Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Someone Help Me Please!!!

Someone Help Me Please!!!

Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of
Default Someone Help Me Please!!!

Hi everyone,

especially BLC,

Just wanted to know what the school holidays were in Oz. Please tell me that there is no 7 week summer thing. I've got a 9 yr old and a 7 yr old who are about to kill each other.

Things have gotten so bad that 10 days ago they actually asked to go back to school.

I thought of putting them in the freezer for the the last week and then thawing them out 10 mins before the new term, but social services might be a bit upset.

My hair is greyer than its ever been.

Flash.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:38 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Someone Help Me Please!!!

I think they do still have long summer holidays :scared: But... don't forget, they have all their new Christmas presents to keep them happy for the summer
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
Hi everyone,

especially BLC,

Just wanted to know what the school holidays were in Oz. Please tell me that there is no 7 week summer thing. I've got a 9 yr old and a 7 yr old who are about to kill each other.

Things have gotten so bad that 10 days ago they actually asked to go back to school.

I thought of putting them in the freezer for the the last week and then thawing them out 10 mins before the new term, but social services might be a bit upset.

Flash.
Summer hols are 6-7 weeks in Oz.
Teach them to swim if they cant, have a pool (above or below ground), slip, slop, slap them and let them go.

Just remember to feed at normal times...
WW
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:44 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

especially BLC,

Flash.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Oz summer holidays runs for about 6 weeks too

Not sure which state you are heading to but in case it's QLD, here are the school holiday dates for 2006:-

Summer (10 Dec 05 - 22 Jan 06)
Easter (8 - 17 April)
Winter (24 Jun - 9 Jul)
Spring (23 Sep - 8 Oct)
Summer (16 Dec - 28 Jan 07)

You have been warned

Julie
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Summer hols are 6-7 weeks in Oz.
Teach them to swim if they cant, have a pool (above or below ground), slip, slop, slap them and let them go.

Just remember to feed at normal times...
WW

They can swim - level six.
They know what giraffes look like with their heads through the sun roof.
They know that the Wrekin is 1337 ft high.
They've seen Madagaska.
They have a playstation, playstation 2, xbox and pc each.
They've been to nanny.
They've been to other nanny.
They've been to Cosford Open air museum and Blists hill Victorian town.
We've made candles, cakes.
Played Simpsons monopoly, top trumps, mouse trap and cards.
Bike rides to the park.
A squillion ice-creams and I love them very much but I'm Done - had it.

Flash.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

Just wait till they get into surfing. Then no holiday could be too long...
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

in the sun this summer say slip slop slap...............................

god sorry that took me back to when i lived in Oz for while years ago
cheers for that lol
lace x
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:30 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

They've seen Madagaska.
They've been to nanny.
Bike rides to the park.

Flash.
Give them some holiday projects to do, in which they have to go off and 'research' things, draw or take pictures & write little details up into a folder to record everything they've found out. My son used to love this: I'd pick some subject I knew he was mad about (say basketball) and get him to do a project, then we'd have a load of his pals round so he could explain it all to them. Some of the other Moms started doing it with their kids, too.

Just a thought... (and no, my son wasn't a beastly swot - just had an enquiring mind that needed a bit of a workout during the hols!)

If that fails, can I suggest laudanum? :scared:

Cheers,
Anya.

Last edited by anya4oz; Aug 29th 2005 at 10:34 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Kids... got to love them hey..

I have to say that since coming to Oz I actually look forward to school holidays. There is so much to do with them that doesn't cost money. My kids now hardly watch the telly or play playstation although they do spend a wee while on the pc emailing old friends and family.
We tend to spend weekends in the garden and the little devils run off in all directions, up trees, over to neighbours etc with the walkie talkies for emergancies. ( or to ask when dinner is because they are hungry ). School holidays are now taken up by camping, beach, bike riding etc.

And the best bit is Christmas!!! This year they are getting a trampoline so hopefully I wont see them again
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:11 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by woodyinoz

And the best bit is Christmas!!! This year they are getting a trampoline so hopefully I wont see them again
How long did you bounce that idea around for?
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Someone Help Me Please!!!

Originally Posted by Bordy
How long did you bounce that idea around for?

This link may help if you are going to Queensland: -

http://education.qld.gov.au/public_m.../holidays.html

BB
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice

They've seen Madagaska.
They've been to nanny.
Bike rides to the park.

Flash.
go on a treasure hunt!!
go for a walk and collect 10 different objects, write about them and draw them, incorporate them into a story.

have picnics in the local park or woods, take cameras to photo things and sketch book to draw plants, insects etc.

get you local council to organise stuff in summer hols...

ransack the house and then carboot lots of stuff ..
Old Aug 31st 2005, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beebopaloola
go on a treasure hunt!!
go for a walk and collect 10 different objects, write about them and draw them, incorporate them into a story.

have picnics in the local park or woods, take cameras to photo things and sketch book to draw plants, insects etc.

get you local council to organise stuff in summer hols...

ransack the house and then carboot lots of stuff ..

Car Boot the kids!! You're a genius!

Flash.