessed by a private assessor (you cannot challenge a private assessor, they are accredited by the government, have some kind of special licence, and their word is valid in a court of law), so what had been in the accident, a minor scratch, without a dent, became a full body respray, a stretching of chassis, new suspension at the back etc etc etc. Bearing in mind this was our Daihatsu Charade, hitting a solid Holden commodore, in a stop start situation at traffic lights you realise what a rort it was. Luckily for us AAMI sorted it all out and it only cost us our excess.

About 3 years later, My wife got hit in the same daihatusu by a truck, causing major Damage to the back, after an exchange of addresses, the guy lived in Dandenong, we live here in Coburg, so damn tricky to go knocking on his door.

Turned out after a few phone calls, that he wasn't insured. I phoned up Kenyon's, they did a check (found out where he kept his money I assume) and told us they will get our money. They took him to court after the private assessor situation, he had the sheriff involved about 3 times, a 3,000 dollar bill became a 15,000 dollar one as he tried to fight the system. I assume they would have taken his truck, and some personal items.

We fixed the car at our own expense, and after 18 months Kenyon's sent us the 3,000 dollar cheque. Keeping a large proportion of the remaining 15,000 dollars as profit I bet.

Thats how the Aussie system works when you dont have insurance.

I'd get 3rd party only If i were you, circa 150 bucks

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 27th 2006 at 3:07 am.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Thats how the Aussie system works when you dont have insurance.

I'd get 3rd party only If i were you, circa 150 bucks
Thanks mate I appreciate the advice, but they'd have no need of Kenyons as I'd pay.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Thanks mate I appreciate the advice, but they'd have no need of Kenyons as I'd pay.

I didn't expect that answer, but that is fair enough. Well done, actually you would most probably get treated well in that situation.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell you dont have much luck do you you make my days totally stress free

Was gonna pm ya and pick your brains about building your own house and land n stuff....think I'll leave it until another day

Sue x
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sue2
Bloody hell you dont have much luck do you you make my days totally stress free

Was gonna pm ya and pick your brains about building your own house and land n stuff....think I'll leave it until another day

Sue x
Just do a search on here. There has been enough said on here about building houses, I reckon I could build one myself.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
Just do a search on here. There has been enough said on here about building houses, I reckon I could build one myself.

Have had a look....just found Frasers bad luck again

....No I'll do another cheers

Sue x
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Sue2
Have had a look....just found Frasers bad luck again

....No I'll do another cheers

Sue x
That made me smile mate
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Reason being their are a few solicitors around the place, Kenyon's in Preston being a major player in this. That if you hit someone that knows of the procedures that Kenyon's use. They (Kenyon's) would take your house deposit eventually. It's very common the following.
Thanks for that info. I need a good debt collector, for something else, I may try them

Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that info. I need a good debt collector, for something else, I may try them

They are very efficient. I'd say they would refer you to either a Peer up in Brisbane, or they may even have an office up there.

Here is their URL

Seems they have free online referral service.

http://www.liv.asn.au/directory/firms/201208.html
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fraser
That made me smile mate

funny but true!! sending you some good luck K hun

Sue x
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:25 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that. Hope you can sort it out in your favour!
I was just reversing out a child parking space at Coles, having just strapped my 2 kids in the back. Looked about and started to reverse, nothing coming and continued. Another woman a few spaces up on the other side reversed aftr me and just kept coming. I was in front waiting for her to give way to let me back up and round- she didn't she just drove round me. I beeped and she never even looked my way once...just shouted at me "well you shouldn't have parked there anyway!" and drove around me and off! Bloody people!
The balls some of these people have. I've noticed it more in Oz that they don't even catch eyes with you....even if they know their wrong! Bloody minded if you ask me!
But at least it was only my temper frayed....not my paintwork!
Hope you can sort it all out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.