British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Someone's just hit me up the arse. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/someones-just-hit-me-up-arse-351041/)

karenjc Jan 26th 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Someone's just hit me up the arse.

The main thing is that you are ok, cars can be fixed. Try blagging her insurance company to pay for you to have a loan car. Mind you the loan cars where i work are terrible and i would rather walk. Good luck.

Hels Jan 26th 2006 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
I'm not saving for anything, I have the money for my house and enough to live on.

We don't go out, we don't have snacks in the house, we have no alcohol and we have no income.

When we do I'll get some insurance.

And what happens to your house money if you happen to have an accident and its your fault???

Sorry Fraser, but you say you have enough to live on, but you obviously dont if you cant afford to insure your car.

There are far too many uninsured bloody cars on the roads and its the ones that do insure that end up paying for it!!

I know you are gonna get pissed off at me for having a go, but its one of my pet peeves because I have been hit by an uninsured driver and ended up in loads of financial shit because of it!!

Its just not worth the risk!!

Hels

copa Jan 26th 2006 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Hels
Its not illegal in Oz, although it should be...

Then why is insurance compulsory in most places? goodness.. where do you live in Oz?

fraser Jan 26th 2006 1:35 pm

And what happens to your house money if you happen to have an accident and its your fault???

Sorry Fraser, but you say you have enough to live on, but you obviously dont if you cant afford to insure your car.

There are far too many uninsured bloody cars on the roads and its the ones that do insure that end up paying for it!!

I know you are gonna get pissed off at me for having a go, but its one of my pet peeves because I have been hit by an uninsured driver and ended up in loads of financial shit because of it!!

Its just not worth the risk!!

Hels

Well I do, and it's a risk I'll have to take for the moment and if it does happen I'll have to pay out.

Probably will now you've bokked me :rolleyes:

Hels Jan 26th 2006 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by copa
Then why is insurance compulsory in most places? goodness.. where do you live in Oz?

There is a Compulsory Third Party(CTP) insurance component to car registration that you pay yearly. However Third Party or Comprehensive insurance is not a legal requirement to drive a car, and like I said before...it should be.

The CTP is only there to cover injuries and medical costs etc. Not vehicles. So if all you had was the CTP and you hit a Merc or a BMW you would still have to pay for their car and your own to be fixed. Also any other damage to property in an accident if you are at fault.

Its just nuts NOT to have some kind of insurance, even 3rd party....

gedge Jan 26th 2006 1:40 pm

So if all you had was the CTP and you hit a Merc or a BMW you would still have to pay for their car and your own to be fixed.

but not if it was a Ford or Holden :D

Hels Jan 26th 2006 1:42 pm

Well I do, and it's a risk I'll have to take for the moment and if it does happen I'll have to pay out.

Probably will now you've bokked me :rolleyes:

In a way, I hope it does and then you will learn your lesson....but I feel bloody sorry for whoever it is you run into because I cant see you parting with your house money for them to fix their car if you cant even pay for insurance... :rolleyes:

Hels Jan 26th 2006 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by gedge
but not if it was a Ford or Holden :D

Just hope it was a Ford cause you could always argue it just fell apart all by itself while waiting to turn.... :D ;) Totally believable

zx10r_aus Jan 26th 2006 1:45 pm

If she hit you up the bum she is at fault. However, you need to make sure the details are right. And start processing the her insurance now. And prey to god she has insurance.
Anyway hope you are all okay andnot too battered up.

ZX.... :cool:

Fiona&malc Jan 26th 2006 1:48 pm

I'm not saving for anything, I have the money for my house and enough to live on.

We don't go out, we don't have snacks in the house, we have no alcohol and we have no income.

When we do I'll get some insurance.

Glad no-one was hurt in the accident !!! Insurance here isnt actually too bad (obviously depends on your car) but when i got the insurance for mine it was just over $500 (and you do have the option of spreading the payts if you want to) PM if you want to know the name of the broker we used.

I just feel bad that you have no snacks or alcohol in the house.. THATS TERRIBLE !!! I will post down some bags of crisps and several bottles of VB for you, would that cheer you up ??? :D

fraser Jan 26th 2006 1:53 pm

In a way, I hope it does and then you will learn your lesson....but I feel bloody sorry for whoever it is you run into because I cant see you parting with your house money for them to fix their car if you cant even pay for insurance... :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot mate, I'm so skint that I haven't been out of the house since Sunday, I go out to get some groceries and someone hits me up the arse.

So I come on here for some guidance and I get a lecture and now you hope that I get my just deserts and hit someone up the arse and have to pay for it, not that I would in your opinion as you having not met me can judge that I'm the sort of person who wouldn't pay even though you don't know me.

I'm sorry but I would never do that and your assumption is ridiculous and unfounded.

The only person I put at risk by not being insured is myself.

ABCDiamond Jan 26th 2006 2:03 pm

The only person I put at risk by not being insured is myself.

If the person that hit you, only has the same as you (CTP), then it's also unlikely that they can pay for your repairs. :(

I was hit in the same way, back in 1987, and the driver only had CTP, so I had to cover my own damages, but fortunately I had comp cover, so my insurance paid. Otherwise my car repairs would have come out of my pocket.

To re-iterate what others have said, for those who aren't aware of CTP:

Compulsory Third Party (CTP, Greenslip) is a compulsory insurance to cover Injury to Third Parties, that must be taken out when registering a motor vehicle. It covers the owner or driver of the motor vehicle in the event of an accident against any legal liability or obligation that they may have to anyone that they injure, it only covers personal injury and NOT damage to other property cars etc.

jad n rich Jan 26th 2006 2:03 pm

There is a Compulsory Third Party(CTP) insurance component to car registration that you pay yearly. However Third Party or Comprehensive insurance is not a legal requirement to drive a car, and like I said before...it should be.

The CTP is only there to cover injuries and medical costs etc. Not vehicles. So if all you had was the CTP and you hit a Merc or a BMW you would still have to pay for their car and your own to be fixed. Also any other damage to property in an accident if you are at fault.

Its just nuts NOT to have some kind of insurance, even 3rd party....

Good advice, when my car was hit in the thug incident, (concretor tried to thump me because I asked for his details :rolleyes: ) it turned out he didnt have insurance, our insurance co paid up quick enough, no wonder the assessor said it they would recoup the cost from him through legal avenues insurance or not.

ABCDiamond Jan 26th 2006 2:06 pm

I come on here for some guidance

Did the driver tell you if they had insurance, other than CTP ? If they have, you must contact the insurer and provide quotes etc, and chase them yourself.

Are you a member of a Motoring Association ? They may be able to help, in the absence of having an insurer yourself, who would otherwise handle that for you.

Amazulu Jan 26th 2006 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
Glad no-one was hurt in the accident !!! Insurance here isnt actually too bad (obviously depends on your car) but when i got the insurance for mine it was just over $500 (and you do have the option of spreading the payts if you want to) PM if you want to know the name of the broker we used.

I just feel bad that you have no snacks or alcohol in the house.. THATS TERRIBLE !!! I will post down some bags of crisps and several bottles of VB for you, would that cheer you up ??? :D

Agree with you that insurance is good value here. it's one of the few things that is much cheaper than the UK. We are paying around AUD540 for the Golf 2.0l TDi & that's with protecting our no-claims discount & the TDi is classed as a high performance car. We were paying over GBP400 (AUD940) for a Rav4.